Sorry (Fletcher Henderson)

  • Michael
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 8, 2010
      KB Rau and I have been discussing various recordings recently. One item that came up was "Sorry", recorded on 22 November 1927 for Banner (among others) of which there were 2 issued takes. Who takes the last (hot)trumpet solo on the recording?

      Walt Allen says Bobby Stark, but is it? Opinions welcome.

      Michael Rader,
      Karlsruhe, Germany
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 12, 2010
        Hello Michael

        Just got round to this. First, I struggle to hear a third trumpet as per
        Rust. I would go with Stark although Chilton has him not joining Henderson
        till 1928. The solo is compatible to solos on Dixie Stompers session 6 April
        1928 attributed to Stark although also present was Rex, whose distinctive
        stamp is elsewhere in evidence. Also, according to Chilton, Rex had left
        Fletcher in 1927 and was playing for brother Horace.

        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 12, 2010
          Hi Dave,

          KB Rau sprang the question of the soloist on me just before I put the question to the list. Independently of each other, we both came to the conclusion that it was Stewart and not Stark as per Walt Allen. I hear a similiarity to Stewart's solo on "The Stampede". Maybe KB would like to put his reasons foward too.

          Michael