Re: Laurie Wright

  • rwondraschek
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 27, 2010
      I had hoped to have something more enlightning to comment about in my first message in this group.
      Laurie's passing came as very sad news indeed, and also brought back old memories of two visits to his home (while I was in England at JRT's place with original 78s for some "Jazz Oracle" reissue projects about 10 years ago). I still remember Laurie's enthusiasm while we listened to some nice Oliver Creole Jazz Band 78s, despite his failing sense of hearing...
      It was his "Storyville" mag which introduced me to the "real thing" when, as a 19-year-old during a visit to London in 1987, I discovered a copy at Dobell's Record Shop. After that quickly came along Trevor's "VJM", Lennie's "Record Research", and suddenly I realized I had become a 78rpm collector - and since then I'm constantly out of money (smiles!!!).
      His publications were the ones I must avidly read during those formative years, and the Vintage Jazz community would be indefinetively poorer without them. I think his scholarship was of the highest order, on a par with W.C. Allen.

      By the way, does anybody know if some of his books are still available from his widow ? - I missed to purchase his Preston Jackson biography.

      Laurie, R.I.P., but continue to romp'n'stomp'messaround!!!

      As Lennie Kunstadt used to say:
      "Cheers",
      Ralph

      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 27, 2010
        Many of the Storyville books were still available at the time of Laurie¹s
        death. I imagine this would be a very bad time to be making enquiries, but
        as soon as I can find out what arrangements are being made, I¹ll let people
        know.

        Laurie regarded himself as a disciple of Walt Allen¹s approach to research.

        (And, hello and welcome, Ralph.)

        on 27/04/2010 11:01, rwondraschek at rwondra@... wrote:

        > I had hoped to have something more enlightning to comment about in my first
        > message in this group.
        > Laurie's passing came as very sad news indeed, and also brought back old
        > memories of two visits to his home (while I was in England at JRT's place with
        > original 78s for some "Jazz Oracle" reissue projects about 10 years ago). I
        > still remember Laurie's enthusiasm while we listened to some nice Oliver
        > Creole Jazz Band 78s, despite his failing sense of hearing...
        > It was his "Storyville" mag which introduced me to the "real thing" when, as a
        > 19-year-old during a visit to London in 1987, I discovered a copy at Dobell's
        > Record Shop. After that quickly came along Trevor's "VJM", Lennie's "Record
        > Research", and suddenly I realized I had become a 78rpm collector - and since
        > then I'm constantly out of money (smiles!!!).
        > His publications were the ones I must avidly read during those formative
        > years, and the Vintage Jazz community would be indefinetively poorer without
        > them. I think his scholarship was of the highest order, on a par with W.C.
        > Allen.
        >
        > By the way, does anybody know if some of his books are still available from
        > his widow ? - I missed to purchase his Preston Jackson biography.
        >
        > Laurie, R.I.P., but continue to romp'n'stomp'messaround!!!
        >
        > As Lennie Kunstadt used to say:
        > "Cheers",
        > Ralph
        >
        > --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com <mailto:RedHotJazz%40yahoogroups.com> ,
        > "hans.eekhoff" <oriole@...> wrote:
        >> >
        >> > The sad news of Laurie's death brings back old memories of the early days
        >> of Storyville and the occasions when Max Vreede and I visited Laurie at
        >> Chigwell.
        >> > Laurie did a lot for us with his many publications - I feel priviliged to
        >> have known him.
        >> > At the same time this makes me realise what a great pity it is that there
        >> is no longer a "Storyville".
        >> > Our 78 hobby isn't half as much fun as it used to be.....
        >> >
        >> > Hans Eekhoff
        >> >

        >> > --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com <mailto:RedHotJazz%40yahoogroups.com> ,

        >>> and helpful, and this through written correspondence (we never met in
        >>> person). Jazz research will always owe a great deal to him.

      • Robert
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 27, 2010

          > Many of the Storyville books were still available at the time of Laurie¹s
          > death.

          This is perhaps not terribly helpful but someone on this list may know who I'm talking about. A chap at Croydon Record Fair (held twice a year) always has a small supply of Storyville books for sale at slightly discounted prices. The only other items at his stall, as far as I can remember, are copies of the Frog CDs. Perhaps someone has contact details for him as a source, for the time being, for the Storyville stable of books?
          Robert Greenwood