Re: [RedHotJazz] Introduction and Inquery

  • David W. Littlefield
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 1, 2009
      Hi Yehoshua. Welcome to Red Hot Jazz email list.

      2 aspects:
      1. To learn the style, listen to recordings on http://redhotjazz.com
      2. If you have good ears you can learn the tunes--melodies and
      chords--as you learn the style.
      3. If you need the use music to learn tunes, I created two fake books--
      "Dixieland Fake Book Vols. 1 & 2"

      My website is
      http://americanmusiccaravan.com
      click on Books.

      I attached my essay on dixieland rhythm, and my list of basic tunes,
      both of which are in Vol. 1.

      Shalom.
      --Dave "Sheik" Littlefield

      At 04:48 AM 10/1/2009, you wrote:
      >Hello all. My name is Yehoshua, I live in Israel, and it's a
      >pleasure to be part of this wonderful group. I'm a beginner in Red
      >Hot Jazz, thanks mostly to the music of Leon Redbone. I've got a few
      >questions and I'd be gratful to anybody who can help me:
      >
      >1) Are there any podcasts or downloadable radio shows that deal with
      >this topic, presenting it and explaining it, its history and
      >developement, masters, etc.?
      >
      >2) As a guitar player, how can I learn to play in the hot jazz
      >style? Any recommended books? I'm talking more specifically about
      >rhythm guitar. And what sort of gear might be recommended to capture
      >the early Jazz sound?
      >
      >Hope my questions are not out of place or issues that hae already
      >been explored and exhausted in previous posts.
      >
      >Thanks!

    • Yehoshua
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 3, 2009
        Hey David and Charles,
        Thanks a lot for the advice and info! I will be looking into these shortly.

        Shalom veChag Sameach,
        Yehoshua