RE: [RedHotJazz] BUDDY CHRISTIAN CREOLE FIVE

    Message 1 of 27 , Oct 6 12:38 AM
      Dave, Yves, everyone

      > The Rippers are on the Big Charlie Thomas Timeless but the Creole 5s
      > are
      > not. Therefore JRT did not think they were the same man.

      No, since he claims that the Timeless has all Big Charlie except for alternates (the Joe Sims and the Tom Morrises almost certainly known *not* to be Big Charlie) and one session-mate (the OKeh MelodyStars) for negligible Charlie-content. BUT Daniel Nevers in the note to the Hot 'n' Sweet Clarence Williams Vol. 3 suggests Big Charlie for the Creole Five.

      > Whether the player on the Rippers is Charlie, or if there ever was a
      > Charlie, is still an enigma to me.

      Eva Taylor remembered and actually described him as something Thomas or Thomas something, an older man with little hair. Charlie Thomas was putting this together with the shout of encouragement to "Big Charlie" on one of the Jazz Rippers sides.

      Neu: WEB.DE Doppel-FLAT mit Internet-Flatrate + Telefon-Flatrate
      für nur 19,99 Euro/mtl.!* http://produkte.web.de/go/02/
      Message 2 of 27 , Oct 9 3:09 AM
        Thanks to Yves for bringing our attention to these sides which I have now
        heard although not in definitive quality.

        Indeed wonderful cornet playing if strangely 'faltering', as John points
        out, on 'Sugar House'. I respect John as Morris expert and also agree that
        the playing on this side is similar to that on the 'Five Musical Blackbirds'
        which I do believe to be Morris, if somewhat untypical.

        However, the other sides are some distance from Tom in looseness of
        phrasing, range, Louis influence and, above all, lack of the familiar
        delicate Morris wa-wa. The wonderful muted work here -- how is that
        obtained? -- is much less tight in both phrasing and sound. The cornet on
        both 'Sunset' and 'Texas Mule' is very light and not a million miles from
        'Big Charlie'.

        I have listened to, and excluded, June Clark, an obvious candidate in this
        milieu. As to Harry Cooper, I can find no evidence of similar playing but
        then the problem is, as Michael observed, finding exposed single guaranteed.
        The best I can find is on the Clara Smith 25 September 1925 and I assume
        that Cooper is cast iron on this? The playing here shows less Louis
        influence, the phrasing is stiffer, the mute style is far broader and the
        tone more acid. Also there are omnipresent growls that are nowhere on the
        Creoles. Also the work with Ellington, totally contemporaneous with the
        Creoles, although agreed a different context, is no way compatible, stiffer,
        sourer, less 'modern'.

        I have therefore no candidate except possibly Big Charlie who is anyway a
        phantom. Unknown is best and if the Big Charlie issue proves anything it is
        that, as JRT subversively claims in his notes:-

        'while certainly a relatively small number of musicians reached the
        recording studios in those days, probably at least ten times as many as
        those whose names we know also recorded --- who have long merited
        recognition but have been passed over simply because their names were not
        remembered and may yet, given a name -- any name -- be recognised and
        appreciated.'

        Message 3 of 27 , Oct 9 3:30 AM
          Harry Cooper is named on the Columbia file card which is as cast iron as it
          gets! The other three band members are named also.

          on 09/10/2009 11:09, David Brown at johnhaleysims@... wrote:

          > As to Harry Cooper, I can find no evidence of similar playing but
          > then the problem is, as Michael observed, finding exposed single guaranteed.
          > The best I can find is on the Clara Smith 25 September 1925 and I assume
          > that Cooper is cast iron on this? The playing here shows less Louis
          > influence, the phrasing is stiffer, the mute style is far broader and the
          > tone more acid. Also there are omnipresent growls that are nowhere on the
          > Creoles. Also the work with Ellington, totally contemporaneous with the
          > Creoles, although agreed a different context, is no way compatible, stiffer,
          > sourer, less 'modern'.

