Introduction and question

  • Ken Gates
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 26, 2010
      My first post. My first encounter with jazz was as a listener. Big band swing was
      the fashion---lots of it on the radio in the 40's when I was young---I lived in LA then
      and would travel on streetcars and buses to the Orpheum theater to hear the big
      name bands as they alternated with a B movie. I discovered Bunk Johnson and George
      Lewis by 1946 and became a dedicated mouldy figge for several years. Later I became
      less restricted and now am a fan of just about any version of pre-bop jazz. I've tried to
      "dig" the "modern" forms but so far it hasn't rung my chimes. At age 70 I took up the
      clarinet and I play just well enough to sit in on jam sessions at a level where I can make
      a contribution without causing embarrassment.

      So much for that for now. I'm trying to track down when and where "Sweet Fields" was
      introduced into the trad jazz songlist. I assume it is a hymn. It shows up on an Eagle Brass
      Band recording I have of about 197x (I think). I've heard current bands such as Grand
      Dominion and New Black Eagle JB do it at festivals. A search of hymns on the internet
      shows one composed by Isaac Watts (1674-1748) that possibly is it. The lyrics seem
      to fit melody I've heard---but that seems like a long shot. My questions are--

      ...Is it a song from the church?
      ...Was it played by the very early brass bands of New Orleans?
      ...Who made the first jazz recording of it--and when?

      Thanks in advance for any information---

      Ken Gates Ventura, California

      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 27, 2010
        As to recordings, any advance on Eureka Brass Band, December 1955 (New
        Orleans Rarities 4)?

        on 27/03/2010 01:36, Ken Gates at kwg28@... wrote:

        > My first post. My first encounter with jazz was as a listener. Big band
        > swing was
        > the fashion---lots of it on the radio in the 40's when I was young---I lived
        > in LA then
        > and would travel on streetcars and buses to the Orpheum theater to hear the
        > big
        > name bands as they alternated with a B movie. I discovered Bunk Johnson and
        > George
        > Lewis by 1946 and became a dedicated mouldy figge for several years. Later I
        > became
        > less restricted and now am a fan of just about any version of pre-bop jazz.
        > I've tried to
        > "dig" the "modern" forms but so far it hasn't rung my chimes. At age 70 I
        > took up the
        > clarinet and I play just well enough to sit in on jam sessions at a level
        > where I can make
        > a contribution without causing embarrassment.
        >
        > So much for that for now. I'm trying to track down when and where "Sweet
        > Fields" was
        > introduced into the trad jazz songlist. I assume it is a hymn. It shows up
        > on an Eagle Brass
        > Band recording I have of about 197x (I think). I've heard current bands such
        > as Grand
        > Dominion and New Black Eagle JB do it at festivals. A search of hymns on the
        > internet
        > shows one composed by Isaac Watts (1674-1748) that possibly is it. The lyrics
        > seem
        > to fit melody I've heard---but that seems like a long shot. My questions
        > are--
        >
        > ...Is it a song from the church?
        > ...Was it played by the very early brass bands of New Orleans?
        > ...Who made the first jazz recording of it--and when?
        >
        > Thanks in advance for any information---
        >
        > Ken Gates Ventura, California

      • Robert
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 27, 2010
          Ye-es, Howard, but wasn't the NO Rarities issue from around the mid-sixties? Sweet Fields was a part of Ken Colyer's repertoire from the mid-fifties. It's probable that he heard the Eureka performing it in NO in 1952/53 and brought it back to Blighty, since when it has been, as Ken Gates puts it, part of the trad jazz songlist.
          Robert Greenwood

          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 27, 2010
            Er, yes, I guess you are right about this. It certainly isn¹t comtemporary
            with the recording.

            on 27/03/2010 18:38, Robert Greenwood at robertgreenwood_54uk@...