Clarence Williams

  • kbrau44
    Message 1 of 17 , Nov 22, 2009
      Hi everybody, I have a lot of suggestions for re-examine established (or semi-established) Clarence Williams personnels, which I would like to offer in these pages here. Let´s start with: Vocal duet Cl. Williams - Joe Sims of Jan. 1927: I hear a bjo together with cnt and pno. What do you hear and think? Please, listen and let me know! K-B
    • hans.eekhoff
      Message 2 of 17 , Nov 22, 2009
        Could you provide titles?

        --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "kbrau44" <kbrau44@...> wrote:

        > Hi everybody, I have a lot of suggestions for re-examine established (or semi-established) Clarence Williams personnels, which I would like to offer in these pages here. Let´s start with: Vocal duet Cl. Williams - Joe Sims of Jan. 1927: I hear a bjo together with cnt and pno. What do you hear and think? Please, listen and let me know! K-B

      • Mordechai Litzman
        Message 3 of 17 , Nov 22, 2009
          Could you provide the name of the tune and under which name it was recorded (and perhaps a link if it is not on the RHJA ?

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 17 , Nov 22, 2009
            The two titles in question are "What Do You Know About That?" and "Shut Your Mouth", recorded for Paramount around January 1927. They have been reissued twice recently: one take of each title is on the "Big Charlie THomas" CD on Timeless CBC-1-030 and two takes of each on the JSP Complete Fats Waller set Box 1.

            Although there is a great deal of surface noise on the records, I do indeed hear a banjo quite distincly along with the piano, although he neither solos nor plays noticable embellishments.

            ____________________________
            > From: kbrau44 <kbrau44@...>

            > Subject: [RedHotJazz] Clarence Williams
            > LetŽs start with: Vocal duet Cl.
            > Williams - Joe Sims of Jan. 1927: I hear a bjo together with cnt and
            > pno. What do you hear and think? Please, listen and let me know! K-B

            Preisknaller: WEB.DE DSL Flatrate für nur 16,99 Euro/mtl.!
            http://produkte.web.de/go/02/
          • Wouter Maréchal
            Message 5 of 17 , Nov 22, 2009
              I think it is about:

              Shut Your Mouth (Joe Simms) 1-1927 New York, New York Paramount 12435
              What Do You Know About That? (Clarence Williams) 1-1927 New York, New York
              Paramount 12435

              Both not highlighted in the RHJA.
              Banjo is not listed by Rust.

              cheers
              Wouter M.
            • Agustin Perez Gasco
              Message 6 of 17 , Nov 22, 2009
                In his "Fats Waller - Ultimate Discography", Stephen Taylor lists:

                c. January 1927 Joe Sims and Clarence Williams -  Paramount
                New York City, New York.

                Joe Sims and Clarence Williams, vocal duet; (?) Louis Metcalf, c; Fats Waller, p.

                2799-1 What Do You Know About That
                78: Pm 12435-B
                10″: Audubon AAM
                12″: Biograph 6370.908 = Biograph BLP12006, Byg 33, Byg 529.088, Joker SM3124
                CD: Classics 718, Timeless CBC1-030JAZZ

                2799-2 What Do You Know About That
                Unissued, recording exists.
                2799 take descriptions. Patter following piano interlude:
                -1: “Now you acting like you from the land of red beans and rice”
                -2: “Now you acting like you from down home”

                2800-1 Shut Your Mouth
                Unissued, recording exists.

                2800-2 Shut Your Mouth
                78: Pm 12435-A
                10″: Audubon AAM
                12″: Biograph 6370.908 = Biograph BLP12006, Byg 33, Byg 529.088, Joker SM3124
                CD: Classics 718, Timeless CBC1-030JAZZ
                2800 take descriptions. Beginning of third vocal sequence:
                -1: “There was some cheating done last night. Shut your mouth”
                -2: “There was some cheating done in the store last night. Who was it? Shut your mouth”

                Best regards,
                Agustín Pérez
                Madrid
                Mule Walk & Jazz Talk:  http://thereisjazzbeforetrane.blogspot.com/

                ________________________________

                Message 7 of 17 , Nov 23, 2009
                  Max Vreede had the original issue as well as a Paramount test with different takes of these on each side. At the time (late 60's) the general consensus was Fats on piano and Louis Metcalfe trumpet.
                  They did those numbers in a stage show with Fats; hence the suggestion that he was on these sides.
                  However, Max didn't think it was Fats - and I agree; it doesn't really sound like him. I don't know enough of Metcalfe's playing to venture an opinion.
                  Hans Eekhoff

                  --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, Michael Rader <Rader.Michael@...> wrote:

