Re: [RedHotJazz] Introduction and question

    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 27, 2010
      As to recordings, any advance on Eureka Brass Band, December 1955 (New
      Orleans Rarities 4)?

      on 27/03/2010 01:36, Ken Gates at kwg28@... wrote:

      > My first post. My first encounter with jazz was as a listener. Big band
      > swing was
      > the fashion---lots of it on the radio in the 40's when I was young---I lived
      > in LA then
      > and would travel on streetcars and buses to the Orpheum theater to hear the
      > big
      > name bands as they alternated with a B movie. I discovered Bunk Johnson and
      > George
      > Lewis by 1946 and became a dedicated mouldy figge for several years. Later I
      > became
      > less restricted and now am a fan of just about any version of pre-bop jazz.
      > I've tried to
      > "dig" the "modern" forms but so far it hasn't rung my chimes. At age 70 I
      > took up the
      > clarinet and I play just well enough to sit in on jam sessions at a level
      > where I can make
      > a contribution without causing embarrassment.
      >
      > So much for that for now. I'm trying to track down when and where "Sweet
      > Fields" was
      > introduced into the trad jazz songlist. I assume it is a hymn. It shows up
      > on an Eagle Brass
      > Band recording I have of about 197x (I think). I've heard current bands such
      > as Grand
      > Dominion and New Black Eagle JB do it at festivals. A search of hymns on the
      > internet
      > shows one composed by Isaac Watts (1674-1748) that possibly is it. The lyrics
      > seem
      > to fit melody I've heard---but that seems like a long shot. My questions
      > are--
      >
      > ...Is it a song from the church?
      > ...Was it played by the very early brass bands of New Orleans?
      > ...Who made the first jazz recording of it--and when?
      >
      > Thanks in advance for any information---
      >
      > Ken Gates Ventura, California

    • Robert
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 27, 2010
        Ye-es, Howard, but wasn't the NO Rarities issue from around the mid-sixties? Sweet Fields was a part of Ken Colyer's repertoire from the mid-fifties. It's probable that he heard the Eureka performing it in NO in 1952/53 and brought it back to Blighty, since when it has been, as Ken Gates puts it, part of the trad jazz songlist.
        Robert Greenwood

        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 27, 2010
          Er, yes, I guess you are right about this. It certainly isn¹t comtemporary
          with the recording.

          on 27/03/2010 18:38, Robert Greenwood at robertgreenwood_54uk@...