Re: [RedHotJazz] Japanese fun

    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 5 5:43 AM
      The Japanese have their own tradition of Hawaiian-type music dating from the
      inter-war years when they held League of Nations mandates for chunks of
      Polynesia. It often crops up in Japanese films of the 1930s and I hope
      someone is documenting it, but it¹s safe from me. There were a couple of
      examples in the recent Ozu season at London¹s National Film Theatre.

      While we¹re here the Japanese reissue (Buffalo BUF127) of the Kapakahi Jug
      Band is worth picking up if you¹re interested in that kind of thing as it is
      the only recorded legacy as far as I know of the African-American spoons
      player Pee Wee Drake, who was something else, and a rare instance of
      African-American involvement with revivalists, but it was in Hawaii. The
      rest of the band are enormous fun as well. There are some videos on You Tube
      of the Kapakahi Jug Band, but they are recent and lack the youthful
      enthusiasm of the old recordings. Drake, who became something of a mentor to
      the young folks, joined Gabriel¹s band years ago.