Jackson´s Southern Stompers

  • kbrau44
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 9, 2009
      When receiving Ristic 26 about 40 years ago, I immediately wrote a letter to John R.T. expressing my assumption, that this was the Charlie Johnson band. First of all was the drumming absolutely identical to that of George Stafford, second the bjo-playing was of the Bobby Johnson kind, third Harrison was easily identifiable and the overall sound was what I knew of this band. John R.T. did not agree but I was happy when in later years I found my assumption listed in RUST 4.
      There really is no band that I have studied more than the Johnson band. It still is my favorite, and I have copied most of their arrangements for my own band. Today I am collating everything to be found in the books about them, hoping to publish the material in the future. And out of my knowledge I am pretty sure that the Jacksons are the Johnsons.
      I admit that I do not identify de Paris, but Leonard Davis instead. And I do hear B. Waters, although he himself has denied his presence in later years. For me there is no resmblance to the Jackson´s Crazy Cats.
      By the way, Rev. Jackson was "one pseudonym which Joe Davis himself used" (Never Sell A Copyright p. 45) and : "it is by no means impossible for this to be a Joe-Davis-arranged group" (same). It should have been easy to hire the Johnson band under a pseudonym with so little recording activities at hand! According to my files the personnel is that of the second half of 1928.