FW: Tommy Ladnier's biography now available! Stupendous book!

    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 24, 2009
      I think a lot of rhj members will be interested in this.

      I have no financial interest, and have not yet seen the book, but I think it
      is very unlikely the authors will not have done a good job!

      Dear Jazz Connoisseurs,
      Traveling Blues, The Life and Music of Tommy Ladnier is now available on
      <www.jazzedit.org>

      Here is the opinion of the great researcher Philippe Baudoin:
      "Congratulations! I had great expectations about your work, but the result
      is even greater!!!"

      This is the result of a ten years common research. We thank you in advance
      for your support, Swingingly, Bo Lindström and Dan Vernhettes

      Traveling Blues
      The Life and Music of Tommy Ladnier.
      by Bo Lindström and Dan Vernhettes
      Foreword by Frank Driggs
      Published by Jazz¹Edit in a limited edition
      of 500 copies
      216 pages, English text, 302 illustrations,
      of which many have never been published before.
      Format: 26 cm x 28,5 cm, offset quadri
      Available in October 2009 at a cost of 40 euros per
      copy (mailing in addition) on <www.jazzedit.org>
      or directly at jazzedit@...
      or by telephone at 0033 (0)146702401
      Also at Bolm@... (+4686268066)
      Indeed, Tommy Ladnier deserved a book. This exceptio-
      nal work, the result of a long collaboration between the
      authors, is presented in a lively lay-out.
      Traveling Blues is a beau-
      tiful book and a work of
      reference.
      ³...This remarkable book is
      loaded with details on the
      lives of Tommy Ladnier
      and most of the people he
      played with. There are
      hundreds of illustrations,
      photos of people I¹ve never
      even seen before and I¹ve
      seen most of the photos of
      jazz musicians over the
      past fifty years. The depth
      of research is I believe
      unparalleled.
      God bless the two fanatics
      who have devoted so much
      of their time and energy to
      bring this work of love to
      fruition.²
      Frank Driggs,
      June 2009

      TABLE OF CONTENTS
      Acknowledgments 3
      Foreword by Frank Driggs 5
      Chapter 1Louisiana colonization 9
      Chapter 2St. Tammany and Mandeville 17
      Chapter 3The Ladnier Family 23
      Chapter 8The First European Tour 83
      Chapter 9The Fletcher Henderson Days 111
      Chapter 10Job-Hopping in Europe 131
      Chapter 11With Noble Sissle 153
      Chapter 12Bechet and the Southern Tailor Shop 163
      Chapter 13Last Days with Panassié and Mezzrow 173

      ------ End of Forwarded Message

    • hans.eekhoff
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 25, 2009
        Good news about the book! Here is a great video of the Noble Sissle band with Arthur Briggs and Tommy Ladnier on trumpets.

        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nd3VfziMPg8

        Hans Eekhoff

        > I think a lot of rhj members will be interested in this.
        >
        > I have no financial interest, and have not yet seen the book, but I think it
        > is very unlikely the authors will not have done a good job!

        > howard@...
        > Tel/FAX: +44 20 8521 1098
        >

        > Dear Jazz Connoisseurs,
        > Traveling Blues, The Life and Music of Tommy Ladnier is now available on
        > <www.jazzedit.org>
        >
        > Here is the opinion of the great researcher Philippe Baudoin:
        > "Congratulations! I had great expectations about your work, but the result
        > is even greater!!!"
        >
        > This is the result of a ten years common research. We thank you in advance
        > for your support, Swingingly, Bo Lindström and Dan Vernhettes
        >

        > Traveling Blues
        > The Life and Music of Tommy Ladnier.
        > by Bo Lindström and Dan Vernhettes
        > Foreword by Frank Driggs
        > Published by Jazz¹Edit in a limited edition
        > of 500 copies
        > 216 pages, English text, 302 illustrations,
        > of which many have never been published before.
        > Format: 26 cm x 28,5 cm, offset quadri
        > Available in October 2009 at a cost of 40 euros per
        > copy (mailing in addition) on <www.jazzedit.org>
        > or directly at jazzedit@...
        > or by telephone at 0033 (0)146702401
        > Also at Bolm@... (+4686268066)
        > Indeed, Tommy Ladnier deserved a book. This exceptio-
        > nal work, the result of a long collaboration between the
        > authors, is presented in a lively lay-out.
        > Traveling Blues is a beau-
        > tiful book and a work of
        > reference.
        > ³...This remarkable book is
        > loaded with details on the
        > lives of Tommy Ladnier
        > and most of the people he
        > played with. There are
        > hundreds of illustrations,
        > photos of people I¹ve never
        > even seen before and I¹ve
        > seen most of the photos of
        > jazz musicians over the
        > past fifty years. The depth
        > of research is I believe
        > unparalleled.
        > God bless the two fanatics
        > who have devoted so much
        > of their time and energy to
        > bring this work of love to
        > fruition.²
        > Frank Driggs,
        > June 2009
        >
        > TABLE OF CONTENTS
        > Acknowledgments 3
        > Foreword by Frank Driggs 5
        > Chapter 1Louisiana colonization 9
        > Chapter 2St. Tammany and Mandeville 17
        > Chapter 3The Ladnier Family 23
        > Chapter 8The First European Tour 83
        > Chapter 9The Fletcher Henderson Days 111
        > Chapter 10Job-Hopping in Europe 131
        > Chapter 11With Noble Sissle 153
        > Chapter 12Bechet and the Southern Tailor Shop 163
        > Chapter 13Last Days with Panassié and Mezzrow 173
        >

        > ------ End of Forwarded Message

      • Agustin Perez Gasco
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 25, 2009
          The Fletcher Henderson chapter was published in the two latest IAJRC Journals (Vol.42 nº2 - June 2009 & Vol.42 nº3 - September 2009), two installments. It combines outstanding biographical research and thorough musical analysis.

          Best regards,
          Agustín Pérez
          Mule Walk & Jazz Talk:  http://thereisjazzbeforetrane.blogspot.com/

          howard@coppermill. demon.co. uk