James P. Johnson Rent Party in NYC

  • coneyislandtodd
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 13, 2009
      James P. Johnson, the father of stride piano, the composer of "The Charleston" and "Carolina Shout," and one of the founders of modern jazz piano lies, shockingly, in an unmarked grave in Maspeth, Queens, Mt. Olivet Cemetery. Please join the James P. Johnson Foundation, a non-for-profit organization dedicated to music education and to raise the awareness of James P. Johnson, the Johnson family and Smalls Jazz Club for an all day "rent party" to raise money to buy a monument to commemorate this great musician! Join us on Sunday, October 4th beginning at 1:00 PM at Smalls Jazz Club located at 183 West 10th Street at 7th Ave. The afternoon will begin with a symposium by musicologist and Johnson scholar Scott Brown on the life and work of James P. Johnson. This will include an exhibit from The James P. Johnson archive housed at The Rutgers Institute for Jazz Studies. Around 3:00 will then be a steady stream of pianists to play solo piano in tribute to James P. Johnson. Artists to appear include: Dick Hyman, Ethan Iverson, Ted Rosenthal, Terry Waldo, Mike Lipskin, Conal Fowlkes, Spike Wilner, Aaron Diehl and others to be announced. Suggested tax-free donations are $20 with all the proceeds to go to the James P. Johnson Foundation. You may come and go as you please throughout the afternoon. Refreshments will be served. Please come by and pay your respects to The Dean of Stride Pianists! For more information: info@..., www.jamespjohnson.org.
    • Gilber M. Erskine
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 14, 2009
        Thanks much for your post and the news that James P. Johnson does not have a gravestone. I certainly will be contirubuting.

        On high school vacation in August 1944, I made the trip from Louisville, KY to visit relatinves in NYC. I was already a rabid big band swing fan, and an uncle and his friends took me around to hear better stuff. On fantiastic night we went to a club in Greenwich Village, near Nick's, to hear Max Kaminsky's combo. James P. was the intermission pianist. This was wartime NYC and the place was crowded with people shipping out, or returning from overseas, and the conversation noise got pretty bad. James. P. was visibly annoyed, but he still played great.

        I especially treasure and frequently play two James P. items: (1) Everybody Loves My Baby, HRS 1002, August 31, 1938, James P. with Zutty Singleton and Pee Wee Russell, with astonishing rapport between James P. and Pee Wee. (2) Have You Ever Felt That Way?, Black & White, BW36, September 1, 1944, Sterling Bose, trumpet; Rod Cless, clarinet; Pops Foster, bass; and James P. What a terrific interpretation of this old Chicago tune, absolutely marvelous.

        ---------GILBERT M. ERSKINE