Japanese fun

  • Mordechai Litzman
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 4, 2010
      This is a jam session between the oldest Japanese jug band, the Old Southern Jug Blowers (in uniform), and the Sweet Hollywaiians. It is such a relaxed and fun session, and the musicians really seem to enjoy themselves without taking themselves seriously, all with excellent results. The humility and team playing of the jug band is extraordinary. Every time I watch and listen to this clip I notice and hear new things. These guys are the best!

      244

      http://www.youtube.com/watch#playnext=1&playnext_from=TL&videos=z24Z8JtFSyE&v=gTScDq5voAk

      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 5, 2010
        The Japanese have their own tradition of Hawaiian-type music dating from the
        inter-war years when they held League of Nations mandates for chunks of
        Polynesia. It often crops up in Japanese films of the 1930s and I hope
        someone is documenting it, but it¹s safe from me. There were a couple of
        examples in the recent Ozu season at London¹s National Film Theatre.

        While we¹re here the Japanese reissue (Buffalo BUF127) of the Kapakahi Jug
        Band is worth picking up if you¹re interested in that kind of thing as it is
        the only recorded legacy as far as I know of the African-American spoons
        player Pee Wee Drake, who was something else, and a rare instance of
        African-American involvement with revivalists, but it was in Hawaii. The
        rest of the band are enormous fun as well. There are some videos on You Tube
        of the Kapakahi Jug Band, but they are recent and lack the youthful
        enthusiasm of the old recordings. Drake, who became something of a mentor to
        the young folks, joined Gabriel¹s band years ago.