Re: [RedHotJazz] Date of First String Bass

  • OLIVIER DOUVILLE
    Message 1 of 38 , Jul 25, 2010
      Pops Foster joint L. Russel before 1935, recorded with him since 1929

      OD
      Le 26 juil. 10 � 00:55, PETER GERLER a �crit :

      > Hey Gerry,
      >
      > You mean the first time anyone ever recorded with a big bass? Good
      > question! Maybe check out James Reese Europe or Wilbur Sweatman--
      > for pre-jazz. (Don't know about classical). As far as when it
      > became dominant, a possible point to consider is when Pops Foster
      > joined the Luis Russell band around 1935, changing the whole nature
      > of their rhythm. This was 3-4 years before Jimmy Blanton joined
      > Ellington.
      >
      > I'll be curious to see what you find!
      >
      > Peter
      >
      > On Jul 25, 2010, at 5:31 PM, Gerry wrote:
      >
      > > I'm looking for a "first date ever" for playing acoustic bass.
      > But a bigger question is when did effectively come to dominate?
      > >
      > > I'm having a heck of a time finding either date readily. Any aid
      > appreciated.
      > >
      > > -- Gerry

    • David Weiner
      Message 38 of 38 , Jul 26, 2010

        > So now limiting the discussion to "big band/large ensemble" and avoiding
        > string-bands, quartets/quintets: I had always assume that this
        > setting--for recordings--generally had tuba. As such I was looking for who
        > began using string bass as a replacement for tuba, if it concentrated in
        > one or a few individual groups.
        >
        > .
        >
        > -- Gerry

        Don't forget, Gerry, that many bands had tuba and string bass side by side
        at the same time - this is readily apparent in many of the Vitaphone shorts
        of 1927-30 - often, a band also had a banjoist and a guitarist playing
        simultaneously, too. There are numerous records - like Gus Arnheim's "One
        More Time," from 1931, where tuba is in use on the first half of the disc,
        with a switchover to string bass for the "hot" final choruses to add an
        extra measure of excitement to the performance.

        Dave Weiner