Re: Edith Wilson

  • kbrau44
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 29, 2009
      Hi everybody, as nobody except Howard Rye seems to be interested in my note re Edith Wilson on Brunswick November 1929: I have compared the Document release and the Archaeophone and I hear no difference, so I think the items being identical. But: other than Rust there is a reed player playing flute on Black And Blue and clarinet on My Man Is Good ... and another reed player playing altosax. Rust only lists a clarinet. Obviously the alto player is identical on both sides (as I think Emerson Harper, who was more of a legitimate player in the Leroy Smith band), the flutist doubling on clarinet on the second side. According to his weak time in the last break of the ensemble chorus this very probably seems to be Albert Socarras. And then there is an unlisted tuba. The whole personnel with Charlie Gaines and Wilbur de Paris seems to be drawn from the Leroy Smith band. A very beautiful recording with a superbly swinging band!