                  > The two titles in question are "What Do You Know About That?" and "Shut Your Mouth", recorded for Paramount around January 1927. They have been reissued twice recently: one take of each title is on the "Big Charlie THomas" CD on Timeless CBC-1-030 and two takes of each on the JSP Complete Fats Waller set Box 1.
                  >
                  > Although there is a great deal of surface noise on the records, I do indeed hear a banjo quite distincly along with the piano, although he neither solos nor plays noticable embellishments.
                  >
                  > Michael Rader

                  > > Could you provide the name of the tune and under which name it was
                  > > recorded (and perhaps a link if it is not on the RHJA ?
                  > ____________________________
                  > > From: kbrau44 <kbrau44@...>
                  >
                  > > Subject: [RedHotJazz] Clarence Williams
                  > > Let´s start with: Vocal duet Cl.
                  > > Williams - Joe Sims of Jan. 1927: I hear a bjo together with cnt and
                  > > pno. What do you hear and think? Please, listen and let me know! K-B

                  > Preisknaller: WEB.DE DSL Flatrate für nur 16,99 Euro/mtl.!
                  > http://produkte.web.de/go/02/

                • Dan Van Landingham
                  Message 8 of 17 , Nov 23, 2009
                    What can you tell me abut four sides Waller cut for QRS?

                    ____________ _________ _________ __

                    Message 9 of 17 , Nov 23, 2009
                      Which QRS recordings?

                      Message 10 of 17 , Nov 24, 2009
                        Since it was included in the "Big Charlie" Thomas CD, John R.T. Davies offers a different identification for the trumpeter. Any opinions?

                        Also, is it Waller or not as Hans Eekhoff suggests in his posting.

                        But above all: Do people owing these sides, which are readily available on CD, actually *hear* the banjo K-B Rau suggests as also being present.

                        Michael Rader
                        > In his "Fats Waller - Ultimate Discography", Stephen Taylor lists:
                        >
                        > c. January 1927 Joe Sims and Clarence Williams - Paramount
                        > New York City, New York.
                        >
                        > Joe Sims and Clarence Williams, vocal duet; (?) Louis Metcalf, c;
                        > Fats Waller, p.
                        >
                        > 2799-1 What Do You Know About That
                        > 78: Pm 12435-B

                        > 2799-2 What Do You Know About That
                        > Unissued, recording exists.
                        > 2799 take descriptions. Patter following piano interlude:
                        > -1: “Now you acting like you from the land of red beans and rice”
                        > -2: “Now you acting like you from down home”
                        >
                        > 2800-1 Shut Your Mouth
                        > Unissued, recording exists.
                        >
                        > 2800-2 Shut Your Mouth
                        > 78: Pm 12435-A
                        > 10″: Audubon AAM
                        > 12″: Biograph 6370.908 = Biograph BLP12006, Byg 33, Byg 529.088,
                        > Joker SM3124
                        > CD: Classics 718, Timeless CBC1-030JAZZ
                        > 2800 take descriptions. Beginning of third vocal sequence:
                        > -1: “There was some cheating done last night. Shut your mouth”
                        > -2: “There was some cheating done in the store last night. Who was
                        > it? Shut your mouth”

                      • Michael
                        Message 11 of 17 , Nov 24, 2009
                          This information is identical to that contained in Laurie Wright's "Fats in Fact". Lord's Clarence Williams book has a question mark against Waller's name, so????

                          Michael Rader

                          --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, Agustin Perez Gasco <ekebbbapg@...> wrote:

                          > In his "Fats Waller - Ultimate Discography", Stephen Taylor lists:
                          >
                          > c. January 1927 Joe Sims and Clarence Williams -  Paramount
                          > New York City, New York.
                          >
                          > Joe Sims and Clarence Williams, vocal duet; (?) Louis Metcalf, c; Fats Waller, p.
                        • yves francois
                          Message 12 of 17 , Nov 24, 2009
                            K.B. et Michel
                            Thanks Michael - now I have to buy the Waller set - 2 takes of those  recordings ! The trumpet is great (Big Charlie or not, not quite enough evidence but I have nothing against it being he), even if it only riffs, now to what you asked - I have the BCT Timeless so i have only one take of each - there is defiantly a banjo on "What Do You Know About That" - and seems to be (though I am not so certain, the banjo, if he is there, is off mike - or should I say off recording "horn"? - as is the trumpeter behind the vocal duet) on "Shut Your Mouth" - and you get a REAL feel of Harlem on these duets!! Re: if it is Fats or not, I'll listen to it a few more times
                            hope this helps
                            Yves Francois
                          • kbrau44
                            Message 13 of 17 , Nov 27, 2009
                              Hi Yves Francois, thanks for reply, yes, that´s exactly what I hear. There certainly is a banjo on "What Do You Know", but I am not so certain on "Shut Your Mouth". I came to discover the bjo by thinking about the very compact rhythm I heard, which simply seemed to be too thick for a pno alone. The pianist certainly is a stride man with a strong left hand, if Waller, I do not know. (Wouldn´t Waller have claimed to have a solo?). And I would like to follow John R.T.´s suggestion that this is "Big" Charlie Thomas. Thomas has a very light , somewhat airy approach to Armstrong´s style, which can be found here, although only riffing. Nice to get a confirmation. Thanks! K-B
                              By the way, although these tunes are not sooo much Jazz, I simply love them because of their charme!

