Re: Benny Goodman's Boys

  • hans.eekhoff
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 7, 2010
      These sides have been reissued on Timeless CD CB1088 "The Young Benny Goodman". See:
      http://www.timelessjazz.com/product_info.php?products_id=688

      A newly revised and comprehensive discography as well as very informative liner notes with previously unpublished photos come with this CD, which also has a much better sound quality (the original 78 rpm being remastered with the latest techniques) than anything you can download from internet.
      This is second best to the original 78's and gives lifelong pleasure for only $15.
      Hans Eekhoff

      --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "kenikonen" <kenikonen@...> wrote:

      > Hi!
      > Sorry to come with such an easy (?) question as the one below, easy for anyone with a disocgraphy that is. One major drawback of collecting mp3s on the internet is that (besides the hit and miss quality) they don't come with discog info.
      > I'm interested in the personnel of one of the Benny Goodman Boys 1928 sessions (May?). Tracks recorded that session are Jungle Blues, Blue, Shirt tail Stomp, and Room 1411. I'm mainly interested in the cornet player. Yes, I know BG himself takes his only cornet solo on Jungle Blues! I'm guessing it's the competent though slightly hesitant solo somewhere after the midway point. I mean who's the other guy?
      > According to redhotjazz.com it's either Mcpartland or Wingy Manone. I'm guessing McPartland, with that Chicagoan on-the-beat funkiness on Jungle Blues, and on Room 14111 he sounds a bit like a Red Nichols on crack. There is however a fiery quality to the mute work on Jungle B which I haven't previously associated with McPartland. But if it's Wingy then how on earth did he use a mute with only one arm?? Doesn't really sound Wingy either.
      >
      > Thank you very much for any info!!

    • Dan Van Landingham
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 7, 2010
        I have an MCA album of Benny Goodman from the late twenties and it dates "A Jazz Ho-
        liday" from January,1928.The lineup included:Goodman,clarinet and alto;Glenn Miller,tro-
        mbone;Jimmy McPartland,cornet;Fud Livingston,clarinet and tenor;Vic Breidis,piano;Dick
        Morgan,guitar;Harry Goodman,tuba and Bob Conzelman on drums and vibes.The next
        session Goodman did for Brunswick(the January,1928 sides were issued on Vocalion)
        took place on June 4,1928.Goodman plays both alto and baritone sax on "Blue(And Bro-
        ken Hearted) and played cornet on "Jungle Blues".His cornet solo was supposedly after
        Vic Breidis' piano solo.The recordings Wingy Mannone did for Goodman date from 1929
        and featured Bud Freeman on his own tune "After Awhile".The latter two dates appeared
        on Brunswick.

        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 8, 2010
          Hi!
          Thanx for info. Still confused about McPartland's presence (or not) on the June sessions. Guess I'll have to get a proper CD then!