Re: [RedHotJazz] Seldom heard

  • Nick Dellow
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 8, 2010
      Many thanks.

      In my previous post, I should have mentioned that Melrose apparently
      published two books of Armstrong transcriptions, the other one being "Louis
      Armstrong's 125 Jazz Breaks for Cornet".

      2010/1/8 Agustin Perez Gasco <ekebbbapg@...>

      > <<<Does someone possess the Melrose book, "Louis Armstrong's 50 Hot
      > Choruses
      > For Cornet", and if so, are the solos/breaks different from the OKeh
      > records?
      > Nick>>>
      >
      > You can check it thanks to Bent Persson's recreation for the Kenneth label:
      > "Louis Armstrong's 50 Hot Choruses for Cornet (1927) As Recreated By Bent
      > Persson, vol. 1&2".
      >
      > These discs are hard to find, but Ricky Riccardi did upload some of these
      > recordings in his invaluable blog "The Wonderful World Of Louis Armstrong":
      >

      > http://dippermouth.blogspot.com/2009/03/louis-armstrongs-50-hot-choruses.html
      >

      > http://dippermouth.blogspot.com/2009/03/in-loving-memory-of-gosta-hagglof.html
      >
      > Best regards,
      > Agust�n P�rez

    • Mordechai Litzman
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 8, 2010
        I meant cylinder rolls

        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 8, 2010
          My source for this information comes from the record jackets of a 3 LP series entitled "Louis Armstrong's 50 Hot Choruses for Cornet as Recreated by Bent Persson" on the Kenneth label from Sweden. I quote:
          "During the Chicago days I was sharing an office with Walter Melrose of the 'Melrose Music Co.' One day, in 1927, Melrose said that he was going to publish a set of Louis Armstrong breaks but there was a technical problem of getting the Armstrong 'hot' breaks down on paper. Finally, Melrose and I hit upon the idea of having Armstrong record his breaks. We bought a $15 Edison cylinder phonograph and 50 wax cylinders, gave them to Louis and told him to play. The cylinders were duly filled up by Armstrong and the 'breaks' were copied into written form. I transcribed the 'breaks', which were published. These were not orchestrated at any time, and were not made for that purpose."
          The Elmer Schoebel story, Doctor Jazz No. 32 (Oct 1968).

          The people in Sweden involved in this project spent years tracking down the tunes that are represented by the transcribed sheet music solos and breaks; it is possible that a few tunes have not been found yet.

          IMHO, the above quote sounds plausible. According to the LP jacket information, the sheet music covers 53 solos and 119 breaks, and their method of capturing Louis' playing makes sense to me. I do not have access to the source quoted, but maybe the discographers/researchers in the RHJ group can verify this information.