RE: [RedHotJazz] String Bass Players

    Message 1 of 18 , Jul 1, 2010
      I'm interested in the claim that Bill Johnson 'invented N.O. bass playing.' I've searched my sources in vain for confirmation. Where is this from JT ?

      According to Chilton, he took up string bass in 1900 and left N.O. for California in 1909. Unfortunately, although photos prove he played bass with Oliver, we only have him on banjo. However, he is heard in full glory on the Dodds Victors.

      In his autobiography, Pops Foster, who was playing professionally in N.O. bands from 1906, only mentions Johnson in passing but recalls Henry Kimball ( born 1878) with John Robichaux's band as 'a wonderful bass player.' He also recalls Bolden's bassist Jim Johnson, 'an older guy than me'.

      I speculate that N.O. bass style was communally 'invented' and probably developed naturally from the switch from primarily arco playing to primarily pizzicato. I have never found a definitive account of this transition. Anybody got anything ?

    • Mordechai Litzman
      Message 2 of 18 , Jul 1, 2010
        The 1927 New Orleans recordings of Sam Morgan's Band feature excellent string bass playing by Sidney Brown.

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 18 , Jul 1, 2010
          While I can't really add anything to the legends surrounding the genesis of New Orleans bass playing, I'd like to point out that Jimmy Johnson actually recorded with Don Albert in 1935 or thereabouts. Apparently the first recorded samples of New Orleans bass playing are Ed Garland with Kid Ory in 1922. The recent Off the Record New Orleans double CD has all six titles and on some, the string bass can be heard, albeit faintly.

          Michael Rader

          ---------------------
[...]

          <!--~-|**|PrettyHtmlStart|**|-~-->

          <!--~-|**|PrettyHtmlEnd|**|-~-->
        • don higgins
          Message 4 of 18 , Jul 2, 2010
            all this fue frawh.....the best playing i have EVER heard is steve browns work on goldkettes "my pretty girl # 2". who among you has better???? he was a very early player and if he played like that @ 15 yrs old he surley paved the way.

            Message 5 of 18 , Jul 2, 2010
              Michael
              Jimmy Johnson recorded 8 titles w Don Albert in late 1936, it must be said that one of the trombonists doubles on tuba, which is why you hear a tuba at the end of "The Sheik Of Araby" - will give more info this weekend
              Yves

              Message 6 of 18 , Aug 12, 2010
                You may want to give Ed Garland a listen. He recorded some really nice stuff with Ory in the forties, including a pretty bowed solo on Mutt's Blues.

                --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, reid1947@... wrote:

                > Hi All,
                > Not long ago someone (my apologies) remarked on string bass players of
                > distinction and named John Lindsay from the Peppers and Steve Brown.
                > I have been listening to my 3mp player all this week, and I would like to
                > add, in my opinion, 3 more notables.
                > The bass player with Cab Calloway (I have been working away, so I haven't
                > had a chance to check out his name.) on "Aw You Dog"; the track without the
                > dog bark at the end.
                > "Pops" Foster with The Luis Russell Orchestra, especially on "Doctor Blues"
                > and "Give Me Your Telephone Number".(What a superb band. They are up there
                > with the Peppers.)
                > Walter Page on "Honeysuckle Rose" from Benny's 1938 Carnegie Hall concert.
                > I'm working on a few more.
                >
                > Peter L.

              • fearfeasa
                Message 7 of 18 , Aug 13, 2010
                  Cab Calloway's bass player : Al Morgan from NO, brother of Sam, Ike
                  and Andrew.

