Re: [RedHotJazz] Frog Spawn - a first opinion

  • Nick Dellow
    Message 1 of 16 , Sep 13 8:02 AM
      Howard, I don't think you are going potty; I also hear "ain't" rather than
      "weren't".

      Incidentally, the timbre of the sax heard under Punch's solo and vocal in
      "Golden Lily Blues" sounds like that of a soprano, at least to my ears (even
      though the notes played are well within the range of the alto sax);
      however, the instrument featured after Cohn's piano solo is an alto sax! The
      soprano sax is heard again towards the end of the side, as is a clarinet,
      and by my reckoning the last two-bar riff is played in unison by cornet,
      clarinet and soprano sax (with brass bass and cymbal adding the punctuation
      marks!)

      Presumably, the clarinet is played by Fred Howard, as suggested by Rust in
      the 4th (and earlier?) edition of Jazz Records, though oddly omitted in
      later editions!

      Nick

      Message 2 of 16 , Sep 13 8:31 AM
        You're right about this, although the Frog comes from Perect 14341 - my memory is no longer as good as it was and I was writing from what is left of it.

        The notes also give Champion 400038 for the Paul Davis, but maybe the issue on Frog will bring an an owner of the other side into the open.

        The Charles Matsons are apparently foreseen for the second batch of Spawn and not for the Bernie Young - my guess was due to a "prototype" CD of a Bernie Young kindly sent by a collector friend of David French's.

        The Oliver Olga was recently reissued on Jazz Oracle's "Gift from the President" tribute to John RT Davies.

        I also forgot to mention that Nick had previously been active as a sleeve not writer for Retrieval.

        As I said, a first opinion...

        Michael Rader

        Message 3 of 16 , Sep 13 9:41 AM
          Thank you for that reassurance, Nick. Sometimes comparing takes can make you
          doubt your sanity.

          According to Index to Jazz the Franko personnel was supplied by Eugene
          Williams, which doesn¹t really tell us the source, and he named Omer Simeon
          as the clarinettist and Fred Howard on tenor sax. Later the presence of an
          alto sax was noticed and Rust 3 has only one reed player (Howard, clarinet
          and alto sax). The alto sax was evidently identified as Leon Washington by
          the man himself in Record Research 99. I don¹t seem to have this but my
          notes from it at least imply that he confirmed the rest of the personnel as
          now quoted. It would be good to check though.

          on 13/09/2009 16:02, Nick Dellow at nick.dellow@... wrote:

> [...]
          >> > Blues on which the first line of the vocal is ³Well, standing on Garfield,
          >> > mama, near blue El² rather than ³Well, standing on Garfield, mama, near the
          >> > El² is issued here for the first time. I already have two takes and the
          >> > ³blue El² version is on Herwin H108 from the Klatzko/Whelan Collection. On
          >> > the other hand I can¹t hear on any version the other difference noted by
          >> > Richard Rains in the DGF71 notes, ³weren¹t that some good news² rather than
          >> > ³ain¹t that some good news².
          >> > Am I going potty or is something more complicated occurring here. Nick?
          >> >
          >> > on 11/09/2009 14:38, Michael Rader at Rader.Michael@...
          >> > on
          >> > accordion,
          >> > sides
          Sweet
          >> > New
          >>> > >

