Laurie Wright

    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 2, 2010
      Laurie Wright, editor and publisher of Storyville magazine from 1965 to
      1995, died in London on 28 March 2010. He was also author of the standard
      bio-discographies of Jelly Roll Morton, King Oliver, and Fats Waller,
      publisher of several editions of both Jazz Records 1897-1942 and Blues &
      Gospel Records 1902-1943 and many other serious contributions to
      scholarship. After his ³retirement², he produced and published several
      volumes of similar research material on vintage jazz and blues. He was 81.

    • ROBERT R. CALDER
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 2, 2010
        a very nice man, with whom I had too little contact, and without whom, indeed, a great deal wouldn't have happened. I remember the attempts to co-ordinate or connect collectors and those with knowledge and archives, so that rare things wouldn't get lost.
        I also remember his expression of gratitude to his parents for giving him the same name as a music publisher, which in time led to people of interest to researchers contacting him in their search for Lawrence Wright & co., and us reaping the benefit of his assiduous following-up of the leads this provided.
        I'm sure quite a number of people would want their gratitude to be expressed to his family and closer friends
        as I do,

        Robert R. Calder

        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 4, 2010
          Very sad news. Laurie was responsible for a lot of work which will
          continue to give pleasure for many years to come. All "Storyville"
          publications are a mine of information which rewards careful reading, as
          I've realised yet again only recently. My sympathies go out to his family.

          Michael Rader
          Karlsruhe, Germany
        • Dan Van Landingham
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 4, 2010
            I'm not familiar with Laurie Wright.Who was he?

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 4, 2010
              Here is the obituary I have been circulating as a press release:

              Laurie Wright, editor and publisher of Storyville magazine from 1965 to
              1995, died in London on 28 March 2010. He was also author of the standard
              bio-discographies of Jelly Roll Morton, King Oliver, and Fats Waller,
              publisher of several editions of both Jazz Records 1897-1942 and Blues &
              Gospel Records 1902-1943 and many other serious contributions to
              scholarship. After his ³retirement², he produced and published several
              volumes of similar research material on vintage jazz and blues.

              Laurie was born at Enfield in outer north London on 3 February 1929. An able
              linguist, he won a scholarship to study languages in Paris, but was recalled
              to do his National Service in the RAF. He ended up working as an electrical
              engineer at radio manufacturers Ferguson¹s. In the early 1950s he opened a
              record shop in Walthamstow Village in East London which rapidly became a
              mecca for collectors of vintage jazz records. A group of them were one day
              bemoaning the demise of The Record Changer and consequent lack of a forum
              for their interests when Laurie¹s wife Peggy, passing about her domestic
              duties, asked why they didn¹t publish one themselves. The rest, as they say,
              is history.

              Issue 1 of Storyville is dated October 1965. Initially a typical
              enthusiasts¹ fanzine it grew rapidly into what was effectively a
              peer-reviewed journal of scholarship overseen by Laurie and The Storyville
              Team, who also undertook (some of them) the physical task of assembling the
              magazine which alone made it financially viable. For the same reason Laurie
              printed it himself. Despite this the bi-monthly (quarterly from 1987)
              schedule was maintained with very few hiccups for 162 issues up to June
              1995, after which four semi-annual volumes were published up to 2003. Laurie
              used his increased leisure to carry out detailed analyses of the
              African-American press which issued in the publication in his annual volumes
              of a mass of additional data and a proposed re-dating of the activities of
              the Paramount record label.

              Storyville Publications also became a leading publisher of jazz books,
              producing Laurie¹s own works, the standard discographies, two volumes of
              Eric Townley¹s Tell Your Story, Tom Lord¹s bio-discography of Clarence
              Williams, and several biographical and autobiographical memoirs of vintage
              musicians. The last of these was the autobiography of trombonist Preston
              Jackson, published in 2005, after which ill-health forced Laurie¹s reluctant
              retirement.

              He is survived by his widow, Peggy, their sons Kevin and Chris, daughters
              Susan and Jenny, and a brood of grandchildren. Their eldest son Paul, a
              professional folk singer active in Brittany, tragically pre-deceased his
              father.

              Without him, the world¹s knowledge of vintage jazz and blues would be
              immeasurably impoverished.

              on 04/04/2010 19:58, Dan Van Landingham at danvanlandingham@... wrote:

              > I'm not familiar with Laurie Wright.Who was he?
              >
              > ________________________________

            • spacelights
              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 4, 2010
                So sad to hear this... I found him always very encouraging, generous and helpful, and this through written correspondence (we never met in person). Jazz research will always owe a great deal to him.

                With thanks and best wishes,

                John
              • hans.eekhoff
                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 5, 2010
                  The sad news of Laurie's death brings back old memories of the early days of Storyville and the occasions when Max Vreede and I visited Laurie at Chigwell.
                  Laurie did a lot for us with his many publications - I feel priviliged to have known him.
                  At the same time this makes me realise what a great pity it is that there is no longer a "Storyville".
                  Our 78 hobby isn't half as much fun as it used to be.....

