Jabbo Smith with Tom Morris

  • Michael
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 9, 2010
      When interviewed in 1987 about his earliest recordings for a book by Benjamin Franklin V. about Jazz and Blues Musicians of South Carolina, Jabbo Smith had this to say (p. 19):
      BF: Was your first recording in 1926 with Thomas Morris?
      JS: I can't remember, but that's what everybody seems to remember. At that time, my first recording was with Clarence Williams. Charlie Irvis, he was playing trombone with Clarence Williams. So he got me the date. In any event, I made that thing with Eva Taylor, "If I Could Be with You One Hour Tonight". That was a big hit for her at that time. (Interview at the home of Lorraine Gordon, New York City, 14 March 1987.

      Does anyone know where the information on the recording with Morris originated?

      Michael Rader, Karlsruhe, Germany
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 9, 2010
        What Jabbo actually said was:
        I can't remember, but that's what everybody seems to remember. *I don't remember.* At that time, my first recording was with Clarence Williams. Charlie Irvis, he was playing trombone with Clarence Williams. So he got me the date. In any event, I made that thing with Eva Taylor, "If I Could Be with You One Hour Tonight". That was a big hit for her at that time. (Interview at the home of Lorraine Gordon, New York City, 14 March 1987.
        Michael
      • Agustin Perez Gasco
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 10, 2010
          For his book "Voices of the Jazz Age", Chip Deffaa interviewed Jabbo Smith twice: at Lorraine Gordon's apartment (Nov. 2, 1985) and at Jabbo's (Nov. 27, 1988). Jabbo recalls the Clarence Williams/Eva Taylor date, but no mention of the Thomas Morris recording.

          Best regards,
          Agustín Pérez
          Madrid
          Mule Walk & Jazz Talk:  http://thereisjazzbeforetrane.blogspot.com/

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 11, 2010
            The fourth edition of Rust already shows Jabbo on the Morris session and in the "Frog Annual", Richard Rains says that Jabbo told him in 1977 that his first recordings had been with "Tommy Morris", even mentioning the titles. The question is whether Jabbo had forgotten about Morris by the mid-1980s, or was simply repeating what others had told him during his tours in the 1970s.

            It would thus be interesting to know when Jabbo was first put on the Morris session and on what grounds: documentary evidence, statements by other musicians involved in the session or simply aural identification by early collectors?

            Michael Rader

            *************
[...]

            <!--~-|**|PrettyHtmlStart|**|-~-->

            <!--~-|**|PrettyHtmlEnd|**|-~-->
          • yves francois
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 13, 2010
              hi Michael
                   When I knew Jabbo (1981/2) his health was in less strong of shape than it was in 1977,  When you read Chip's book that you mentioned you will see the reference of strokes, starting with touring on the production of "One Mo Time". It could be that the first stroke lessened his ability to remember distant events (it usually does). I know that in the case of Franz Jackson (and I should also note my mother in recent years - this is a standard procedure as one gets older in most cases) that events that were clear as yesterday to them when he told me in the 1980's were not as clear in the last few years of his life. Jabbo did not mention the Morris session to me when I asked about his first recording session either, but he did have his first stroke whilst touring on the production of "One Mo' Time" before knowing me- we may be able to consider Raines notes as being that he did record with Morris on his first
              session - now was it w Morris' combo or with Johnson's band is the question to be asked (and were the titles remembered because of his memory or because he was given the information by the interviewer can also be asked, a very important point that Howard Rye made a few weeks ago regarding interviewing) ...
              Yves

              ************ *
[...]

              <!--~-|**|PrettyHtm
              lStart|** |-~-->

              <!--~-|**|PrettyHtm lEnd|**|- ~-->
              Jetzt freischalten unter http://movieflat. web.de
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 13, 2010
                Hi Yves,
                I'm not necessarily suggesting that Raines told Jabbo anything, more
                that others already had. Jabbo seems to have toured Europe quite
                extensively in the mid-late 1970s and my guess is that many collectors
                he met during this period told him that his first session had been with
                Morris and told him the titles "Ham Gravy" and "Georgia Grind". When
                Jabbo encountered Gaines, he just repeated what he had been told by
                others. Maybe when he had time to think about the matter, he realised
                that he didn't remember the session himself.

                Thus the question, where the entries in the discography originally came
                from. Quite complicated, so I hope I've been able to explain.

                All the best,

                Michael