"Swanee Butterfly" .mp3s wanted

  • David W. Littlefield
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 26, 2009
      Hi gang. I'd like to get .mp3 files of the 1925 Walter Donaldson tune
      "Swanee butterfly". Fletcher Henderson and Isham Jones recorded it.

      I've been listening to a Marty Grosz group's version, featuring
      trombonist Dan Barrett.
      Someone sent me the original sheet music.

      Thanks.
      --Sheik
    • Mordechai Litzman
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 26, 2009
        In addition to Henderson and Jones, Warings Pennsylvanians recorded this tune in 1925 as well.There are 3 Henderson takes - see below.

        Fletcher Henderson and His Orchestra
        February 2, 1925, New York, NY
        Alabamy Bound (DeSylva, B.; Green, B.; Henderson, R.) [master 5835-2] -- Domino 3458
        Alabamy Bound (DeSylva, B.; Green, B.; Henderson, R.) [master 5835-3] -- Regal 9789
        Alabamy Bound (DeSylva, B.; Green, B.; Henderson, R.) [master 5835-4] -- Regal 9789
        Swanee Butterfly (Donaldson; Rose) [master 5836-1] -- Apex 8317
        Swanee Butterfly (Donaldson; Rose) [master 5836-2] -- Regal 9803
        Swanee Butterfly (Donaldson; Rose) [master 5836-3] -- Regal 9803
        Henderson, Fletcher (Piano, Director)
        Chambers, Elmer (Trumpet)
        Scott, Howard (Trumpet)
        Armstrong, Louis (Cornet [Trumpet?])
        Green, Charlie (Trombone)
        Bailey, Buster (Reeds)
        Redman, Don (Reeds)
        Hawkins, Coleman (Reeds)
        Dixon, Charlie (Banjo)
        Escudero, Ralph (Tuba)
        Marshall, Kaiser (Drums)
        There is little aural evidence to suggest that Armstrong plays
        on the three takes of SWANEE BUTTERFLY. It is left out of most
        discographies. Discographer Hans Westerberg places the date of
        this session between February 2 and 6.

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 28, 2009
          Here are three more:

          California Ramblers, Col 293D
          Lou Gold, Cameo 696
          Marion McKay, Gen 3033

          Where can I send a CD of the dubs? (I don't do mp3s.)
          --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "David W. Littlefield" <dwlit@...> wrote:

          > Hi gang. I'd like to get .mp3 files of the 1925 Walter Donaldson tune
          > "Swanee butterfly". Fletcher Henderson and Isham Jones recorded it.
          >
          > I've been listening to a Marty Grosz group's version, featuring
          > trombonist Dan Barrett.
          > Someone sent me the original sheet music.
          >
          > Thanks.
          > --Sheik

        • hans.eekhoff
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 6, 2009
            There is also a version of "Swanee Butterfly" by the Trocadero Melody Boys on Sunset 1060. Are you interested in that version?
            Hans Eekhoff

            --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "David W. Littlefield" <dwlit@...> wrote:

            > Hi gang. I'd like to get .mp3 files of the 1925 Walter Donaldson tune
            > "Swanee butterfly". Fletcher Henderson and Isham Jones recorded it.
            >
            > I've been listening to a Marty Grosz group's version, featuring
            > trombonist Dan Barrett.
            > Someone sent me the original sheet music.
            >
            > Thanks.
            > --Sheik

          • David W. Littlefield
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 6, 2009
              Hi Hans. Yes! .mp3 would be fine for my purposes.

              This is a lovely tune. I'm surprised that I haven't found it on any
              of the many reissues in my collection. I buy most of the 20s-early
              30s dance band reissues as I become aware of them.

              FYI I have used my CD collection extensively to find tunes for my
              music books, and help me make the lead sheets in them.

              Thank you

              --Sheik
              Dave Littlefield, banjo, piano, guitar, washboard
              http://americanmusiccaravan.com

              At 01:47 PM 10/6/2009, you wrote:
              >There is also a version of "Swanee Butterfly" by the Trocadero
              >Melody Boys on Sunset 1060. Are you interested in that version?
              >Hans Eekhoff
              >
              >--- In
              ><mailto:RedHotJazz%40yahoogroups.com>RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com,
              >"David W. Littlefield" <dwlit@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > Hi gang. I'd like to get .mp3 files of the 1925 Walter Donaldson tune
              > > "Swanee butterfly". Fletcher Henderson and Isham Jones recorded it.
              > >
              > > I've been listening to a Marty Grosz group's version, featuring
              > > trombonist Dan Barrett.
              > > Someone sent me the original sheet music.
              > >
              > > Thanks.
              > > --Sheik

            • hans.eekhoff
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 7, 2009