Re: Christmas Presents - two more suggestions.

  • hans.eekhoff
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 7, 2009
      Perhaps I might suggest these CD's for your Christmas stocking?

      JAZZ ORACLE CD: "FUD LIVINGSTON"
      This CD begins with a previously unissued 1924 test pressing of 'Red Hot'. Fud plays with Ben Pollack and His Californians on this recording. The band later included Benny Goodman, Glenn Miller, Gil Rodin and Earl Baker. Miller wrote the 'straight' arrangements and Livingston wrote the 'hot' ones. Fud's style caught the attention of Nat Shilkret who ran the popular music department at Victor and brought Fud to New York. Livingston's talent, charm and capacity for drink won him instant acceptance from Red Nichols, Miff Mole, Bix Beiderbecke, Frankie Trumbauer, Joe Venuti and their associates. Recordings on this CD reflect the 'Ultra Modern' Brunswick material that was exemplified by Red Nichols & His Five Pennies where Pee Wee Russell and Fud both played similar styles of clarinet. Included are three collaborations with Max Farley under the name, All Star Orchestra. A special feature of this collection is all six titles by 'Mendello And His Five Gee Gees' as well as the two Lennie Hayton Blue Four sides recorded for Vocalion in 1928. These are among the least known Fud Livingston records.
      Songs:
      Red Hot
      'Deed I Do
      He's The Last Word
      Feelin' No Pain
      Imagination
      Humpty Dumpty
      Sax Appeal
      Alexander's Ragtime Band
      Oh, Baby
      Add A Little Wiggle
      Old Fashioned Girl
      Anytime, Anyday, Anywhere
      Doin' Things
      Cool Papa
      Sunday Afternoon
      High Hattin' Hattie
      Easy
      Dixie Drag
      Baby's Coming Back
      Singapore Sorrows
      Nobody's Sweetheart
      Choo-Choo
      I'm Thru With Love
      The Blues Danube
      I've Found A New Baby
      Moo Collective Personnel: Ben Pollack, Red Nichols, Bix Beiderbecke, Glenn Miller, Arthur Schutt, Carl Kress, Jimmy Dorsey, Eddie Lang, Joe Venuti, Vic Berton, Tommy Dorsey, Adrian Rollini, Miff Mole, more.
      Label: JAZZ ORACLE Number: 8060 Item Code: 64334

      Producers Colin J. Bray, John Wilby
      Transfers and Remastering Hans Eekhoff
      Original Recordings Hans Eekhoff, Tim Fitak, Brad Kay, Jim Prohasska, Ate van Delden, Ross Wilby
      Liner Notes Brad Kay

      RETRIEVAL CD: "THE RHYTHMIC EIGHT"
      48 OF THE BEST - 1927-1930

      2 CD set. The Rhythmic Eight's leader Bert Firman was commercially minded enough not to wander too far into uncharted territory: his small band would be indubitably hot, but it would still acquiesce to the needs of those who bought records for the simple pleasure of listening or dancing to the latest popular Songs. I Most of the tenor sax and clarinet solos from mid 1928 up to mid 1929 were taken by Johnny Helfer, who, like Sylvester Ahola and Perley Breed, hailed from Massachusetts. An interesting aspect is that the band never employed the services of a trombonist. In the imprecise nomenclature of jazz, the style of the band falls into the 'hot dance music' category; there are Elements of the 'chamber jazz' genre typified by Red Nichols and his Five Pennies, and there are also hints of the Frank Trumbauer recordings featuring Bix Beiderbecke. The jazz solos that are so much a feature of the Rhythmic Eight's recordings. We find Arthur Lally, a superb musician whose baritone and bass sax solos have, in the past, been mistaken for the work of Adrian Rollini. Lally also contributes some fine alto sax solos on a number of Rhythmic Eight sides. More often than not, standard stock arrangements were used by the band when Special Arrangements were occasionally commissioned they were usually penned by Arthur Lally. By the Spring of 1930, the sound of the Rhythmic Eight began to change perceptively. Following the economic slump that hit <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Great Britain in the early 1930s, there was a general shift towards more straightforward and sentimental renditions of dance numbers, and a consequent move away from the interpolation of jazz solos. In addition, Sylvester Ahola, the Rhythmic Eight's most important soloist, was effectively stymied in early 1930 by a group of British trumpet players headed by Max Goldberg, who complained through the Musicians' Union that Ahola was a foreigner taking their work. By 1931, the Rhythmic Eight was virtually indistinguishable from the myriad of other recording studio outfits that turned out the latest dance hits, with the number of hot solos having decreased markedly. The band's last recording session took place in September 1932. Luckily, through these rare Zonophone recordings, we are able to enjoy the Rhythmic Eight at its peak, playing small band jazz of the highest order.

      Songs:
      Personnel
      Details:

      She My Girl Friend?
      You Don't Like It
      Corn Fed
      Back Beats
      Miss Annabelle Lee
      There's A Cradle in Caroline
      Ain't Got Nobody
      Heart-Breakin' Baby
      Together, We Two
      After My Laughter Came Tears
      Faces At The Window
      Wob-A-Ly Walk
      We Ain't Got Nothin' To Lose
      Way Back When
      For My Baby
      Can't Help Lovin' That Man
      Mississippi Mud
      She's A Great, Great Girl
      Didn't I Tell You?
      Because My Baby Don't Mean 'Maybe' Now
      Slow Music
      This Is The Way The Puff-Puff Goes
      All By Yourself In The Moonlight
      From Saturday Night 'Till Monday Morning
      Don't Be Like That
      Shout Hallelujah, 'Cause I'm Home
      My Southern Home
      I'm Crazy Over You
      That's Her Now
      A Dicky Bird Told Me So
      Umtcha, Umtcha, Da-Da-Da
      Rhythm King
      I Faw Down An' Go "Boom"!
      I'm On My Way South
      My Troubles Are Over
      Heigh Ho, Ev'rybody
      Haven't I?
      You're A Pain In The Heart To Me
      Spring It In The Summer And She'll Fall
      Kansas City Kitty
      I'm Doing What I'm Doing For Love
      I'm Feathering A Nest
      I've Got A Feeling I'm Falling
      Loveable And Sweet
      Sweet-Hearts' Holiday
      I'm Speaking Of Kentucky Days
      'Tain't No Sin
      Harlem Madness
      Personnel: Sylvester Ahola, Bert Firman, Danny Polo, Barney Sorkin, Perley Breed, Frank Guarante, Johnny Hoffer, Max Coldberg, Arthur Lally
      Label: RETRIEVAL Number:79059 Item Code: 64755

      Executive Producer Chris Ellis
      Produced and Compiled Nick Dellow
      Liner Notes Nick Dellow
      Photo Material Nick Dellow
      Original Records from Nick Dellow, Dick Hill, Brian Rust, Charles Hippisley-Cox, Andreas Schmauder, Max Easterman