Re: [RedHotJazz] Edith Wilson

    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 1, 2009
      Brunswick 4685 allegedly exists in two distinct couplings using E-31558/9,
      recorded about 19 November 1929, and E-31585/6, recorded about 22 November
      1929.

      Rust shows only one of these sessions in any of the editions I have (3rd,
      5th, 6th). Rust 3 lists only E-31585/6, Rust 5 & 6 list only E-31558/9,
      having treated the report of these masters (by Frank Dutton from the
      Brunswick files), as a correction rather than an addition, assuming no doubt
      that 31558/31585 are a metathesis and ignoring the other masters. We show
      both sessions correctly in Blues & Gospel Records.

      Rust¹s personnel appeared first in the 4th edition, but it doesn¹t look like
      names anyone would have presumed to identify aurally so I guess one of the
      alleged participants made a claim that someone related to this record.
      Earlier discographies, knowing only of E-31585/6, have personnel unknown.

      I don¹t know what the evidence is that there are really alternative versions
      on Brunswick 4685. The information came from Frank Dutton and may therefore
      come from Brunswick file data. I have certainly not knowingly heard two
      versions of either title.

      I think all reissues probably use E-31585/6. It would be worth comparing the
      Archeophone with Document DOCD5451. Archeophone appear unaware of the
      alternative versions. Manaña.

      on 01/12/2009 09:55, kbrau44 at kbrau44@... wrote:

      > There is a beautiful double-cd on Archeophone 6006 with a lot of Mary Stafford
      > and Edith Wilson. But when compiling nobody seems to have checked the
      > personnels. I would ask all interested listeners to listen closely to Edith
      > Wilson´s "Black And Blue/My Man Is Good For Nothing But Love" c. Nov. 1929 Br
      > 4685. The personnel seems to come from RUST, but the matrix no.s are
      > different in the cd-booklet, and the personnel?
      > By the way, on the second title is fantastic band playing, and it swings like
      > hell. But what of the musicians?

    • kbrau44
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 29, 2009
        Hi everybody, as nobody except Howard Rye seems to be interested in my note re Edith Wilson on Brunswick November 1929: I have compared the Document release and the Archaeophone and I hear no difference, so I think the items being identical. But: other than Rust there is a reed player playing flute on Black And Blue and clarinet on My Man Is Good ... and another reed player playing altosax. Rust only lists a clarinet. Obviously the alto player is identical on both sides (as I think Emerson Harper, who was more of a legitimate player in the Leroy Smith band), the flutist doubling on clarinet on the second side. According to his weak time in the last break of the ensemble chorus this very probably seems to be Albert Socarras. And then there is an unlisted tuba. The whole personnel with Charlie Gaines and Wilbur de Paris seems to be drawn from the Leroy Smith band. A very beautiful recording with a superbly swinging band!