Re: [RedHotJazz] Research on Frank Guarente

  • Dan Van Landingham
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 10, 2010
      I'd like to know as well as I had an album of Isham Jones and he was on it.Tommy Dorsey wanted to use
      him on his own recordings.It's like me trying to find any info on trumpeter Billy Regis,a fat toned trumpeter
      with Prez Prado.He had an impact on my own trumpet tone along with Bunny Berigan,Satchmo and a nu-
      mber of other fat toned trumpeters I heard on record but had no idea as to who they were.The late Sonny
      Berman was one along with the late Freddie Webster and Fats Navarro.Navarro I head by way of a boot-
      leg LP of Eckstine's big band playing a the Plantation Club somewhere in Southern California.The label was
      Alamac and I bought it new in Denver back in '75.I now have a CD reissue of it on some minor label.I've
      read that the album was the only extant recording of the live Eckstine band.Navarro was great:his solo on
      "Together" was terrific as was Gene Ammon's rather angry.Ben Webster influenced tenor.Ammons captu-
      red the essence of the song quite well.I also play tenor sax in a Coleman Hawkins-Ben Webster-Don
      Byas style.I also enjoyed Frank Socolow as well.The reissue I have of him with Raeburn on a Musicraft
      LP is horrible;the sound quality of the LP stinks.