RE: [RedHotJazz] Cabaret Echoes: New Orleans Jazzers at Work 1918-1927

  • Ron L'Herault
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 15, 2010
      I believe Rob Bamberger was playing cuts from this on his show "Hot Jazz
      Saturday Night", over WAMU.org recently. What I heard sounded very well
      without being over-restored. The music was great, of course.

      Ron L

      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 15, 2010
        One interesting feature is the addition of comments/interviews with some of the musicians involved. The booklet states that the session by Russ Papalia and the New Orleans R.K. session(s) from New Orleans will be reissued on another OTR release. The booklet also dutifully notes the correct speeds of the originals (presumably used for restoration) and points out that it is possible to hear Ed Garland's bass at several points on the sides by Kid Ory. This might be true, although the sound is nothing like a well-recorded bass, e.g. Steve Brown with Goldkette, John Lindsay with Morton etc. For me, the improvement in audio quality is most startling on the pair of sides by Willie Hightower (also heard talking about the record), which was a rare Black Patti.

        Michael Rader

        [http://www.amazon.com/Cabaret-Echoes-Orleans-Jazzers-1918-1927/dp/tracks/B00%5d
        3M1PSW4/ref=dp_tracks_all_1#disc_1

        Best regards,