        • yves francois
          Message 4 of 27 , Oct 9 1:13 PM
               David and all - first you are very welcome. I love the Creole Five session - there is so much simpatico on the recordings. I was wondering on the cornet on the session - since the excellent but rather constricted work on "Sugar house Stomp"  did not remind me of Cooper, but the very bluesy approach on 'Sunset Blues" does - almost a different man sort to speak, save for the identical intonation (a lot of musicians including Morris, relax on the blues). I was comparing the cornet on the blues to the known Cooper sides (the Smith, and the HH4) and felt these sides may of been Cooper, but the fist title did NOT sound like him. I also have to note that the work in 1926 with Duke was pointing ahead, yes, it could have been that Cooper was part of the movement towards greater rhythmic freedom in his work- even over just a year earlier on the HH4, the Smith and Seminole sessions, and this could exclude him from this (after all he was with very forward
            musicians like Ellington, Abbey, Maceo Jefferson etc as the years progressed).    Regarding Thomas Morris (whom I also do like), it does sound a lot like him on the first tile (though the phrases are a little different to me), maybe that's why his and Cooper's names show up , after Gaines said he was not on the session. May I suggest listening to one other trumpet and that's Gus Aiken - comparing to the 1923 Gulf Coast Seven sides, and the 1925 Charlie Johnson Emerson (a great record for the trumpet and trombone work on it - is Aiken defiantly on this?), try the "Papa Better Watch Your Step" by the GCS, or either Johnson's from 1925 (esp the breaks on the "Meddlin With The Blues" - about 40 seconds in - shame about the over arranged moments on what could of been a fantastic record). Agree with David that putting forth the obvious June Clark would be wrong, as would (if we are keeping to NYC based trumpets that Bradford used in the post Dunn days)
            Thornton Brown.      I think the obvious unknown (inconnu) may have to stay listed on these recordings after all these years - will keep on listening to Morris, Cooper, RQ Dickerson (another slight possibility, he did share some of the same rhythms one finds in other St Louis trumpets of the 1920's - eg early Shoffner, Creath, and whomever that sensitive but rough trumpet was on Powell's Jazz Monarchs from St Louis - love the trumpet on that) and Gus Aiken and hope I find more to maybe bring up interest on these great horn players (or that splendid muted sound on "Sugar house Stomp") - and remember, unknown horn players on old records are like great art from China and Africa - we need not know or even pretend to know who is playing on the recording to appreciate itYves Francois Smierciak

[...]

            Dave

            Recent Activity

            Visit Your Group

            Give Back
            Yahoo! for Good
            Get inspired
            by a good cause.

            Y! Toolbar
            Get it Free!
            easy 1-click access
            to your groups.

            Yahoo! Groups
            Start a group
            in 3 easy steps.
            Connect with others.

            .

            Message 5 of 27 , Oct 12 7:36 AM
              Hi Yves

              Right about Tom Morris being almost two players. Never at his best when
              required to follow an arrangement -- I doubt he actually read -- he blossoms
              with the freedom of looser context.

              Aiken I have chronologically nearest to the Creoles on another Clara, 30
              July 1927 and on a Bradford, 16 Feb 1927. The work on the latter session,
              especially 'All That I Had Is Gone', is good but the phrasing and
              articulation are slower and heavier than on the Creoles. Compare the work
              leading out 'All That --' with that leading out 'Texas Mule' and this is
              obviously a different player. The player on the Johnsons is impressive but
              rhythmically stiff and I note the almost parody of period growl. Elsewhere
              Aiken is hard to find with no less than seven sessions in Rust as ? or poss.
              and one wonders just how useful these attributions are.

              I still cannot hear Cooper as showing particular rhythmic freedom at this
              stage. But I have dug out some sides he made in Paris during the war. And I
              wonder how he was not interned ? The playing here is much more technically
              impressive, rhythmically freer and flowing. He does not sound as
              anachronistic as one might expect after expatriation in Europe since 1928.
              There were at least two sessions in Paris, one 1942 under Fouad and one 1943
              under Rostaing. Are they anywhere available complete ? Are there any further
              later examples of his playing ?

              I also hit the almost contemporary 1941 Aiken session with Bechet. Not so
              impressive, overrun by Bechet and rather ragged but nice on 'Sleepy Time'
              which I guess he had a chance to absorb in the Louis big band.

