Frog Blues & Jazz Annual

    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 16, 2010
      The Frog Blues & Jazz Annual, No. 1, edited by Paul Swinton, which it had
      been hoped to publish before Christmas, has now appeared. The editor placed
      my author's copies in my hands yesterday. ISBN is 978-0-9564717-0-3. It's no
      doubt being sold on the Frog website. (I have of course no financial
      interest or I would not be posting this.)

      It will interest a lot of members of this list. Amongst much else, there are
      major research aricles by Alex van der Tuuk on the Graves Brothers and on
      Paramount, and by Paul Swinton himself on Arnold Wiley including material
      from the diaries of Irene Wiley, and discographical pieces on Thomas Morris
      and "Big Charlie Thomas" by Richard Rains. Not everyone will agree with the
      last two pieces. Also very striking is a reprint from a Montgomery, Alabama
      newspaper of Lillian Goodner's reminiscenses.

    • Richard Havers
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 16, 2010
        [moderator's apologies for the delay, but why did this message only show up today without warning? I'll never konw - Patrice]

        Howard, I received mine yesterday. It is a great piece of work. I decided to have a quick look through it last night and two hours later I surfaced. I commend it to all list members.

        Cheers

        Richard

        On 16 Jan 2010, at 13:50, Howard Rye wrote:

        > The Frog Blues & Jazz Annual, No. 1, edited by Paul Swinton, which it had
        > been hoped to publish before Christmas, has now appeared. The editor placed
        > my author's copies in my hands yesterday. ISBN is 978-0-9564717-0-3. It's no
        > doubt being sold on the Frog website. (I have of course no financial
        > interest or I would not be posting this.)
        >
        > It will interest a lot of members of this list. Amongst much else, there are
        > major research aricles by Alex van der Tuuk on the Graves Brothers and on
        > Paramount, and by Paul Swinton himself on Arnold Wiley including material
        > from the diaries of Irene Wiley, and discographical pieces on Thomas Morris
        > and "Big Charlie Thomas" by Richard Rains. Not everyone will agree with the
        > last two pieces. Also very striking is a reprint from a Montgomery, Alabama
        > newspaper of Lillian Goodner's reminiscenses.

        > howard@...
        > Tel/FAX: +44 20 8521 1098

      • Agustin Perez Gasco
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 22, 2010
          Dear list

          Without dealing with the knotty issue of ODJB's Victor 18255 actually being the first jazz put on record, this post may be of interest for you:

          http://thereisjazzbeforetrane.blogspot.com/2010/01/victor-18255-first-jazz-record.html

          Best regards,
          Agustín Pérez
        • Veniero Molari
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 22, 2010
            Thank you heartly for the super welcome ODJB reference.I tried in vain to
            leave my comment,but the system requires a name that I do not know.
            Veniero Molari

            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 23, 2010
              Thanks for the kind words, Veniero.

              If the blog doesn't allow you to leave comments as "anonymous", send them to me and I will insert them with your reference.

              Best regards,
              Agustín Pérez
              Mule Walk & Jazz Talk:  http://thereisjazzbeforetrane.blogspot.com/

              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 26, 2010
                Here's a collection of newspaper ads for Victor 18255:

                http://thereisjazzbeforetrane.blogspot.com/2010/01/victor-18255-first-jazz-record-2.html

                (one more on part #3)