          >> > Howard Rye, 20 Coppermill Lane, London, England, E17 7HB

        • yves francois
          Message 4 of 16 , Nov 19, 2009
            Hello, Nick, Michael and all else concerned about Paul Davis CHAMPION 40038     I just purchased Frog Spawn, and will have more  to say in the next day or so, but in the meantime, I see mention in the liner notes about Paul Davis. I agree with the liner notes that it sounds like a black band (the names were usually pseudonymous probably to save money, or have an "anglo" name to sell the record better). The name "Paul Davis" was used on a variety of records on the Champion label - much as certain names were used on ARC etc. I have an interesting theory here regarding this recording (matrix# 18910, you will see why I am taking about matrix # here in a second), when I look for what band a pseudonymous (this is probably just that considering Champion's track record with that name) issue on a record, I look at the matrix numbers, and then play the record you have next to it (easier said than done here!). Well I do not have Champion matrix # 18911, but
            look what it is ...
            Jimmy Raschel and His orchestrano dertails except Jimmy Raschel, Estelle Galloway vocalRichmond Indiana November 28 193218911 It Don't Mean A Thing (If It Ain't Got That Swing) (eg vcl) CHAMPION 1653418912 Nobody's sweetheart (jr vcl) (unissued)
            It is too bad this record is phenomenally rare, it would be instructive to compare it. Think about it - 2 matrix numbers recorded (or mastered) within 3 days of each other, a known black band in Jimmy Raschel (Raschel's bands - territory band Detroit - included such alumni as George Johnson, Henry Savage, Milt Buckner, Bernie Peacock and Howard McGhee over a 17 year period of time), and one that sounds pretty much like a black territory band of that part of the country in the early 1930's - makes one wonder - any one who does own Champion 16534 please check on this (while we are at it were there any references to Raschel by the Argentine guitarist bandleader Ahmed Ratip - who was in detroit in the early middle 1930's?) - too bad I don't have that one, or else I would have. more soon and all the bestYves Francois
            PS Nick wonderful work on the remastering on this CD - I have to admit the "Jackson's Southern Stompers" Marathon 227 never sounded better - but that is another story I will continue tomorrow from last week (and surprised no one was interested in the gentleman's response - esp 1933 broadcasts of the Johnson band!!)

            Message 5 of 16 , Nov 20, 2009
              Yves, thank you for your kind words, which are very much appreciated. I also
              do not possess matrix #18911, more's the pity. It would be good to work out
              who this particular "Paul Davis" was!

              2009/11/20 yves francois <aprestitine@...>

> [...]
              >
              > > > Moon)? I
              >
              > > > assume Frog only have access to the reissue on Champion 40038 or they
              >
              > > > would
              >
              > > > have issued the original reverse. As nothing whatever is known about
              >
              > > > this
              >
              > > > band any notion about them is merely a vagrant assumption. On Gennett
              >
              > > > labels
              >
              > > > issue numbers provide no clue to the intended market, not that that is
              >
              > > > conclusive anyway.
              >

              > > Nick might be able to answer this, depending what Frog gave him to work
              > on.
              >
              > > The previous reissue on Harrison B gives Champion 16524 as its source,
              > but
              >
              > > refrains from including the other side, for whatever reason. 78 Quarterly
              >
              > > (under?) estimates 3 known copies, so someone must know the side.

            • Bob Eagle
              Message 6 of 16 , Nov 20, 2009
                FWIW, Jimmy Raschel's given name was James E. Rachels (sic), the son of a physician. His brother, Arthur W. Rachels, 2 years Jimmy's junior, was also a musician. Rachels is the consistent spelling in official records.

                Jimmy was born at Mexico, Audrain County, Missouri in 1910, but the family had moved to Danville, Vermilion County, Illinois by 1916 and were still there in 1930. Raschel was later active in Detroit.

                Bob

> [...]
                > >
                > > And Michael is also correct in his belief that there
                > is another take of the
                > >
                > > Dixie Stompers' "Jackass Blues" which has still not
                > made it onto CD.
                > >
                > > Nick

                > questions.
                > >

                > > > I can only adress one:

                > (Underneath The Harlem

                > on Champion 40038 or they

                > whatever is known about

                > vagrant assumption. On Gennett

                > intended market, not that that is

                > > > Nick might be able to answer this, depending what
                > Frog gave him to work
                > > on.
                > >
                > > > The previous reissue on Harrison B gives Champion
                > 16524 as its source,
                > > but
                > >
                > > > refrains from including the other side, for
                > whatever reason. 78 Quarterly
                > >
                > > > (under?) estimates 3 known copies, so someone

                Win 1 of 4 Sony home entertainment packs thanks to Yahoo!7.
                Enter now: http://au.docs.yahoo.com/homepageset/
                Message 7 of 16 , Feb 24, 2010
                  I have now got hold of the Gennett ledger sheet relating to this session.

                  It offers no support for the seductive notion that this may be the Jimmy
                  Raschel band under pseudonym. The Raschel masters are clearly marked ³Race²,
                  the Davis masters are not. This is not absolutely conclusive because this is
                  a marketing assignment not a cultural one. 99% of the time this will
                  coincide but it is not a necessary relationship.