            • jtdyamond
              Message 6 of 27 , Oct 12 2:47 PM
                Hi David and others:

                It's members of the Jimmy Wade Orchestra (including Wade himself, c, and Arnett Nelson, cl) with possibly JP Johnson on p, on the 16 Feb 1927 Bradford session. The Aiken Brothers, Gus and Eugene, were on the Paramount Bradford session recorded c. May 1923 (Fade Away Blues/Day Break Blues). You can also find early Aiken on a number of Black Swan sides associated with Ethel Waters, recorded in 1921 (see Hendersonia) - and early 1922 - but only before EW's southern tour in 1922 however.

                J.T. Dyamond

                Message 7 of 27 , Oct 13 12:16 AM
                  Hello J.T. Nice to hear.

                  Thanks. Rust (1969) has Aiken firmly in place alongside J.P.J. on the
                  Bradford. How did this ever get running then ? Although I do not have the
                  April 1927 Gennetts for comparison, I believe you and was puzzling
                  yesterday as to the clarinet. Ah Arnett !

                  I think this supports my scepticism on Aiken, and other, Rustian
                  attributions.

                  There is very little piano to be heard and the placement of J.P.J. here must
                  also then be questionable.

                • spacelights
                  Message 8 of 27 , Oct 13 3:35 PM
                    Thanks for starting this thread, Yves...

                    At the risk of over-speculation and attendant projections, I suspect the second cornetist on the Gulf Coast Seven's "Papa Better Watch Your Step" and "Memphis Tennessee" is Morris... These were made the same day as the final Morris Past Jazz Masters session. He seems to have been a casual participant in the GCS: Gus Aiken plays the primary cornet parts, to which (probably) Morris lends sporadic support. A photo caption in Perry Bradford's memoir 'Born With The Blues' (1965) refers to Thomas Morris simply as "jazz cornet master".

                    I agree the Charlie Johnson "Meddlin' With The Blues" is a fascinating period piece: some elaborate arrangement, yes, but I think it works. The listed second cornetist Leroy Rutledge's only other known sessions are those two Ellington dates with Harry Cooper.

                    Best wishes,

                    John

                    Message 9 of 27 , Oct 13 3:43 PM
                      Is Margaret Carter a pseudonym for Margaret Johnson (or vice versa)? Listening to the latter's "When A 'Gator Hollers, Folks Say It's A Sign Of Rain" and "Graysom Street Blues" (20 October 1926), the voice and delivery sound quite similar.

                      It's interesting to compare the the Jazz Rippers "South Rampart Street Blues" to a version by the New Orleans Blue Five two or three months later. Indeed, it indicates that the Rippers cornetist could be Morris after all, "Big Charlie Thomas" whimsy notwithstanding. The cornet solo and out-chorus on "The Skunk" sound markedly similar to Morris's work (especially his out-chorus lead) on "'Tain't Nobody's Bus'ness If I Do" with Clarence Williams in 1923.

                      There are similarities to Charlie Gaines's (under-recorded) solo in Elvira Johnson's "How Could I Be Blue?" (June 1926), yet it seems almost too coincidental that the great diminutive Charlie Irvis plays along with Margaret Carter's "Big Charlie" exhortation--he repeats some descending figures just before her shout.

                      Best regards,

                      John
                      Message 10 of 27 , Oct 14 3:30 AM
                        Hello John

                        Thanks. Several interesting points there. The notes to the 'Big Charlie'
                        have indeed Carter and Johnson as one and the same.

                        I have the N.O. Blue 5 'South Rampart' in my ears now and super work from
                        wonderful Tom Morris. But, respect him and you though I do, he is not on the
                        Rippers nor on any other of the sides on the 'Big Charlie' except those
                        alongside Jabbo --- yes I know, Jabbo. 'Big Charlie' has far more chops, is
                        faster, lighter and, above all, shows profound Louis influence which Tom
                        never did. Also no use of mutes. I dug into 'Big Charlie' a few years back
                        and convinced myself that most of the sides on the album are by one man. All
                        other known possibilities, including Gaines, I eventually excluded. Coming
                        back to the album after a time, I still find it mostly convincing -- except
                        the Jabbos.

                        The physical appearance of the man remembered by Eva Taylor sounds
                        strikingly close to Tom Morris, as does the name. My guess would be that
                        when played the side she, probably not being very interested nor having ears
                        to distinguish one cornet from another, misremembered Tom. But I would like
                        to think that whoever put the question -- where ? -- went on to exclude the
                        obvious, Morris. The 'Big Charlie' shout might yet again merely be a
                        fabrication to add 'colour'. Irvis is also supposedly on the Rippers but the
                        shout is at the end of a cornet solo and Charlie Irvis was very small. Maybe
                        an in-joke ?

