Impresario Max van Gelder

  • Jack
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 18, 2010
      Rob,

      That's a great photo of Ben Pickering and Eddie Bave in the files section. If you notice, the top of the signboard lists Max van Gelder as the director of the Caberet Artistique. I'm not sure of the exact location, but I believe that the photo was taken in Amsterdam. It certainly was taken someplae in the Netherlands. Max van Gelder was a big impresario in those days, and he did a lot to encourage jazz. He was born in the 1870s and died in 1943. I'm not sure if Max van Gelder the jazz harmonica player is related to him or not, but it may be.

      I noticed that the poster says the Georgians are included in the show. I know that, when they recorded in Europe, in Geneva, they were called the World Known Georgians and not just the Georgians. But maybe they did part of their tour(s) as the Georgians, and used the World Known Georgians only for recording, though I heard that they were generally known in Europe as the World Known Georgians. Top bad my great-uncle Ted Noyes isn't in that photo. Maybe he was recovering and the rest of the band were recovering from the night before.

      Regarding Max van Gelder the impressario, I downloaded a pdf file on his that seems to have a lot of information; but it's in Dutch, and I can't read Dutch. Perhaps if there are any members from the Netherlands, they could translate it. It's 8 pages; so, it might take some time to translate it all. I don't have the link for it right now, but I'll look it up and post it.

      Jack

      Jack
    • Rob Billeaud
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 18, 2010
        I wish I had your knowledge of early jazz, it would make so much more sense going through all of this stuff I have.  I have so many photos with no description of who they are and I wish I knew.  A lot of the early photos c. 1920's have small bands featuring banjos, so I'm guessing they were jazz acts, but I have no point of reference.  In addition there are a lot of documents and letters, some in Dutch, some in German of which I can read neither.  They may yeild additional tantalizing details.  I would love to be able to sit with someone who reads German and Dutch and has some knowledge of early 20th century jazz and organize my collection. This is museum quality stuff that I'm sure would be of value to music history buffs.  It is a shame that I never really got to know my uncle before Alzheimers got him - all I have is rare memories of his infrequent visits - but he seems now to have been such a fascinating character and I notice that I seem to
        be interested in a lot of the same things he was.

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 18, 2010
          My knowledge, Rob, as far from as great as you might think. You didn't pay enough attention to your great-uncle Ben Pickering while he was still lucid. I never really had a chance to know my great-uncle Ted Noyes when he was alive. My father was the one who had the knowledge, of both jazz and swing. Unfortunately, I didn't listen enough to him. Much went in one ear and out the other; but, somehow, some got retained, locked in the file cabinets of my mind. Now, unfortunately, he's dead (he passed away in 2006), and I only wish he was alive to give me all his knowledge, now that I'm finally interested in his--and Ted's--music. I was into the blues myself (both folk blues and the later electric type, from the Delta to Chicago), and he appreciated that. He also liked some of black blues musicians like Memphis Slim and T-Bone Walker, who lived and recorded in Europe. Anyway, I'm learning, just like you are.

          Jack

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 20, 2010
            Max ven Gelder's Cabaret Artistique was in Scheveningen on the Dutch North Sea coast near The Hague.
            The Georgians performed there as well as in the Kurhaus Hotel (also in Scheveningen) in 1926.
            The article from the magazine of the Dutch Jazz Archive is about the perception of jazz by the general public in the Netherlands in the late teens and early twenties. It does not mention the Georgians.
            Hans Eekhoff

            --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "Jack" <scara9mouche@...> wrote:

            > Rob,
            >
            > That's a great photo of Ben Pickering and Eddie Bave in the files section. If you notice, the top of the signboard lists Max van Gelder as the director of the Caberet Artistique. I'm not sure of the exact location, but I believe that the photo was taken in Amsterdam. It certainly was taken someplae in the Netherlands. Max van Gelder was a big impresario in those days, and he did a lot to encourage jazz. He was born in the 1870s and died in 1943. I'm not sure if Max van Gelder the jazz harmonica player is related to him or not, but it may be.
            >
            > I noticed that the poster says the Georgians are included in the show. I know that, when they recorded in Europe, in Geneva, they were called the World Known Georgians and not just the Georgians. But maybe they did part of their tour(s) as the Georgians, and used the World Known Georgians only for recording, though I heard that they were generally known in Europe as the World Known Georgians. Top bad my great-uncle Ted Noyes isn't in that photo. Maybe he was recovering and the rest of the band were recovering from the night before.
            >
            > Regarding Max van Gelder the impressario, I downloaded a pdf file on his that seems to have a lot of information; but it's in Dutch, and I can't read Dutch. Perhaps if there are any members from the Netherlands, they could translate it. It's 8 pages; so, it might take some time to translate it all. I don't have the link for it right now, but I'll look it up and post it.
            >
            > Jack
            >
            > Jack

          • Jack
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 22, 2010
              Thanks, Hans, for the clarification. Jack