                  JT

                  Ar 13/08/10 04:08 :21, scríobh ory1886:

                  > You may want to give Ed Garland a listen. He recorded some really nice
                  > stuff with Ory in the forties, including a pretty bowed solo on Mutt's
                  > Blues.
                  >
                  > --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com
                  > <mailto:RedHotJazz%40yahoogroups.com>, reid1947@... wrote:
                  > >

                  > > Hi All,
                  > > Not long ago someone (my apologies) remarked on string bass players of
                  > > distinction and named John Lindsay from the Peppers and Steve Brown.
                  > > I have been listening to my 3mp player all this week, and I would
                  > like to
                  > > add, in my opinion, 3 more notables.
                  > > The bass player with Cab Calloway (I have been working away, so I
                  > haven't
                  > > had a chance to check out his name.) on "Aw You Dog"; the track
                  > without the
                  > > dog bark at the end.
                  > > "Pops" Foster with The Luis Russell Orchestra, especially on "Doctor
                  > Blues"
                  > > and "Give Me Your Telephone Number".(What a superb band. They are up
                  > there
                  > > with the Peppers.)
                  > > Walter Page on "Honeysuckle Rose" from Benny's 1938 Carnegie Hall
                  > concert.
                  > > I'm working on a few more.
                  > >
                  > > Peter L.

                • hans.eekhoff
                  Message 8 of 18 , Aug 13, 2010
                    Al Morgan was indeed superb - just look and listen to the last tune of this film!

                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEoTwTYnc6g

                    Hans Eekhoff

                    --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, fearfeasa <fearfeasa@...> wrote:

                    > Cab Calloway's bass player : Al Morgan from NO, brother of Sam, Ike
                    > and Andrew.
                    >
                    > JT
                    >
                    > Ar 13/08/10 04:08 :21, scríobh ory1886:
                    > >
                    > > You may want to give Ed Garland a listen. He recorded some really nice
                    > > stuff with Ory in the forties, including a pretty bowed solo on Mutt's
                    > > Blues.
                    > >
                    > > --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com
                    > > <mailto:RedHotJazz%40yahoogroups.com>, reid1947@ wrote:
                    > > >

                    > > > Hi All,
                    > > > Not long ago someone (my apologies) remarked on string bass players of
                    > > > distinction and named John Lindsay from the Peppers and Steve Brown.
                    > > > I have been listening to my 3mp player all this week, and I would
                    > > like to
                    > > > add, in my opinion, 3 more notables.
                    > > > The bass player with Cab Calloway (I have been working away, so I
                    > > haven't
                    > > > had a chance to check out his name.) on "Aw You Dog"; the track
                    > > without the
                    > > > dog bark at the end.
                    > > > "Pops" Foster with The Luis Russell Orchestra, especially on "Doctor
                    > > Blues"
                    > > > and "Give Me Your Telephone Number".(What a superb band. They are up
                    > > there
                    > > > with the Peppers.)
                    > > > Walter Page on "Honeysuckle Rose" from Benny's 1938 Carnegie Hall
                    > > concert.
                    > > > I'm working on a few more.
                    > > >
                    > > > Peter L.

                  • Randy Skretvedt
                    Message 9 of 18 , Aug 13, 2010
                      Is Al Morgan playing bass on brother Sam's record of "Steppin' on the Gas"? That has a particularly propulsive bass--it really moves that performance along. So does Steve Brown on Goldkette's "My Pretty Girl" and the earliest take of Paul Whiteman's "From Monday On." (Two later takes substitute a tuba, and they're not nearly as exciting.)

                      --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "hans.eekhoff" <oriole@...> wrote:

                      > Al Morgan was indeed superb - just look and listen to the last tune of this film!
                      >
                      > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEoTwTYnc6g
                      >
                      > Hans Eekhoff
                      >

                      > --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, fearfeasa <fearfeasa@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Cab Calloway's bass player : Al Morgan from NO, brother of Sam, Ike
                      > > and Andrew.
                      > >
                      > > JT
                      > >
                      > > Ar 13/08/10 04:08 :21, scríobh ory1886:
                      > > >
                      > > > You may want to give Ed Garland a listen. He recorded some really nice
                      > > > stuff with Ory in the forties, including a pretty bowed solo on Mutt's
                      > > > Blues.
                      > > >
                      > > > --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com

                      > > > like to
                      > > > haven't
                      > > > without the
                      > > > Blues"
                      > > > there
                      > > > concert.

