Jabbo Smith and Thomas Morris

  • kbrau44
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 16, 2010
      I remember very vividly a concert at the Breda Jazz Festival in 1972 by - I think - Marc van Nus´ Hot Dogs. Everything was in honour of Jabbo Smith who was the admired hero of the whole festival. Jabbo had been imported to Europe for the first time, and everybody was looking up at him and he really was "King", although his playing was rather thin then, but his singing was most charming. But, I think, he must have been in heaven there. Jabbo sat in the first row and listened intensely to all the bands playing, and then van Nus announced a tune by the Georgia Strutters, "Rock, Jennie, Rock", which he was going to play in Jabbo´s honour as he "was the trumpet player on that item". Accordingly, Jabbo nodded approvingly with his head. Only, that he certainly is NOT the trumpet player on that one, but he had been listed in Rust for decades. Jabbo did not know it any better, and van Nus did not know it any better as well, but I think that at that date Chris Hillman had already stated rightly that it was Ladnier on this recording (that´s why I remember it so well). Musicians in the 20s usually did not care for tunes recorded or for personnels, and so Jabbo certainly thought that it must have been right if this was stated by those knowing people in Europe. He certainly did not know (he COULD not). And ... if someone had told him that his first recording was with Buster Keaton, he certainly would have approved if been asked.
    • Agustin Perez Gasco
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 16, 2010
        Moving on from the Thomas Morris session, and since you mention the Georgia Strutters date:

        The editions I own of Rust & Bruyninckx, and the online Lord discography, all list Jabbo Smith as the cornet player in the May 23, 1927 session of the Georgia Strutters for the Harmony label ("Rock, Jenny, Rock" and "It's Right Here For You").

        But Dan Vernhettes's & Bo Lindström's recent biography of Tommy Ladnier, "Travelling Blues" denies this, stating that Jabbo was "at this time much more Armstrong-influenced, surrendering himself to fireworks" and "must be ommited". Vernhettes, a trumpeter himself, also denies that it could be Rex Stewart, because "Rex Stewart at this time had a very nasty vibrato that is not present in the Georgia Strutters session". He also excludes Joe Smith.

        According to Vernhettes, "of the circa 50 possible name trumpeters active in Harlem in May 1927, only two have the faintest resemblance to this trumpeter: Tommy Ladnier and Bobby Stark".

        He then detailedly describes both tunes, trying to link each passage with his vast knowledge of Ladnier's style (if needed, I could copy those paragraphs). His conclusion is that "Tommy Ladnier can neither be excluded nor included as the cornetist at this Georgia Strutters session. Suffice to say, it's more likely he is playing than that there should be anybody else. In any case, this is not a very good or important session as such".

        Best regards,
        Agustín Pérez
        Mule Walk & Jazz Talk:  http://thereisjazzbeforetrane.blogspot.com/

        From: kbrau44 kbrau44@...

        (...) Jabbo sat in the first row and listened intensely to all the bands playing, and then van Nus announced a tune by the Georgia Strutters, "Rock, Jennie, Rock", which he was going to play in Jabbo´s honour as he "was the trumpet player on that item". Accordingly, Jabbo nodded approvingly with his head. Only, that he certainly is NOT the trumpet player on that one, but he had been listed in Rust for decades. Jabbo did not know it any better, and van Nus did not know it any better as well, but I think that at that date Chris Hillman had already stated rightly that it was Ladnier on this recording (that´s why I remember it so well). (...)

      • Dan Van Landingham
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 17, 2010
          Rex Stewart was never a favourite of mine.I found his playing rather sloppy.I found a French RCA LP of
          Fletcher Henderson and,as with the stuff he did with Ellington,he never impressed me.I have a nice Blue-
          bird 78 of "Passion Flower".Nice tune,sloppy playing.

          ________________________________

          From: kbrau44 kbrau44@yahoo. com

        • serapion@btinternet.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 18, 2010
            I suspect Rex's musical priorities might have differed from Dan's, I don't know for sure, but SLOPPY doesn't seem to match any notion I have ever gathered as to Rex's playing.
            What does Dan believe Rex ought to have been doing which he wasn't doing???
            I don't want to start an argument, pn the contrary I want a little more clarification. I wonder what Guy Barker, composer-performer of a reverential pastiche of Rex, would make of "sloppy"?

            blue skies and warm weather to all us deprived Europeans anyway!

            Rr

            --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, Dan Van Landingham <danvanlandingham@...> wrote:

            > Rex Stewart was never a favourite of mine.I found his playing rather sloppy.I found a French RCA LP of
            > Fletcher Henderson and,as with the stuff he did with Ellington,he never impressed me.I have a nice Blue-
            > bird 78 of "Passion Flower".Nice tune,sloppy playing.

          • Claes-Göran Axelsson
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 26, 2010
              Problem with redhotjazz.com, does anyone recognize it?
              I have been streaming and downloading music for years but have got problems
              the last months. Ca 4 Mbit/s should be enough, but it gets interupted
              several times pro minute like buffering. When listening to Youtube I don�t
              have this problem.
              cgaxelsson@...