Re: [RedHotJazz] Looking for songs with 2+ clarinet lead

  • Mordechai Litzman
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 20, 2009
      Junie Cobb's Hometown Band: East Coast Trot and Chicago Buzz with Junie Cob and Johnny Dodds cl.

      The recording below is patterned on the above recordings: Oriental Man by the Peruna Jazz Band 1984 (Denmark).
      Amazing.

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwu-Qm0NG7g&feature=PlayList&p=F807F7ED7A4FF050&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=56

    • hans.eekhoff
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 21, 2009
        A superb side with two clarinets in (part of) the lead is "San" by Abe Lyman's Sharps and Flats, recorded in Chicago in May 1928.
        The tune lends itself very well for a clarinet lead part.
        Hans Eekhoff

        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 21, 2009
          Clarence Williams recordings have frequent clarinet duos/trios. There's an example with two clarinets as the only horns: Gravier Street Blues/Candy Lips.

          While the soprano sax is not quite a clarinet, there are many duets between Sidney Bechet and Mezz Mezzrow (including a few, or is it only one or two) where Bechet switches to clarinet, made originally for Mezzrow's King Jazz label. Bechet also recorded in tandem with Albert Nicholas (forBlue Note) and Bob Wilber (a pupil of Bechet's).

          I'm in Finland at the moment, so away from all of my information resources and having to write from memory.

          Neu: WEB.DE Doppel-FLAT mit Internet-Flatrate + Telefon-Flatrate
          für nur 19,99 Euro/mtl.!* http://produkte.web.de/go/02/
        • Mordechai Litzman
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 21, 2009
            Was unable to find this tune on the Red Hot Jazz Archive but found it here:

            http://www.archive.org/details/SanByAbeLymansSharpsAndFlats1928

            I could only hear a trumpet -clarinet duet - could you tell me where the two clarinets are playing?

            ________________________________
            A superb side with two clarinets in (part of) the lead is "San" by Abe Lyman's Sharps and Flats, recorded in Chicago in May 1928.
            The tune lends itself very well for a clarinet lead part.
            Hans Eekhoff

            --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogro ups.com, "bootsy_rir" <rlund@...> wrote:

            > Hi,
            > I mentioned once before that I found opportunity to finally play Jazz again, and this has happened a few times by now during a monthly New Orleans Jazz Jam Session. Lately, another clarinettist joined in, too, so we had three clarinets, and we have played The Creole Love Call (Duke Ellington) quite a few times now, one of my favorites.
            > Now I'm wondering what other songs might be out there that I don't know yet where two or three clarinets play the lead.
            > Most of you seem to know literally thousands of recordings well enough to distinguish between near unknown clarinettists, so I'm hoping someone might have some suggestions for me.
            > Thanks in advance!

          • hans.eekhoff
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 22, 2009
              I wrote my comment on a laptop in the French Bordeaux region - I did not have the side handy but quoted from memory.
              But I have now been able to play it and, in spite of Mr. Litzman's comment, I was right.
              I wrote: "(part of) the lead".
              The lead of the first 24 bars of the side (the entire verse) is played by 2 unisono clarinets. Funny that you can't hear that - it's quite clear....
              Hans Eekhoff

              --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, Mordechai Litzman <folke613@...> wrote:

              > Was unable to find this tune on the Red Hot Jazz Archive but found it here:
              >
              > http://www.archive.org/details/SanByAbeLymansSharpsAndFlats1928
              >
              > I could only hear a trumpet -clarinet duet - could you tell me where the two clarinets are playing?
              >

              > ________________________________

            • Mordechai Litzman
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 22, 2009
                Thanks, played it again and now understand what you mean.

                ________________________________
                I wrote my comment on a laptop in the French Bordeaux region - I did not have the side handy but quoted from memory.
                But I have now been able to play it and, in spite of Mr. Litzman's comment, I was right.
                I wrote: "(part of) the lead".
                The lead of the first 24 bars of the side (the entire verse) is played by 2 unisono clarinets. Funny that you can't hear that - it's quite clear....
                Hans Eekhoff

                --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogro ups.com, Mordechai Litzman <folke613@.. .> wrote:

                > Was unable to find this tune on the Red Hot Jazz Archive but found it here:
                >
                > http://www.archive org/details/ SanByAbeLymansSh arpsAndFlats1928
                >
                > I could only hear a trumpet -clarinet duet - could you tell me where the two clarinets are playing?

              • bootsy_rir
                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 23, 2009
                  Thanks for all the answers!
                  I'll take a look and see if I can find the recordings you listed, and hopefully I'll be able to use some in the next few months.
                  Thanks again!