Darnell Howard in 1929

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 22, 2009
      As a follow-on to KB's invitation of yesterday evening, a first pertinent question to all, even if you don't have an interest in unravelling the mysteries of Clarence Williams personnels:

      is Darnell Howard known to have been in New York in October or November of 1929? We realise that he was employed in Chicago during most of the 1927 - 1930 period as per Chilton and most standard works, but does anyone know if he made visits to New York. There's a reed player who sounds suspiciously like him on at least one (maybe two) CW sessions during the period in question and Darnell Howard did tell Laurie Wright that he had recorded 2 titles with Clarence. I haven't mentioned the sessions concerned to not spoil the fun, but this is the kind of stuff we are facing when sorting out CW personnels.

      Michael Rader
      Karlsruhe, Germany