R: [RedHotJazz] Colin Bowden - echoes of Baby Dodds

  • levi.marco@libero.it
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 11, 2010
      That's really a plenty of swing, beat, power and energy !
      Thank you for sharing such a great stuff.
      Marco Levi

      To those of you who wish that there were more drum solo recordings by Baby Dodds

      I submit the following YouTube clip from 2009 with the British drummer Colin

      Bowden. Move it up to about 1:35, crank up your stereo and subwoofer and enjoy

      some 5-6 minutes of drumming that never become boring (like a lot of other drum

      solos).

      According to the information I have Colin was 77 years old at the time of this

      recording (born 1932). I wish we all should be so spry and agile at this age!

      http://www.youtube.com/user/ulivids#p/u/43/a3foG9N0jpg

      #ygrp-mkp {
      border: 1px solid #d8d8d8;
      font-family: Arial;
      margin: 10px 0;
      padding: 0 10px;
      }

      #ygrp-mkp hr {
      border: 1px solid #d8d8d8;
      }

      #ygrp-mkp #hd {
      color: #628c2a;
      font-size: 85%;
      font-weight: 700;
      line-height: 122%;
      margin: 10px 0;
      }

      #ygrp-mkp #ads {
      margin-bottom: 10px;
      }

      #ygrp-mkp .ad {
      padding: 0 0;
      }

      #ygrp-mkp .ad a {
      color: #0000ff;
      text-decoration: none;
      }
      #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc {
      font-family: Arial;
      }

      #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc #hd {
      margin: 10px 0px;
      font-weight: 700;
      font-size: 78%;
      line-height: 122%;
      }

      #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc .ad {
      margin-bottom: 10px;
      padding: 0 0;
      }

      a {
      color: #1e66ae;
      }

      #actions {
      font-family: Verdana;
      font-size: 11px;
      padding: 10px 0;
      }

      #activity {
      background-color: #e0ecee;
      float: left;
      font-family: Verdana;
      font-size: 10px;
      padding: 10px;
      }

      #activity span {
      font-weight: 700;
      }

      #activity span:first-child {
      text-transform: uppercase;
      }

      #activity span a {
      color: #5085b6;
      text-decoration: none;
      }

      #activity span span {
      color: #ff7900;
      }

      #activity span .underline {
      text-decoration: underline;
      }

      .attach {
      clear: both;
      display: table;
      font-family: Arial;
      font-size: 12px;
      padding: 10px 0;
      width: 400px;
      }

      .attach div a {
      text-decoration: none;
      }

      .attach img {
      border: none;
      padding-right: 5px;
      }

      .attach label {
      display: block;
      margin-bottom: 5px;
      }

      .attach label a {
      text-decoration: none;
      }

      blockquote {
      margin: 0 0 0 4px;
      }

      .bold {
      font-family: Arial;
      font-size: 13px;
      font-weight: 700;
      }

      .bold a {
      text-decoration: none;
      }

      dd.last p a {
      font-family: Verdana;
      font-weight: 700;
      }

      dd.last p span {
      margin-right: 10px;
      font-family: Verdana;
      font-weight: 700;
      }

      dd.last p span.yshortcuts {
      margin-right: 0;
      }

      div.attach-table div div a {
      text-decoration: none;
      }

      div.attach-table {
      width: 400px;
      }

      div.file-title a, div.file-title a:active, div.file-title a:hover, div.file-title a:visited {
      text-decoration: none;
      }

      div.photo-title a, div.photo-title a:active, div.photo-title a:hover, div.photo-title a:visited {
      text-decoration: none;
      }

      div#ygrp-mlmsg #ygrp-msg p a span.yshortcuts {
      font-family: Verdana;
      font-size: 10px;
      font-weight: normal;
      }

      .green {
      color: #628c2a;
      }

      .MsoNormal {
      margin: 0 0 0 0;
      }

      o {
      font-size: 0;
      }

      #photos div {
      float: left;
      width: 72px;
      }

      #photos div div {
      border: 1px solid #666666;
      height: 62px;
      overflow: hidden;
      width: 62px;
      }

      #photos div label {
      color: #666666;
      font-size: 10px;
      overflow: hidden;
      text-align: center;
      white-space: nowrap;
      width: 64px;
      }

      #reco-category {
      font-size: 77%;
      }

      #reco-desc {
      font-size: 77%;
      }

      .replbq {
      margin: 4px;
      }

      #ygrp-actbar div a:first-child {

      margin-right: 2px;
      padding-right: 5px;
      }

      #ygrp-mlmsg {
      font-size: 13px;
      font-family: Arial, helvetica,clean, sans-serif;
      *font-size: small;
      *font: x-small;
      }

      #ygrp-mlmsg table {
      font-size: inherit;
      font: 100%;
      }

      #ygrp-mlmsg select, input, textarea {
      font: 99% Arial, Helvetica, clean, sans-serif;
      }

