Re: Jackson´s Southern Stompers

  • Michael
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 10, 2009
      Listening ten or so times for the trumpet really is dedication ;-) and if the Hot'n'Sweet uses the Davies transfer, it can't entirely be torture. After what KB said, I listened particularly for the drums and the rhythm section and while I think I hear drums similar to those on the Charlie Johnson Victors, especially in one passage towards the end of "Dusky Stevedore", I'm also fairly sure that it is Cyrus St. Clair on the brass bass instrument - when he come to the foreground, he sounds like the St. Clair we all know from Clarence Williams recordings (e.g. the QRS "Midnight Stomp"). Now I'll try to find up-tempo Leonard Davis.

      The notes to the Frogspawn still give the Johnson band as probably personnel, but superficially it does sound quite like the Krazy Kats (better name than Marvin Smolev) on their faster numbers (Horse Feathers, The Terror).

      Michael Rader
    • kbrau44
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 10, 2009
        Michael, sorry, yes, I forgot to name St. Clair. It certainly is him! The Ristic personnel listed Buster Bailey as clarinetist, but I think it is just Ben Whitted on clt, with his simple and functional down-to-earth and no-nonsense clt-style. He is a much better man than hitherto regarded!! (I think, Harry Dial´s claim that Whitted was thrown out of Waller´s Rhythm because of being unable to improvise is simple nonsense. He was not a spectacular musician as others were, rather modest and unassuming.) Also, the Ristic sleeve said, that there is no piano. Charlie Johnson himself was a very unassuming man (just think of his recorded output) and not a great piano player, but a great leader to his band, so it would be obvious for him to stay in the background, especially, as these were stock arrangements.
        Re Ben Whitted: It would be most rewarding to check all through the reedmen in the Clarence Williams bands, as listed in Tom Lord. I myself have found a lot of better "guesses"! But about that in a later Yahoo item!