                        But I have one very hypothetical and circumstantial candidate for Big
                        Charlie. At the time of the Rippers session, according to Rust, Irvis was in
                        the Ellington band along with a trumpeter, Charlie Johnson, who coincidently
                        replaced Harry Cooper. I agree that I here make the assumption that the band
                        on record was also the working band. Charlie Johnson also appears on
                        (rejected) record in London with Leon Abbey, also coincidentally alongside
                        Harry Cooper, in January 1928 so I assume left USA with Abbey sometime in
                        1927. Apparently he remained in Europe for he was imported from Paris for
                        Louis' UK touring band in 1933. He also appears on two Freddy Taylor Paris
                        sessions in 1935. His expatriation would account for the total disappearance
                        of 'Big Charlie' from the NYC studios from early 1927.

                        He also recorded with Buddy Featherstonhaugh's Cosmopolitans, London 1933.
                        The solo on 'I've Got The World On A String' is probably him for, although
                        it is a three trumpet section, the others are Brits. There is not much here
                        for comparison, especially as he plays in tight mute, but there is enough to
                        observe that he has a fluent style not anomalous with that of Big Charlie.

                        He also appears in Rust on two sides by Bill Brown And His Brownies NYC
                        March 1927. I conjecture the muted work on these sides as the other
                        trumpeter, listed as Billy Hicks, BUT at about 2.22 on 'Hot Lips',
                        especially take -1, there bursts out a bravura trumpeter who leads us out.
                        Nothing totally compatible with the supposed Big Charlies but near enough
                        for speculation. Which is all this is.

                        Too much to expect there are any biographical details at all with such a
                        common name. Also I assume that all these Charlie Johnsons are the same man.

                        All Best

                        Message 11 of 27 , Oct 14 8:08 AM
                          Charlie Johnson came to Europe with Leon Abbey in 1927, arriving at
                          Southampton on 14 December. According to the passenger list, he was 30. He
                          was not a member of Abbey¹s band on his previous trip to South America, from
                          which the band arrived back on 28 September.

                          He left Freddy Taylor in summer 1935 to go Bombay with Leon Abbey. At the
                          end of 1936 he was leading at the Villa d¹Este in Paris but reported laid up
                          with rheumatic ailments and when the band had to move to The Chantilly after
                          a fire in the Villa d¹Este on Christmas morning it was actually being led by
                          trumpeter Jimmie Bell.

                          His problem was obviously worse than rheumatic ailments and he died in the
                          American Hospital at Neuilly on 24 March 1937 in consequence of a kidney
                          operation.

                          He could obviously use a spot more research.

                          on 14/10/2009 11:30, David Brown at johnhaleysims@... wrote:

> [...]
                          > The solo on 'I've Got The World On A String' is probably him for, although
                          > it is a three trumpet section, the others are Brits. There is not much here
                          > for comparison, especially as he plays in tight mute, but there is enough to
                          > observe that he has a fluent style not anomalous with that of Big Charlie.
                          >
                          > He also appears in Rust on two sides by Bill Brown And His Brownies NYC
                          > March 1927. I conjecture the muted work on these sides as the other
                          > trumpeter, listed as Billy Hicks, BUT at about 2.22 on 'Hot Lips',
                          > especially take -1, there bursts out a bravura trumpeter who leads us out.
                          > Nothing totally compatible with the supposed Big Charlies but near enough
                          > for speculation. Which is all this is.
                          >
                          > Too much to expect there are any biographical details at all with such a
                          > common name. Also I assume that all these Charlie Johnsons are the same man.

                        • spacelights
                          Message 12 of 27 , Oct 14 9:24 PM
                            Hi Dave,

                            The "Big Charlie Thomas" agenda seems something of a red herring... the name itself speculative, a conflation of disparate elements. Attributions of Charlie Gaines and Thomas Morris on the Jazz Rippers (in Rust 3 and 4, respectively) imbue identifications of "Charlie Thomas" with a kind of winking caprice... In any case, the "Thomas" recalled by Eva as "a much older man than the rest of us" would seem to discount Gaines, Morris, and new candidate Johnson: from all evidence, younger than Eva and Clarence. I don't have the Timeless CD, would like to read the notes and listen in sequence (have heard most of the sides on other releases).

