Re: [RedHotJazz] Thomas Jefferson 1920-

  • fearfeasa
    Message 1 of 6 , May 25, 2010
      The information I gave in my last post came from some old notes I'd made
      without noting the source. I've just done an Internet search and came up
      with the following:

      Scott Yanow
      (http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=11:h9foxq95ldfe~T1) gives
      the following biographical summary for Thomas Jefferson:

      Born: Jun 20, 1920 in Chicago, IL. One of the finest trumpeters in New
      Orleans during the 1950s and 60s, Thomas Jefferson played drums and
      French horn briefly before settling on trumpet. He worked with Oscar
      Celestin's Tuxedo Orchestra in 1936 and then locally in New Orleans with
      Sidney Desvignes, Jump Jackson, and others. He recorded in the 1950s
      with Johnny St. Cyr, Santo Pecora, and George Lewis. Of Jefferson's own
      infrequent sessions as a leader, a 1960 date for Southland (in which he
      is just joined by a rhythm section) is definitive and a 1974 session for
      Storyville is also excellent. Thomas Jefferson's idol has always been
      Louis Armstrong.

      JAZZ @ THE TEN SPOT (http://www.ncpr.org/tenspot/pages/10cal/june.htm)
      in its Jazz Calendar entry for musicians born on the 20 June has the
      following:

      Thomas Jefferson, Trumpet, 1920-1986, Chicago, IL

      The above references don't cite their sources: I'd be inclined to trust
      Clive Wilson's version of the DoB, as reported by Howard, rather than
      the above. Clive has always been a meticulous researcher.

      When I spoke to him in New Orleans in 1979 or 1980, Jefferson told me he
      had been born in Chicago. The Family Album entry suggesting that he was
      born in New Orleans c. 1923 looks to me like a typical piece of Al Rose
      guesswork.

      J.T.Dyamond.