Re: [RedHotJazz] Jabbo Smith with Tom Morris

  • yves francois
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 13, 2010
      hi Michael
           When I knew Jabbo (1981/2) his health was in less strong of shape than it was in 1977,  When you read Chip's book that you mentioned you will see the reference of strokes, starting with touring on the production of "One Mo Time". It could be that the first stroke lessened his ability to remember distant events (it usually does). I know that in the case of Franz Jackson (and I should also note my mother in recent years - this is a standard procedure as one gets older in most cases) that events that were clear as yesterday to them when he told me in the 1980's were not as clear in the last few years of his life. Jabbo did not mention the Morris session to me when I asked about his first recording session either, but he did have his first stroke whilst touring on the production of "One Mo' Time" before knowing me- we may be able to consider Raines notes as being that he did record with Morris on his first
      session - now was it w Morris' combo or with Johnson's band is the question to be asked (and were the titles remembered because of his memory or because he was given the information by the interviewer can also be asked, a very important point that Howard Rye made a few weeks ago regarding interviewing) ...
      Yves

      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 13, 2010
        Hi Yves,
        I'm not necessarily suggesting that Raines told Jabbo anything, more
        that others already had. Jabbo seems to have toured Europe quite
        extensively in the mid-late 1970s and my guess is that many collectors
        he met during this period told him that his first session had been with
        Morris and told him the titles "Ham Gravy" and "Georgia Grind". When
        Jabbo encountered Gaines, he just repeated what he had been told by
        others. Maybe when he had time to think about the matter, he realised
        that he didn't remember the session himself.

        Thus the question, where the entries in the discography originally came
        from. Quite complicated, so I hope I've been able to explain.

        All the best,

        Michael