Introduction and Inquery

  • Yehoshua
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 1, 2009
      Hello all. My name is Yehoshua, I live in Israel, and it's a pleasure to be part of this wonderful group. I'm a beginner in Red Hot Jazz, thanks mostly to the music of Leon Redbone. I've got a few questions and I'd be gratful to anybody who can help me:

      1) Are there any podcasts or downloadable radio shows that deal with this topic, presenting it and explaining it, its history and developement, masters, etc.?

      2) As a guitar player, how can I learn to play in the hot jazz style? Any recommended books? I'm talking more specifically about rhythm guitar. And what sort of gear might be recommended to capture the early Jazz sound?

      Hope my questions are not out of place or issues that hae already been explored and exhausted in previous posts.

      Thanks!
    • Charles Bihun
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 1, 2009
        Yehoshua,

        A couple of method books that might help:

        "Classic Jazz Guitar Styles," Tom Dempsey, Alfred Publishing
        "All Blues for Jazz Guitar," Jim Ferguson, Mel Bay Publishing

        Early jazz guitars were unamplified.  At first flat tops were common, but eventually arch tops moved them out; there is a noticeable contrast between the sound of the two.  Also early jazz found tenor guitars being used; this was mainly so tenor banjo players could join the move to guitar without having to learn new fingering.

        Eventually amplification was added, but the arch top remained the standard for classic jazz.

        ChuckB

        ________________________________
        Hello all. My name is Yehoshua, I live in Israel, and it's a pleasure to be part of this wonderful group. I'm a beginner in Red Hot Jazz, thanks mostly to the music of Leon Redbone. I've got a few questions and I'd be gratful to anybody who can help me:

        1) Are there any podcasts or downloadable radio shows that deal with this topic, presenting it and explaining it, its history and developement, masters, etc.?

        2) As a guitar player, how can I learn to play in the hot jazz style? Any recommended books? I'm talking more specifically about rhythm guitar. And what sort of gear might be recommended to capture the early Jazz sound?

        Hope my questions are not out of place or issues that hae already been explored and exhausted in previous posts.

        Thanks!

      • David W. Littlefield
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 1, 2009
          Hi Yehoshua. Welcome to Red Hot Jazz email list.

          2 aspects:
          1. To learn the style, listen to recordings on http://redhotjazz.com
          2. If you have good ears you can learn the tunes--melodies and
          chords--as you learn the style.
          3. If you need the use music to learn tunes, I created two fake books--
          "Dixieland Fake Book Vols. 1 & 2"

          My website is
          http://americanmusiccaravan.com
          click on Books.

          I attached my essay on dixieland rhythm, and my list of basic tunes,
          both of which are in Vol. 1.

          Shalom.
          --Dave "Sheik" Littlefield

          At 04:48 AM 10/1/2009, you wrote:
          >Hello all. My name is Yehoshua, I live in Israel, and it's a
          >pleasure to be part of this wonderful group. I'm a beginner in Red
          >Hot Jazz, thanks mostly to the music of Leon Redbone. I've got a few
          >questions and I'd be gratful to anybody who can help me:
          >
          >1) Are there any podcasts or downloadable radio shows that deal with
          >this topic, presenting it and explaining it, its history and
          >developement, masters, etc.?
          >
          >2) As a guitar player, how can I learn to play in the hot jazz
          >style? Any recommended books? I'm talking more specifically about
          >rhythm guitar. And what sort of gear might be recommended to capture
          >the early Jazz sound?
          >
          >Hope my questions are not out of place or issues that hae already
          >been explored and exhausted in previous posts.
          >
          >Thanks!

        • Yehoshua
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 3, 2009
            Hey David and Charles,
            Thanks a lot for the advice and info! I will be looking into these shortly.

            Shalom veChag Sameach,
            Yehoshua