                              --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, yves francois <aprestitine@...> wrote:

                              > K.B. et Michel
                              > Thanks Michael - now I have to buy the Waller set - 2 takes of those  recordings ! The trumpet is great (Big Charlie or not, not quite enough evidence but I have nothing against it being he), even if it only riffs, now to what you asked - I have the BCT Timeless so i have only one take of each - there is defiantly a banjo on "What Do You Know About That" - and seems to be (though I am not so certain, the banjo, if he is there, is off mike - or should I say off recording "horn"? - as is the trumpeter behind the vocal duet) on "Shut Your Mouth" - and you get a REAL feel of Harlem on these duets!! Re: if it is Fats or not, I'll listen to it a few more times
                              > hope this helps
                              > Yves Francois

                            • kbrau44
                              Message 14 of 17 , Nov 27, 2009
                                Hi Mordechai, see Michael Rader´s answer and my response to Yves Francois! K-B

                                Message 15 of 17 , Nov 27, 2009
                                  Hi Hans, see my response to Yves Francois and Michael Rader´s mail to this subject. K-B

                                  --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "hans.eekhoff" <oriole@...> wrote:

                                  > Max Vreede had the original issue as well as a Paramount test with different takes of these on each side. At the time (late 60's) the general consensus was Fats on piano and Louis Metcalfe trumpet.
                                  > They did those numbers in a stage show with Fats; hence the suggestion that he was on these sides.
                                  > However, Max didn't think it was Fats - and I agree; it doesn't really sound like him. I don't know enough of Metcalfe's playing to venture an opinion.
                                  > Hans Eekhoff
                                  >

                                  > --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, Michael Rader <Rader.Michael@> wrote:
                                  > >
                                  > > The two titles in question are "What Do You Know About That?" and "Shut Your Mouth", recorded for Paramount around January 1927. They have been reissued twice recently: one take of each title is on the "Big Charlie THomas" CD on Timeless CBC-1-030 and two takes of each on the JSP Complete Fats Waller set Box 1.
                                  > >
                                  > > Although there is a great deal of surface noise on the records, I do indeed hear a banjo quite distincly along with the piano, although he neither solos nor plays noticable embellishments.
                                  > >
                                  > > Michael Rader

                                  > > > Could you provide the name of the tune and under which name it was
                                  > > > recorded (and perhaps a link if it is not on the RHJA ?
                                  > > ____________________________
                                  > > > From: kbrau44 <kbrau44@>
                                  > >
                                  > > > Subject: [RedHotJazz] Clarence Williams
                                  > > > Let´s start with: Vocal duet Cl.
                                  > > > Williams - Joe Sims of Jan. 1927: I hear a bjo together with cnt and
                                  > > > pno. What do you hear and think? Please, listen and let me know! K-B

                                  > > Preisknaller: WEB.DE DSL Flatrate für nur 16,99 Euro/mtl.!
                                  > > http://produkte.web.de/go/02/

                                • kbrau44
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Dec 21, 2009
                                    Good evening, everybody! Michael Rader and I have just started a very interesting discussion on Clarence Williams band personnels. Here, a reexamination is certainly overdue.

                                    As we both agree on the necessity and importance of this project, which deals with one of the major problems in classic jazz that have to be solved, we would like to invite every interested jazz-buff to participate.

                                    I have prepared a list of all recorded Clarence Williams band personnels from November 1925 on to May 1933, including singer accompaniments, coming from: 1. Tom Lord, Cl. Williams, and 2. Rust, 6th edition. This list is ready to be dispatched by e-mail.

                                    Michael and I have begun to discuss the personnels of 2 pages (i.e. 6 sessions) each week and have found this a conveniant way to progress.
                                    So, if you would like to participate and are eager to listen and find out, just drop a line to: <mailto:kb.rau@...> and you will receive our list to work on it.

                                    But we expect you to be willing to listen and give your opinions and/or finds at every week´s end per e-mail!

                                    We would be glad to hear from you! K-B
                                  • kbrau44
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Dec 30, 2009
                                      I would like everybody to know, that our Cl. Williams project is now on the way. This does not mean, that anybody interested will not be able to participate anymore. So, please, check item 7896 of Dec. 21 about conditions and do not hesitate to call me by e-mail if you would like to help us. Any competent help will be gladly appreciated. So, hurry up! K-B