      #ygrp-mlmsg pre, code {
      font:115% monospace;
      *font-size:100%;
      }

      #ygrp-mlmsg * {
      line-height: 1.22em;
      }

      #ygrp-mlmsg #logo {
      padding-bottom: 10px;
      }

      #ygrp-mlmsg a {
      color: #1E66AE;
      }

      #ygrp-msg p a {
      font-family: Verdana;
      }

      #ygrp-msg p#attach-count span {
      color: #1E66AE;
      font-weight: 700;
      }

      #ygrp-reco #reco-head {
      color: #ff7900;
      font-weight: 700;
      }

      #ygrp-reco {
      margin-bottom: 20px;
      padding: 0px;
      }

      #ygrp-sponsor #ov li a {
      font-size: 130%;
      text-decoration: none;
      }

      #ygrp-sponsor #ov li {
      font-size: 77%;
      list-style-type: square;
      padding: 6px 0;
      }

      #ygrp-sponsor #ov ul {
      margin: 0;
      padding: 0 0 0 8px;
      }

      #ygrp-text {
      font-family: Georgia;
      }

      #ygrp-text p {
      margin: 0 0 1em 0;
      }

      #ygrp-text tt {
      font-size: 120%;
      }

      #ygrp-vital ul li:last-child {
      border-right: none !important;
      }
      ->
      #ygrp-mkp {
      border: 1px solid #d8d8d8;
      font-family: Arial;
      margin: 10px 0;
      padding: 0 10px;
      }

      #ygrp-mkp hr {
      border: 1px solid #d8d8d8;
      }

      #ygrp-mkp #hd {
      color: #628c2a;
      font-size: 85%;
      font-weight: 700;
      line-height: 122%;
      margin: 10px 0;
      }

      #ygrp-mkp #ads {
      margin-bottom: 10px;
      }

      #ygrp-mkp .ad {
      padding: 0 0;
      }

      #ygrp-mkp .ad a {
      color: #0000ff;
      text-decoration: none;
      }
      #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc {
      font-family: Arial;
      }

      #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc #hd {
      margin: 10px 0px;
      font-weight: 700;
      font-size: 78%;
      line-height: 122%;
      }

      #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc .ad {
      margin-bottom: 10px;
      padding: 0 0;
      }

      a {
      color: #1e66ae;
      }

      #actions {
      font-family: Verdana;
      font-size: 11px;
      padding: 10px 0;
      }

      #activity {
      background-color: #e0ecee;
      float: left;
      font-family: Verdana;
      font-size: 10px;
      padding: 10px;
      }

      #activity span {
      font-weight: 700;
      }

      #activity span:first-child {
      text-transform: uppercase;
      }

      #activity span a {
      color: #5085b6;
      text-decoration: none;
      }

      #activity span span {
      color: #ff7900;
      }

      #activity span .underline {
      text-decoration: underline;
      }

      .attach {
      clear: both;
      display: table;
      font-family: Arial;
      font-size: 12px;
      padding: 10px 0;
      width: 400px;
      }

      .attach div a {
      text-decoration: none;
      }

      .attach img {
      border: none;
      padding-right: 5px;
      }

      .attach label {
      display: block;
      margin-bottom: 5px;
      }

      .attach label a {
      text-decoration: none;
      }

      blockquote {
      margin: 0 0 0 4px;
      }

      .bold {
      font-family: Arial;
      font-size: 13px;
      font-weight: 700;
      }

      .bold a {
      text-decoration: none;
      }

      dd.last p a {
      font-family: Verdana;
      font-weight: 700;
      }

      dd.last p span {
      margin-right: 10px;
      font-family: Verdana;
      font-weight: 700;
      }

      dd.last p span.yshortcuts {
      margin-right: 0;
      }

      div.attach-table div div a {
      text-decoration: none;
      }

      div.attach-table {
      width: 400px;
      }

[...]

      -->

      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 14, 2010
        Hello

        Smithsonian Folkways Recordings asked if I could pass on this info about a
        forecoming release - unfortunately, there is no related page on their
        website yet.
        I understand that more details, as well as a free sample, will be available
        as
        soon as the CD out.

        Patrice

        For Immediate Release June 28, 2010

        SMITHSONIAN FOLKWAYS PAYS TRIBUTE TO THE SPIRIT OF THE CRESCENT CITY WITH
        'CLASSIC SOUNDS OF NEW ORLEANS'

        From street parades to nightclubs, from church houses to dance halls, music
        has been essential to the unique culture of New Orleans, and Smithsonian
        Folkways honors the Crescent City's heritage with its 'Classic Sounds of New
        Orleans' CD, out July 27.

        Some of the most influential musicians of the 20th century emerged from New
        Orleans, including such legendary figures as Buddy Bolden, Jelly Roll
        Morton, Louis Armstrong, Mahalia Jackson, Sidney Bechet, "Fats" Domino and
        Professor Longhair. The tradition continues in the 21st century, with New
        Orleans artists such as the Marsalis family, The Neville Brothers, The Dirty
        Dozen Brass Band, Allen Toussaint, Dr. John, The Preservation Hall Jazz
        Band, Irma Thomas, The Wild Magnolias, Terrence Blanchard, Troy "Trombone
        Shorty" Andrews and Kermit Ruffins leading the second line.

