Re: Johnny Dodds

  • Robert
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 23, 2010
      …oh and there's an anthology on Upbeat that includes his last recordings and regarding which I dutifully contributed a rave review for New Orleans Music magazine when it came out a couple of years ago. It's great because it's Dodds, but infuriating because it's an anthology and as such can't be recommended over the more scholarly issues on Frog, Retrieval, Black Swan, Archaeophone, and Timeless.

      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 1 1:16 AM
        Belatedly. We have here previously considered the relative merits of the
        Retrieval and Archeophone Oliver CJB issues -- and I don't know where the O
        crept in from.

        Ideally, one should own both although generally the JRT Davies
        transcriptions on the Retrieval sound more like real music, even if
        sometimes less detail is discernable. Archeophone did have better sources in
        several cases, especially the OKehs, but JRT's Columbias are far better.

        Dodds, and any music from our period, is still best heard on JRT versions
        which means the two Frogs and the Timeless with Blythe, although as far as I
        know the tracks still run in wrong order, and the old JSP 1926-1928.

        As far as I know, regrettably no JRT of the Paramounts including the Lovie
        Austins. I don't have the Black Swans and am somewhat sceptical of the sound
        quality from that stable. Can anybody report and is there a CD alternative ?