                  Hans Eekhoff

                  --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "spacelights" <spacelights@...> wrote:

                  > So sad to hear this... I found him always very encouraging, generous and helpful, and this through written correspondence (we never met in person). Jazz research will always owe a great deal to him.
                  >
                  > With thanks and best wishes,
                  >
                  > John

                • rwondraschek
                  Message 8 of 10 , Apr 27, 2010
                    I had hoped to have something more enlightning to comment about in my first message in this group.
                    Laurie's passing came as very sad news indeed, and also brought back old memories of two visits to his home (while I was in England at JRT's place with original 78s for some "Jazz Oracle" reissue projects about 10 years ago). I still remember Laurie's enthusiasm while we listened to some nice Oliver Creole Jazz Band 78s, despite his failing sense of hearing...
                    It was his "Storyville" mag which introduced me to the "real thing" when, as a 19-year-old during a visit to London in 1987, I discovered a copy at Dobell's Record Shop. After that quickly came along Trevor's "VJM", Lennie's "Record Research", and suddenly I realized I had become a 78rpm collector - and since then I'm constantly out of money (smiles!!!).
                    His publications were the ones I must avidly read during those formative years, and the Vintage Jazz community would be indefinetively poorer without them. I think his scholarship was of the highest order, on a par with W.C. Allen.

                    By the way, does anybody know if some of his books are still available from his widow ? - I missed to purchase his Preston Jackson biography.

                    Laurie, R.I.P., but continue to romp'n'stomp'messaround!!!

                    As Lennie Kunstadt used to say:
                    "Cheers",
                    Ralph

                    Message 9 of 10 , Apr 27, 2010
                      Many of the Storyville books were still available at the time of Laurie¹s
                      death. I imagine this would be a very bad time to be making enquiries, but
                      as soon as I can find out what arrangements are being made, I¹ll let people
                      know.

                      Laurie regarded himself as a disciple of Walt Allen¹s approach to research.

                      (And, hello and welcome, Ralph.)

                      on 27/04/2010 11:01, rwondraschek at rwondra@... wrote:

                      > I had hoped to have something more enlightning to comment about in my first
                      > message in this group.
                      > Laurie's passing came as very sad news indeed, and also brought back old
                      > memories of two visits to his home (while I was in England at JRT's place with
                      > original 78s for some "Jazz Oracle" reissue projects about 10 years ago). I
                      > still remember Laurie's enthusiasm while we listened to some nice Oliver
                      > Creole Jazz Band 78s, despite his failing sense of hearing...
                      > It was his "Storyville" mag which introduced me to the "real thing" when, as a
                      > 19-year-old during a visit to London in 1987, I discovered a copy at Dobell's
                      > Record Shop. After that quickly came along Trevor's "VJM", Lennie's "Record
                      > Research", and suddenly I realized I had become a 78rpm collector - and since
                      > then I'm constantly out of money (smiles!!!).
                      > His publications were the ones I must avidly read during those formative
                      > years, and the Vintage Jazz community would be indefinetively poorer without
                      > them. I think his scholarship was of the highest order, on a par with W.C.
                      > Allen.
                      >
                      > By the way, does anybody know if some of his books are still available from
                      > his widow ? - I missed to purchase his Preston Jackson biography.
                      >
                      > Laurie, R.I.P., but continue to romp'n'stomp'messaround!!!
                      >
                      > As Lennie Kunstadt used to say:
                      > "Cheers",
                      > Ralph
                      >
                      > --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com <mailto:RedHotJazz%40yahoogroups.com> ,
                      > "hans.eekhoff" <oriole@...> wrote:
                      >> >
                      >> > The sad news of Laurie's death brings back old memories of the early days
                      >> of Storyville and the occasions when Max Vreede and I visited Laurie at
                      >> Chigwell.
                      >> > Laurie did a lot for us with his many publications - I feel priviliged to
                      >> have known him.
                      >> > At the same time this makes me realise what a great pity it is that there
                      >> is no longer a "Storyville".
                      >> > Our 78 hobby isn't half as much fun as it used to be.....
                      >> >
                      >> > Hans Eekhoff
                      >> >

                      >> > --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com <mailto:RedHotJazz%40yahoogroups.com> ,

                      >>> and helpful, and this through written correspondence (we never met in
                      >>> person). Jazz research will always owe a great deal to him.

                    • Robert
                      Message 10 of 10 , Apr 27, 2010

                        > Many of the Storyville books were still available at the time of Laurie¹s
                        > death.

                        This is perhaps not terribly helpful but someone on this list may know who I'm talking about. A chap at Croydon Record Fair (held twice a year) always has a small supply of Storyville books for sale at slightly discounted prices. The only other items at his stall, as far as I can remember, are copies of the Frog CDs. Perhaps someone has contact details for him as a source, for the time being, for the Storyville stable of books?
                        Robert Greenwood