Re: [RedHotJazz] Re: Laurie Wright

    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 27, 2010
      Many of the Storyville books were still available at the time of Laurie¹s
      death. I imagine this would be a very bad time to be making enquiries, but
      as soon as I can find out what arrangements are being made, I¹ll let people
      know.

      Laurie regarded himself as a disciple of Walt Allen¹s approach to research.

      (And, hello and welcome, Ralph.)

      on 27/04/2010 11:01, rwondraschek at rwondra@... wrote:

      > I had hoped to have something more enlightning to comment about in my first
      > message in this group.
      > Laurie's passing came as very sad news indeed, and also brought back old
      > memories of two visits to his home (while I was in England at JRT's place with
      > original 78s for some "Jazz Oracle" reissue projects about 10 years ago). I
      > still remember Laurie's enthusiasm while we listened to some nice Oliver
      > Creole Jazz Band 78s, despite his failing sense of hearing...
      > It was his "Storyville" mag which introduced me to the "real thing" when, as a
      > 19-year-old during a visit to London in 1987, I discovered a copy at Dobell's
      > Record Shop. After that quickly came along Trevor's "VJM", Lennie's "Record
      > Research", and suddenly I realized I had become a 78rpm collector - and since
      > then I'm constantly out of money (smiles!!!).
      > His publications were the ones I must avidly read during those formative
      > years, and the Vintage Jazz community would be indefinetively poorer without
      > them. I think his scholarship was of the highest order, on a par with W.C.
      > Allen.
      >
      > By the way, does anybody know if some of his books are still available from
      > his widow ? - I missed to purchase his Preston Jackson biography.
      >
      > Laurie, R.I.P., but continue to romp'n'stomp'messaround!!!
      >
      > As Lennie Kunstadt used to say:
      > "Cheers",
      > Ralph
      >
      > --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com <mailto:RedHotJazz%40yahoogroups.com> ,
      > "hans.eekhoff" <oriole@...> wrote:
      >> >
      >> > The sad news of Laurie's death brings back old memories of the early days
      >> of Storyville and the occasions when Max Vreede and I visited Laurie at
      >> Chigwell.
      >> > Laurie did a lot for us with his many publications - I feel priviliged to
      >> have known him.
      >> > At the same time this makes me realise what a great pity it is that there
      >> is no longer a "Storyville".
      >> > Our 78 hobby isn't half as much fun as it used to be.....
      >> >
      >> > Hans Eekhoff
      >> >

      >> > --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com <mailto:RedHotJazz%40yahoogroups.com> ,

      >>> and helpful, and this through written correspondence (we never met in
      >>> person). Jazz research will always owe a great deal to him.

    • Robert
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 27, 2010

        > Many of the Storyville books were still available at the time of Laurie¹s
        > death.

        This is perhaps not terribly helpful but someone on this list may know who I'm talking about. A chap at Croydon Record Fair (held twice a year) always has a small supply of Storyville books for sale at slightly discounted prices. The only other items at his stall, as far as I can remember, are copies of the Frog CDs. Perhaps someone has contact details for him as a source, for the time being, for the Storyville stable of books?
        Robert Greenwood