Re: Ernest Virgo/Nelson, was: Oh no, not Flo again

  • spacelights
    Message 1 of 24 , Nov 15, 2009
      On the subject of the Wade band in New York... is this the basis for the Perry Bradford Timeless CD's firm identification of a Wade group on the 1926 Georgia Strutters dates? Do our Arnett Nelson researchers hear him on the Strutters' Wasn't It Nice?/Original Black Bottom Dance?

      Here's a relevant (if somewhat open to interpretation) excerpt from Bradford's 1965 memoir... He attributes this quote to Eddie South:

      "...Perry gave Jimmy Wade's band our first break when we came to New York... yes, he laid four recording dates on us, and through Perry's efforts we got a five months' engagement at Club Alabam. Our band followed Fletcher (Smack) Henderson into this exclusive club when Smack moved into the Roseland Ballroom."

      Wade's group recorded with Bradford for Gennett in April 1927; the other dates seem to be the OKeh Bradfords...?

      John

      ps The early Wade Paramounts are prime candidates for remastering/reissue.