                            I don't necessarily agree that the Rippers cornetist has "far more chops" than Morris: the former seems rather more brash and round-toned, yet his results I find even more erratic than typical Morris (who displays creditable chops in various bags on the Williams Stompers, Wallers, Dixie Jazzers Washboard Bands and elsewhere). Morris is strangely workmanlike under his own leadership in 1926 (OKeh was reportedly more accomodating than Victor) and seems to cut loose and experiment more with others. I agree the Rippers man sounds more Armstrong-influenced--not unlike Gaines at that time--though it's perhaps worth noting that the N.O. Blue Five date includes "King of the Zulus".

                            Best wishes,

                            John

                            ps Have you heard the Elvira Johnson...?

                            Message 13 of 27 , Oct 15 2:04 AM
                              Many thanks Howard

                              I never cease to be amazed at what you can find. His sad early demise placed
                              him beyond reach of the early discographers /collectors and may add a pinch
                              more circumstantial evidence to his case as the unattributed 'Big Charlie'.

                              Many thanks John

                              Reading the JRT notes to the 'Big Charlie', I infer some self-subversion,
                              particularly in the excerpt I quoted recently. But I do believe that JRT
                              felt the work to be by one man. He, as a practising brass player, offers
                              technical analysis of Charlie's style and I believe that what he is
                              subverting is the name he has 'invented'. Howard's information would put
                              Johnson's birth as almost definitely 1897. But the fact that he was
                              described as being older has always grated on me because his style, heavily
                              Louis influenced, suggests, rather, a young Turk. The linkage of the man
                              described by Eva with that hailed by Carter as 'Big Charlie' is anyway, to
                              me, very tenuous. It assumes that Eva had the ears and memory to recognise
                              one cornettist on one session among so many that she made.

                              My use of 'chops' was not qualitative. I am not saying that Charlie was
                              better than Tom, just different. I agree with you, I observed recently the
                              apparent variance in Tom's style but I would put this down to material as
                              well as context.

                              BUT. AS EVER. We run into the problem of provenance of the personnels we are
                              working from. Rust mostly I mean. I have learned to work initially only from
                              cast iron examples. Only this week I falsely designated work to Gus Aiken
                              through relying on Rust. I do not have the Elvira, nor have I found it
                              available online, but my Rust has unk. cornet. There is cast iron Gaines on
                              the 1929 Waller Buddies. This is later than 'Big Charlie' and shows him to
                              be an E.Coast stylist with about no Louis influence. I would therefore be
                              surprised to hear that Gaines was playing in Louis style three years earlier
                              on the Elvira and would thus doubt the attribution. I observe that the sides
                              are smack in the middle of Big Charlie's time span although I assume that
                              JRT must have heard and discounted.

                              I think to hear the case for a 'Big Charlie' one has to hear the complete
                              album, or the sides on the album, in sequence. Context is extremely
                              important for comparative listening. I hear the same man -- mostly --
                              although realistically there is so little cornet on some sides and/or so
                              badly recorded that it is impossible to tell. But we are still left with the
                              sides which sound like, and were claimed by, Jabbo. This must seriously
                              undermine the case for Big Charlie but the playing is similar enough for it
                              to be put down as mistake rather than piss-take.

                              Message 14 of 27 , Oct 15 4:18 AM
                                This provoked me into digitizing my very old file on Leon Abbey¹s British
                                stays (that old) and I can add one more detail about Charlie Johnson.

                                Abbey was a notorious poacher of other people¹s bands and the band he
                                poached for his British trip was Bill Brown¹s Brownies, so we can be sure
                                that it is the same Charles Johnson on their 17 March 1927 Vocalion, but the
                                file card (which is reproduced in VJM 119) gives no personnel information.

                                The Abbey band¹s main British gig was at the Olympia Dance Hall, which had
                                three bandstands. The others were occupied by Herman Darewski¹s band and
                                Gwen Rogers¹ Musical Dolls. I still have no idea who the Musical Dolls were,
                                not that I¹ve tried very hard to find out, but they didn¹t take part in any
                                of the broadcasts made by the other two bands.

