Classic Sounds Of New Orleans (Smithsonian announcement)

    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 14, 2010

      Smithsonian Folkways Recordings asked if I could pass on this info about a
      forecoming release - unfortunately, there is no related page on their
      website yet.
      I understand that more details, as well as a free sample, will be available
      soon as the CD out.

      For Immediate Release June 28, 2010

      From street parades to nightclubs, from church houses to dance halls, music
      has been essential to the unique culture of New Orleans, and Smithsonian
      Folkways honors the Crescent City's heritage with its 'Classic Sounds of New
      Orleans' CD, out July 27.

      Some of the most influential musicians of the 20th century emerged from New
      Orleans, including such legendary figures as Buddy Bolden, Jelly Roll
      Morton, Louis Armstrong, Mahalia Jackson, Sidney Bechet, "Fats" Domino and
      Professor Longhair. The tradition continues in the 21st century, with New
      Orleans artists such as the Marsalis family, The Neville Brothers, The Dirty
      Dozen Brass Band, Allen Toussaint, Dr. John, The Preservation Hall Jazz
      Band, Irma Thomas, The Wild Magnolias, Terrence Blanchard, Troy "Trombone
      Shorty" Andrews and Kermit Ruffins leading the second line.

      'Classic Sounds of New Orleans' is testimony to the rich and varied history
      of what could be America's most musical city (and the birthplace of jazz)
      and to the legacy of the Folkways mission to preserve it. The CD opens and
      closes with the distinctive brass band sound that turns the streets of the
      Big Easy into a big party, and also presents the sounds of the city's
      streets as chronicled by music historians Frederick Ramsey Jr. and Samuel
      Barclay Charters, who worked closely with Folkways Records founder Moses
      Asch. The sounds of a shoeshine boy, a blackberry vendor, a down-and-out
      jazzman blowing a harmonica, the ritual chants of Mardi Gras Indians, and a
      street corner evangelist illustrate how integral music is to everyday life
      in New Orleans. Three tracks bear witness to the city's deep roots in the
      tradition of African American sacred music.

      The remainder of the CD's 26 tracks are dedicated to the city's jazz and
      blues sounds. They include recordings from the Folkways archives of New
      Orleans notables such as Doc Paulin, Emile Barnes, Snooks Eaglin, Lonnie
      Johnson, Champion Jack Dupree, and staples of the New Orleans repertoire
      such as "Corrine, Corrina," "Saint James Infirmary" and "Please Don't Talk
      about Me When I'm Gone."

      The CD package includes a 32-page booklet with detailed track-by-track liner
      notes by Robert H. Cataliotti.

      "We Shall Walk through the Streets of the City (March)" by Doc Paulin will
      be available for free download from Folkways.SI.EDU on the day of release.

      Classic Sounds of New Orleans from Smithsonian Folkways
      Track Listing:
      1. Just a Little While to Stay Here - Eureka Brass Band
      2. Shine-Hambone - Shoeshine boy
      3. Tiger Rag - Freddie L. Small
      4. Blackberries! - Dora Bliggen
      5. Red White and Blue Got the Golden Band - Mardi Gras Indians
      6. Times Done Changed - Sister Dora Alexander
      7. Dark Was the Night - Rev. Lewis Jackson and Charlotte Rucell
      8. Back to the Time - Choir of Pilgrim Baptist Church
      9. We Shall Walk through the Streets of the City (Dirge) - Doc Paulin
      10. We Shall Walk through the Streets of the City (March) - Doc Paulin
      11. Bucket's Got a Hole in It - Punch Miller with Samuel B. Charters
      12. Spooky Drums #1 - Baby Dodds
      13. Milenberg Joys - Emile Barnes
      14. Clarinet Marmalade - The Six and Seven-Eighths String Band of New
      15. High Society - Snooks Eaglin
      16. Careless Love - Lonnie Johnson
      17. Lonesome Road - Billie and De De Pierce with Emile Barnes
      18. Corrine, Corrina - Kid Clayton
      19. Saint James Infirmary - Snooks Eaglin
      20. Take Your Big Leg Off Me/Easy Rider/Mama Don't 'Low No Music Playing
      Here - H. J. Boiusseau
      21. Rattlesnake Boogie - Champion Jack Dupree
      22. Please Don't Talk about Me When I'm Gone - Roosevelt Sykes
      23. Jimmy's Blues - Kid Clayton
      24. C. C. Rider - Lonnie Johnson
      25. Shake It and Break It - Emile Barnes and Lawrence Tocca with Billie
      26. Lord, Lord, Lord - Eureka Brass Band

      NOTE: Smithsonian Folkways Recordings retail distribution is through ADA
      (Alternative Distribution Alliance) at 800.239.3232. Smithsonian Folkways
      Recordings releases are available through record and book outlets.
      Smithsonian Folkways Recordings, as well as the original Folkways, Cook,
      Dyer-Bennet, Monitor, Paredon, Fast Folk, Collector, M.O.R.E., I.L.A.M. and
      A.R.C.E. collections, are available via mail order at 888.FOLKWAYS or
      800.410.9815 and via the Internet. Visit the Smithsonian Folkways Recordings
      website at http://www.folkways.si.edu and

      U.S. print media inquiries: Rob Krauser or Matt Hanks, Shore Fire Media,
      rkrauser@..., mhanks@..., or (PH) 718.522.7171

      Radio & promotional inquiries: Mark Gustafson, Smithsonian Folkways
      Recordings, gustafsonm@..., or (PH) 202.633.6457

      Online Marketing inquiries: David Horgan, Smithsonian Folkways Recordings,
      horgand@..., or (PH) 202.633.6458

      Sales inquiries: Laura Dion, Smithsonian Folkways Recordings, dionl@...,
      or (PH) 202.558.7038 and (FAX) 813.354.4592