Life Magazine Article

  • gerry.paton
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 17 12:21 PM
      I was reading about this in Eddie Condon's autobiography:

      http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=l08EAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA58&dq=eddie+condon&lr=&as_drrb_is=b&as_minm_is=0&as_miny_is=&as_maxm_is=0&as_maxy_is=1945&as_brr=0&as_pt=MAGAZINES&cd=6#v=onepage&q=eddie%20condon&f=false

      I can't get the link to work, unfortunately, so you'll have to copy and paste the above into the address bar. Either that or do a google magazine search for LIFE 8 Aug 1938.

      In the above link, scroll up to the beginning of the article (pretty comprehensive).
    • Rob Billeaud
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 26 1:14 PM
        Wow this is a fantastic article (by the way I also read the article on Mao, very interesting the changing opinions from then to now).  My uncle, Ben Pickering, played trombone with both Dorsey brothers and knew many of the guys mentioned here.  It's too bad that it's taken me so long to take a real interest in all this and now that he's been gone for several years, I'll never be able to hear him retell stories about his glory years.  I have a ton of old articles, letters and photos that he left behind that I am slowly getting together to get a picture of what his life must have been like.  I have an interest in the rock bands of today and all of the exciting stuff they must do, and I imagine things must have been much the same for him.  I am putting together a website of my own that will have this as one part of it.  I have a draft copy up at http://home.comcast.net/~rbilleaud/jazz.html  not too much there currently,  sort of a germ seed, but I
        have just begun to get some high-res images thumbnailed and this will be much cooler once I do some further development, possibly as early as this weekend.  Thanks again for providing this link.