                                Message 15 of 27 , Oct 15 8:07 AM
                                  Thanks again Howard

                                  Rust has a full personnel for the Brownies March 1927 -- no probs, poss.s or
                                  ?s. Jazz Directory has total unks. So I wonder where it came from ? By
                                  backdating what Abbey arrived with ?

                                  Not only Johnson but also, at least, Ralph James and Oliver Tines from the
                                  Brownies, and I guess thus also Leon Abbey, stayed in Europe. Tines is with
                                  Louis in both UK 1933 and Paris 1934 and James with Wooding in 1931. Life
                                  must surely have been sweeter this side of the Atlantic, or in Paris at
                                  least.

                                  Fascinating collateral information there. Research proves the Gwen Roger's
                                  Musical Dolls to have been a female quartet featuring the Japanese one
                                  string phonofiddle who recorded in 1926. The link below will also introduce
                                  the 'last great virtuoso of the bladder-and-string'. Burnt cork virtuoso.

                                  <http://www.jonroseweb.com/f_projects_phonofiddle.html>

                                  Message 16 of 27 , Oct 15 11:49 AM
                                    Source is the New York Age of 28 January 1928 in a belated news item about
                                    Abbey taking the band (which astoundingly does tie up with the passenger
                                    list).

                                    Message 17 of 27 , Oct 16 2:13 AM
                                      Hello Yves

                                      I'll answer you on this thread. I 'm sure you never offend anybody and offer
                                      only stimulating topics for debate.

                                      It's in my head that Jabbo is almost cast iron on the 'Ham Gravy' session
                                      but I forget the source. Howard will know.

                                      It certainly is more bravura playing and more technically without flaw,
                                      although not flawless, than the other sides.

                                      On Harry Cooper, I find not only the Fouad and Rostaing but three sessions
                                      in Paris under his own name 1943 and 1947. Do you have these and/or know
                                      where they were ever available ?

                                      Message 18 of 27 , Oct 16 3:22 AM
                                        The 1943 sessions are split across Jazz Time 799877-2: Americans In Paris
                                        Vol. 5 1939-1949; Jazz Time 789327-2: Americans In Paris Vol. 6 1942-1950,
                                        Jazz Time 781336-2: Antillles Jazz 1930-1954. (These were probably marketed
                                        by EMI for about three weeks but the series does turn up from French on-line
                                        dealers.

                                        The 1947 titles were on Barclay 81.004/5: Le Jazz Parisien...liberé. Anyone
                                        know a CD?

                                        While we¹re here, I have a main title index to pre-war Jazz Hots and a
                                        detailed index to Jazz-Tango Swing. If Charlie Johnson was interviewed by
                                        contemporary French enthusiasts, I don¹t where the results were published.
                                        Any ideas, Yves? These guys mostly played in upper-class watering holes to
                                        which the young cognoscenti couldn¹t go and this probably accounts for the
                                        very scant attention they devoted to them. Johnson is mentioned once in
                                        Panassié¹s Douze Années de Jazz.

                                        Message 19 of 27 , Oct 16 3:38 AM
                                          Message 20 of 27 , Oct 16 3:48 AM
                                            To answer myself on 'Ham Gravy' and save Howard's energy.

                                            It never Rains but it --. Richard Rains, again, is the source in the notes
                                            of the Frog Tom Morris. He claims to have confirmed this personally with
                                            Jabbo.

                                            It would certainly be nice if he joined us.

                                            Message 21 of 27 , Oct 16 4:43 AM
                                              Yes, indeed. These are the 1943 sides. Can¹t recommend this double CD too
                                              strongly. Simply didn¹t think of it in this context.

> [...]

                                            • yves francois
                                              Message 22 of 27 , Oct 16 6:07 AM
                                                    RE: HARRY COOPER The Mengo Blue Stars have not been reissued on CD - also a Mengo Swing that has not been reissued is on youtube right now. I also have the 78 - if you are curious e mail me personally I will send MP3 of the two sides in rather better sound than the youtube site - it is some of the best Cooper on record - SWING #187 BLUES DU MATIN PA 1 & 2.    Let me know if anyone needs them for their collection - they happen to be amongst my favorite records in the 40's (and I also highly recommend the 2 CD set "SWING CARIBE" - all 8 Cooper Swing's are on them, plus 2 others with him and Big Boy Goudie from 1946 or so)
                                                Yves Francois Smierciak