Re: [RedHotJazz] Date of First String Bass

  • Kate Simpson
    Message 1 of 38 , Jul 25, 2010
      Hi Gerry, the who and when on the bass question was as far as I know was Gaspar
      di Salo (also known as Gasparo Bertoletti) was in about 1580. He is known as the
      father of the shape of the violin as we know it today. When it became popular?
      Well it is listed in Leopold Mozart's teaching manuals I would imagine written
      about the mid 1700's, the first concerto I found listed was from Joseph Haydn
      about 1763...I hope this helps...although I do love Haydn, I prefer to listen to
      Slam Stewart...lol.

      Kate

      ________________________________
      Message 38 of 38 , Jul 26, 2010

        > So now limiting the discussion to "big band/large ensemble" and avoiding
        > string-bands, quartets/quintets: I had always assume that this
        > setting--for recordings--generally had tuba. As such I was looking for who
        > began using string bass as a replacement for tuba, if it concentrated in
        > one or a few individual groups.
        >
        > .
        >
        > -- Gerry

        Don't forget, Gerry, that many bands had tuba and string bass side by side
        at the same time - this is readily apparent in many of the Vitaphone shorts
        of 1927-30 - often, a band also had a banjoist and a guitarist playing
        simultaneously, too. There are numerous records - like Gus Arnheim's "One
        More Time," from 1931, where tuba is in use on the first half of the disc,
        with a switchover to string bass for the "hot" final choruses to add an
        extra measure of excitement to the performance.

        Dave Weiner