RE: [RedHotJazz] Re: Johnny Dodds

    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 1, 2010
      Belatedly. We have here previously considered the relative merits of the
      Retrieval and Archeophone Oliver CJB issues -- and I don't know where the O
      crept in from.

      Ideally, one should own both although generally the JRT Davies
      transcriptions on the Retrieval sound more like real music, even if
      sometimes less detail is discernable. Archeophone did have better sources in
      several cases, especially the OKehs, but JRT's Columbias are far better.

      Dodds, and any music from our period, is still best heard on JRT versions
      which means the two Frogs and the Timeless with Blythe, although as far as I
      know the tracks still run in wrong order, and the old JSP 1926-1928.

      As far as I know, regrettably no JRT of the Paramounts including the Lovie
      Austins. I don't have the Black Swans and am somewhat sceptical of the sound
      quality from that stable. Can anybody report and is there a CD alternative ?