Re: [RedHotJazz] Oh no, not Flo again

    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 15, 2009
      I dare say this is partly to my address so I may as well address it.

      I corresponded with Ernest Virgo over many years, though there was a lot
      more correspondence on his side than mine owing to his determination to have
      his theories and unsupported assumptions accepted as facts and incorporated
      in Blues & Gospel Records. He was sincere and serious but his methodology
      was fatally flawed. I dare say he was right more often than I was prepared
      to allow, but precisely the problem with people whose methods are so
      completely unscholarly is that no one who doesn't accept arguments "ad
      hominem" can ever tell.

      Many of the connections he pointed out to me which others had not heard they
      had not heard because they were not there.

      Yes, Michael, we are talking about the determination of so-called facts by
      committee, generally unsupported by anything than might usefully be called
      research. Don't get me wrong, these methods have a major part to play in
      suggesting lines of inquiry, and Chris Hillman for one has used these
      methods as the basis for serious work which has uncovered a great many
      genuine connections, but if even a fraction of the effort that has been put
      into these exercises had been put into real research we would know a lot
      more about who really did what.

      And yes this is a hobby horse of mine!

      Yes, Michae;l, it means that a group of people