Re: [RedHotJazz] Benny Goodman's Boys

  • Dan Van Landingham
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 7, 2010
      I have an MCA album of Benny Goodman from the late twenties and it dates "A Jazz Ho-
      liday" from January,1928.The lineup included:Goodman,clarinet and alto;Glenn Miller,tro-
      mbone;Jimmy McPartland,cornet;Fud Livingston,clarinet and tenor;Vic Breidis,piano;Dick
      Morgan,guitar;Harry Goodman,tuba and Bob Conzelman on drums and vibes.The next
      session Goodman did for Brunswick(the January,1928 sides were issued on Vocalion)
      took place on June 4,1928.Goodman plays both alto and baritone sax on "Blue(And Bro-
      ken Hearted) and played cornet on "Jungle Blues".His cornet solo was supposedly after
      Vic Breidis' piano solo.The recordings Wingy Mannone did for Goodman date from 1929
      and featured Bud Freeman on his own tune "After Awhile".The latter two dates appeared
      on Brunswick.

      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 8, 2010
        Hi!
        Thanx for info. Still confused about McPartland's presence (or not) on the June sessions. Guess I'll have to get a proper CD then!