                    • fearfeasa
                      Message 10 of 18 , Aug 13, 2010
                        No, that's Sidney Brown.

                        JT

                        Ar 13/08/10 19:37 :06, scríobh Randy Skretvedt:

                        > Is Al Morgan playing bass on brother Sam's record of "Steppin' on the
                        > Gas"? That has a particularly propulsive bass--it really moves that
                        > performance along. So does Steve Brown on Goldkette's "My Pretty Girl"
                        > and the earliest take of Paul Whiteman's "From Monday On." (Two later
                        > takes substitute a tuba, and they're not nearly as exciting.)
                        >
                        > --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com
                        > <mailto:RedHotJazz%40yahoogroups.com>, "hans.eekhoff" <oriole@...> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Al Morgan was indeed superb - just look and listen to the last tune
                        > of this film!
                        > >
                        > > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEoTwTYnc6g
                        > >
                        > > Hans Eekhoff
                        > >

                        > > --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com
                        > <mailto:RedHotJazz%40yahoogroups.com>, fearfeasa <fearfeasa@> wrote:
                        > > >
                        > > > Cab Calloway's bass player : Al Morgan from NO, brother of Sam, Ike
                        > > > and Andrew.
                        > > >
                        > > > JT
                        > > >
                        > > > Ar 13/08/10 04:08 :21, scríobh ory1886:

                        > really nice
                        > Mutt's

                        > <mailto:RedHotJazz%40yahoogroups.com>

                        > players of
                        > Brown.
                        > "Doctor
                        > are up

                      • jfpitet
                        Message 11 of 18 , Aug 14, 2010
                          Hi everyone,

                          I'm just plugging in the conversation but if ever you want to read a short biography about Al MORGAN, especially during his stay with Cab Calloway, please visit my website : http://www.thehidehoblog.com/index.php?sujet_id=7092

                          Jeff Pitet
                          thehidehoblog@...
                          www.thehidehoblog.com

                          Message 12 of 18 , Aug 15, 2010
                            Thanks, Jeff. Great website ! Chouette.

                            JT

                            Ar 14/08/10 21:09 :58, scríobh jfpitet:

                            > Hi everyone,
                            >
                            > I'm just plugging in the conversation but if ever you want to read a
                            > short biography about Al MORGAN, especially during his stay with Cab
                            > Calloway, please visit my website :
                            > http://www.thehidehoblog.com/index.php?sujet_id=7092
                            >
                            > Jeff Pitet
                            > thehidehoblog@... <mailto:thehidehoblog%40gmail.com>
                            > www.thehidehoblog.com
                            >
                            > --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com
                            > <mailto:RedHotJazz%40yahoogroups.com>, "Randy Skretvedt"
                            > <forwardintothepast@...> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > Is Al Morgan playing bass on brother Sam's record of "Steppin' on
                            > the Gas"? That has a particularly propulsive bass--it really moves
                            > that performance along. So does Steve Brown on Goldkette's "My Pretty
                            > Girl" and the earliest take of Paul Whiteman's "From Monday On." (Two
                            > later takes substitute a tuba, and they're not nearly as exciting.)

                          • Agustin Perez Gasco
                            Message 13 of 18 , Aug 20, 2010
                              Dear list

                              Recently, someone in other jazz email list reported that several tracks on discs
                              1 & 2 of the Armstrong Decca Mosaic have been transfered at the wrong speed,
                              what makes it a difference of up to a half tone.

                              As I don't have that boxed set yet, could anybody confirm this?

                              (sorry if this has been discussed before or it is common knowledge, but I made a
                              quick search through the group's archives and could find anything related)

                              Best regards,
                              Agustín Pérez
                            • silverleafjb
                              Message 14 of 18 , Aug 29, 2010
                                Augustin - It might be useful to know which tracks you think are suspect. For the most part, I've found that Armstrong tending to play tunes in the written key. So anyone with a sheet music collection could confirm the correct key for various pieces.

                                Cheers,
                                Chris