        'Classic Sounds of New Orleans' is testimony to the rich and varied history
        of what could be America's most musical city (and the birthplace of jazz)
        and to the legacy of the Folkways mission to preserve it. The CD opens and
        closes with the distinctive brass band sound that turns the streets of the
        Big Easy into a big party, and also presents the sounds of the city's
        streets as chronicled by music historians Frederick Ramsey Jr. and Samuel
        Barclay Charters, who worked closely with Folkways Records founder Moses
        Asch. The sounds of a shoeshine boy, a blackberry vendor, a down-and-out
        jazzman blowing a harmonica, the ritual chants of Mardi Gras Indians, and a
        street corner evangelist illustrate how integral music is to everyday life
        in New Orleans. Three tracks bear witness to the city's deep roots in the
        tradition of African American sacred music.

        The remainder of the CD's 26 tracks are dedicated to the city's jazz and
        blues sounds. They include recordings from the Folkways archives of New
        Orleans notables such as Doc Paulin, Emile Barnes, Snooks Eaglin, Lonnie
        Johnson, Champion Jack Dupree, and staples of the New Orleans repertoire
        such as "Corrine, Corrina," "Saint James Infirmary" and "Please Don't Talk
        about Me When I'm Gone."

        The CD package includes a 32-page booklet with detailed track-by-track liner
        notes by Robert H. Cataliotti.

        "We Shall Walk through the Streets of the City (March)" by Doc Paulin will
        be available for free download from Folkways.SI.EDU on the day of release.

        Classic Sounds of New Orleans from Smithsonian Folkways
        Track Listing:
        1. Just a Little While to Stay Here - Eureka Brass Band
        2. Shine-Hambone - Shoeshine boy
        3. Tiger Rag - Freddie L. Small
        4. Blackberries! - Dora Bliggen
        5. Red White and Blue Got the Golden Band - Mardi Gras Indians
        6. Times Done Changed - Sister Dora Alexander
        7. Dark Was the Night - Rev. Lewis Jackson and Charlotte Rucell
        8. Back to the Time - Choir of Pilgrim Baptist Church
        9. We Shall Walk through the Streets of the City (Dirge) - Doc Paulin
        10. We Shall Walk through the Streets of the City (March) - Doc Paulin
        11. Bucket's Got a Hole in It - Punch Miller with Samuel B. Charters
        12. Spooky Drums #1 - Baby Dodds
        13. Milenberg Joys - Emile Barnes
        14. Clarinet Marmalade - The Six and Seven-Eighths String Band of New
        Orleans
        15. High Society - Snooks Eaglin
        16. Careless Love - Lonnie Johnson
        17. Lonesome Road - Billie and De De Pierce with Emile Barnes
        18. Corrine, Corrina - Kid Clayton
        19. Saint James Infirmary - Snooks Eaglin
        20. Take Your Big Leg Off Me/Easy Rider/Mama Don't 'Low No Music Playing
        Here - H. J. Boiusseau
        21. Rattlesnake Boogie - Champion Jack Dupree
        22. Please Don't Talk about Me When I'm Gone - Roosevelt Sykes
        23. Jimmy's Blues - Kid Clayton
        24. C. C. Rider - Lonnie Johnson
        25. Shake It and Break It - Emile Barnes and Lawrence Tocca with Billie
        Pierce
        26. Lord, Lord, Lord - Eureka Brass Band

        NOTE: Smithsonian Folkways Recordings retail distribution is through ADA
        (Alternative Distribution Alliance) at 800.239.3232. Smithsonian Folkways
        Recordings releases are available through record and book outlets.
        Smithsonian Folkways Recordings, as well as the original Folkways, Cook,
        Dyer-Bennet, Monitor, Paredon, Fast Folk, Collector, M.O.R.E., I.L.A.M. and
        A.R.C.E. collections, are available via mail order at 888.FOLKWAYS or
        800.410.9815 and via the Internet. Visit the Smithsonian Folkways Recordings
        website at http://www.folkways.si.edu and
        http://www.smithsonianglobalsound.org

        U.S. print media inquiries: Rob Krauser or Matt Hanks, Shore Fire Media,
        rkrauser@..., mhanks@..., or (PH) 718.522.7171

        Radio & promotional inquiries: Mark Gustafson, Smithsonian Folkways
        Recordings, gustafsonm@..., or (PH) 202.633.6457

        Online Marketing inquiries: David Horgan, Smithsonian Folkways Recordings,
        horgand@..., or (PH) 202.633.6458

        Sales inquiries: Laura Dion, Smithsonian Folkways Recordings, dionl@...,
        or (PH) 202.558.7038 and (FAX) 813.354.4592