Re: [RedHotJazz] Could this be Pinky Vidacovich of New Orleans Owls fame?

    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 7, 2010
      Unless this a huge coincidence of similar names, it is indeed the same Vidakovich. He was discussed here in some detail a while back, but in a nutshell Punky decided to go into broadcasting and lived out his days as a Cajun comedian and singer. I think there's even a website devoted to this aspect of his career.

      Michael Rader
      > I just noticed this 78 for sale on ebay:
      > http://cgi.ebay.com/Pinky-Vidavich-Cajun-Vocal-Big-Band-78-on-Pelican_
      > W0QQitemZ400095961966QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMusic_on_Vinyl?hash=
      > item5d2793e36e
      > I suspect it is our Pinky Vidacovich turned cajun. Comments anyone?
      > Hans Eekhoff

      Preisknaller: WEB.DE DSL Flatrate für nur 16,99 Euro/mtl.!
      http://produkte.web.de/go/02/
    • serapion@btinternet.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 8, 2010
        You will find the ....rds of Eugene Chadbourne, All Music Guide
        below. Now if one could find out where he got the information he processed into the drivellings infra . . . dignitatemque.

        Do we have any veterans of KGB efforts at mindbending with the resilience to sift the following, well, as TS Eliot put it, siftings?
        I do remember a fellow student at Edinburgh reading the unusually prominent death notices awarded Pinky in various British publications, an accidental curiosity I presume. I'd not at the time heard of Pinky but I do recall that the date would have to be at least five years after the 1966 Chadbourne gives.

        AMG used to be very good on anything New Orleans. Who is to rescue them? Informed sanity ends here. EC proceeds:

        Clarinet New Orleans Style, a 1960 solo release by this artist, came complete with an album title that was a much more precise stylistic description than most. An Irving who gained fame with a somewhat evocative nickname, Pinky Vidacovich stuck closely to the Big Easy during nearly 40 years of performing as a clarinetist and bandleader. His association with Louisiana lore extended beyond playing New Orleans jazz into activity on the border between mainstream and trivial. Prior to retiring from performing to become a traveling script artisan for trumpeter Al Hirt, Vidacovich became quite popular on radio as an actor in the cornpone role of Cajun Pete.

        Reacting to his first examination of a Cajun Pete routine, noted Swiss New Orleans jazz scholar Franzie Justu -- name changed due to Swiss laws protecting the criminally insane -- went literally berserk. He wandered the streets of Solothurn in a rage, grabbing people at random and shouting a question that, like the Homeland Security terrorism alerts, varied only in tint and hue. "Is there a Bluey? Is there a Yellowy? Is there an Orangey? Is there a Purpley?" He admitted to a court that since hearing the routine he was devoured by a constant fear of exposure to other artists like Pinky Vidacovich. Despite a supportive lobbying effort on behalf of a proofreading collective that was having problems with the other half of the name, the Swiss critic was sent off to wherever this nation houses the insane, probably somewhere posh.

        The more random jazz listener is highly likely to have a much less negative reaction to this artist's music, whether hearing it on serious archival efforts such as the aforementioned album or in the set list of artists such as Louis Prima, the Four Lads, or Pete Fountain. Vidacovich came up with entertaining ditties related exclusively, needless to say, to the land of alligator sausage and okra. "Ai-Ai-Ai," "Gotta Go to the Fais Do Do," "I'm Going Home," and "New Awlins'" are all songs celebrating the music life that Vidacovich started out on by the mid-'20s in groups including the New Orleans Owls and the Princeton Revellers.

        The radio station WWL was the first in New Orleans to regularly feature the growing talents of Vidacovich, allowing him to direct a group that he also brought into clubs and hotels for residencies. As he went into his second decade as a player, Vidacovich settled into the reed section of drummer Augie Schellang's combo, meanwhile maintaining his radio schedule and extending the more popular portions of that enterprise into the recording market. All of this action extended well into the '50s. Some of his gigs subsequent to this were collaborations with Sharkey Bonano as well as sessions on his own. Vidacovich came up with show material related once again to the New Orleans and Cajun gestalt for Hirt for about five years, dying in New Orleans in the typically stifling summer of 1966. Vidacovich was almost home; had he died in his actual birthplace, writers would have had the intense pleasure of saying he was buried in Bura. ~ Eugene Chadbourne, All Music Guide

        WITH THE END OF EXHIBITIONISM INFORMED SANITY RESUMES HERE
        --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, Michael Rader <Rader.Michael@...> wrote:

        > Unless this a huge coincidence of similar names, it is indeed the same Vidakovich. He was discussed here in some detail a while back, but in a nutshell Punky decided to go into broadcasting and lived out his days as a Cajun comedian and singer. I think there's even a website devoted to this aspect of his career.
        >
        > Michael Rader
        > > I just noticed this 78 for sale on ebay:
        > > http://cgi.ebay.com/Pinky-Vidavich-Cajun-Vocal-Big-Band-78-on-Pelican_
        > > W0QQitemZ400095961966QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMusic_on_Vinyl?hash=
        > > item5d2793e36e
        > > I suspect it is our Pinky Vidacovich turned cajun. Comments anyone?
        > > Hans Eekhoff

        > Preisknaller: WEB.DE DSL Flatrate für nur 16,99 Euro/mtl.!
        > http://produkte.web.de/go/02/

      • Michael
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 8, 2010
          Sorry first of all for substituting a "u" for "i" (ole Punky) and calling him Vidakovich instead of Vidacovich. His by-line was the Croatian Cajun" and you can find more by scrolling down: http://www.neworleansradiotheatre.org/wwl3.html