RE: Shelton 'Scad' Hemphill

  • Agustin Perez Gasco
    Message 1 of 11 , May 18, 2010
      Howard and David

      According to the New DESOR, Hemphill also can be heard on:

      -Blues Skies (aka Trumpet No End) (Nov. 22, 1948) - CBS broadcast from the Click Restaurant, Philadelphia, issued for the first time on AFRS OS 1830. He takes 16 bars with the full orchestra starting the 5th chorus.
      -Memphis Blues (Apr. 19, 1947) - unissued from the Cornell University concert, Ithaca. He takes the first chorus.
      -Memphis Blues (July 25, 1947) - Ciro's club, LA, issued for the first time on AFRS SB-1044. He takes the second chorus.
      -Memphis Blues (Aug. 31, 1947) - Hollywood Bowl, LA, issued for the first time on UJ 001. He takes the first chorus.
      -Mood Indigo (Aug. 25, 1945) - ABC broadcast from Fieldstone Ballrom, Marshfield, issued for the first time on AFRS DWTD-47. He takes the first chorus, alongside Harry Carney on clarinet and Joe Nanton.
      -This I Love Above All (May 31, 1944) - Hurricane Restaurante, unissued. He takes the first eight bars of the second (and non-complete) chorus, followed by ten bars of Johnny Hodges.

      Regarding

      <<plays the trumpet solos in the first chorus of Trumpet No End from the 13 November 1948 Carnegie Hall concert (Vintage Jazz Classics 1025-2). DESOR says the same TNE routine is heard on 27 December 1947 (Prestige P24075), but they seem to be saying that Hemphill is the trumpeter in the fourth chorus>>

      ... the New DESOR lists Ray Nance as the trumpet soloist in the first chorus (not Hemphill). Hemphill is listed playing over the band in the first 16 bars of the fourth (non-complete) chorus, followed by four bars by Ray Nance, two by the band, two by Ray Nance and six by Al Killian playing over the band. The song ends with a ten-bar coda by Al Killian & the band.

      Best regards,
      Agustín Pérez

      --------------------------------------
      Mule Walk & Jazz Talk:  http://thereisjazzbeforetrane.blogspot.com/

      ________________________________
      From: Howard Rye howard@...

      According to Eddie Lambert¹s Listeners Guide to Duke Ellington he can be heard on the 1947 Capitol transcriptions of Memphis Blues (9 June) and Azalea (10 June) and plays the trumpet solos in the first chorus of Trumpet No End from the 13 November 1948 Carnegie Hall concert (Vintage Jazz
      Classics 1025-2). DESOR says the same TNE routine is heard on 27 December 1947 (Prestige P24075), but they seem to be saying that Hemphill is the trumpeter in the fourth chorus. He also solos on A Door Will Open of which the version from One Night Stand 763 (21 October 1945) and Date With The Duke 62 (3 November 1945) have been commercially issued (Joyce 1066 and DETS 30 respectively.) It¹s not much and what there is is not very accessible.

      on 14/05/2010 11:31, David Brown at johnhaleysims@... wrote:
      > I'm looking for solos by the above. I know the one Bessie session.

    • Agustin Perez Gasco
      Message 2 of 11 , May 18, 2010
        Ira Gitler's and Leonard Feather's 'The Biographical Encyclopedia of Jazz" doesn't list any death date either. And I haven't found it in any reliable source.

        Best regards,
        Agustín Pérez
        Madrid

        From: Howard Rye howard@...

        As Anderson would be 100 on 1 July it seems likely he himself is no longer
        with us, but my notes on deaths are not up to date!

        Message 3 of 11 , May 19, 2010
          Many thanks Agustin & Howard.

          Can anybody supply d.o.d. for Ed ?

          Chilton has him only up to 1941 when 'he left full-time music and --
          ceased playing several years ago.'

          An untimely and sad loss to the music, as testified by the extremely fine
          playing with Joe Sullivan.

        • Bob Smith
          Message 4 of 11 , May 19, 2010
            The Danish "Who's Who in Jazz" doesn't give a date of death for Ed Anderson in the 1969 edition. This means he was probably still alive in 1969, but can also mean that no information was found.

            Cheers

            Bob Smith

          • Agustin Perez Gasco
            Message 5 of 11 , May 20, 2010
              John Chilton's Who's Who of Jazz (1970) states that he's alive at that time: "...ceased playing several years ago, but continues to live in New York City".

              A fellow researcher checked the social security death index a few days ago, but couldn't find Ed Anderson. That could mean that he's still alive, but that's not the most probable event.

              Best regards,
              Agustín Pérez
              Madrid

              From: Bob Smith robert.smith@...

              Message 6 of 11 , May 20, 2010
                Thanks Bob & Agustin

                I have just tried the 'Jazz Museum In Harlem' which may also have contact to
                Dr Vollmer.

                I'll report any results