                  What is apparently conclusive is the arrival of the first volume of Richard
                  J. Johnson & Bernard Shirley¹s ³American Dance Bands on Records and Film
                  1915-1942² (Fairplay, CO, Rustbooks, 2010). This reveals what no one has
                  apparently ever bothered to mention before. This was Davis¹s first session
                  and is the only one in Jazz Records. The band actually made thirteen more
                  sessions for Gennett up to 29 July 1933, producing twenty-eight more issued
                  titles. Nineteen of these were issued in a special series for use at skating
                  rinks. Most of these are waltzes, so are many of the others though there is
                  a version of Shuffle Off To Buffalo on Champion 16591.

                  Not only that, but Johnson and Shirley have a personnel for the band from
                  December 1931, which is nearly a year before Black & Tan.

                  I think we have to accept that this is an amazingly idiomatic reading of an
                  arrangement by a white territory band which usually spent its time in other
                  areas of music entirely.

                  Incidentally there is no doubt that the Jimmy Raschel band were
                  African-Americans. These are not pseudonymous Davis items. I have several
                  personnels of Raschel¹s band and they include known names like the great
                  Chicago drummer Hillard Brown.

                  It is not inconceivable that Davis might have hired the Raschel band to
                  produce idimomatic versions of this material and issued it under the name of
                  his own band, but there is no supporting evidence for this theory and what
                  evidence there is is against it. To completely rule out skullduggery on
                  somebody¹s part, we need to hear Davis¹s ŒUnderneath The Harlem Moon¹.
                  Anyone seen it around?

                  Message 8 of 16 , Feb 24, 2010
                    Sorry, Yves.

                    Reviewing this I realize you did mention there were other sides on Champion
                    by Paul Davis & His Orchestra, though they are not in the original edition
                    of the American Dance Band Discography.

                    So the crucial piece of new information here is that this was a real
                    bandleader and a real band, but I agree that it would not be the only
                    instance of a bandleader¹s nme being borrowed for records with which he had
                    only a nominal connection. I only know of this happening on New York labels.
                    Do we know of any instances of it happening on Gennett?

                    It¹s going off the point but at this time Jimmy Raschel¹s band was not out
                    of Detroit, but out of Cincinnati, though some members including Raschel
                    himself apparently belonged to the white AFM local at Benton Harbor,
                    Michigan, which is weird beyond weird! As I have noted the Local number
                    consistenty over several occurrences I doubt it¹s a typo but it would
                    possibly bear re-checking. According to Albert McCarthy (quoting saxophonist
                    George Johnson) the band was originally based at Danvillie, Illinois. My
                    reference to Hillard Brown should be ignored. This is a misreading of
                    Willard Brown who was a saxophonist. Didn¹t do too well with this one!

                    on 24/02/2010 11:18, Howard Rye at howard@... wrote:

> [...]
                    >> > was interested in the gentleman's response - esp 1933 broadcasts of the
                    >> > Johnson band!!)
                    >> >
                    >> > --- On Fri, 9/11/09, Nick Dellow <nick.dellow@...
                    >> <mailto:nick.dellow%40gmail.com>
                    >> > <mailto:nick.dellow%40gmail.com> > wrote:
                    >> >
                    >> > From: Nick Dellow <nick.dellow@... <mailto:nick.dellow%40gmail.com>
                    >> <mailto:nick.dellow%40gmail.com> >
                    >> > Subject: Re: [RedHotJazz] Frog Spawn - a first opinion
                    >> > To: RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com <mailto:RedHotJazz%40yahoogroups.com>
                    >> <mailto:RedHotJazz%40yahoogroups.com>
                    >> > Date: Friday, September 11, 2009, 1:57 PM
                    >> >

                    >> > Firstly, many thanks to Michael for his in-depth review. As Howard
                    >> correctly
                    >> >
                    >> > surmised, the Paul Davis transfer was taken from Champion 40038.
                    >> >
                    >> > And Michael is also correct in his belief that there is another take of the
                    >> >
                    >> > Dixie Stompers' "Jackass Blues" which has still not made it onto CD.

                  • Bob Eagle
                    Message 9 of 16 , Feb 24, 2010
                      I have a sense of deja vu about this, so my apologies if it has been posted in the past.

                      Raschel's real name was Rachels.  He seems to have been born in 1910 in Mexico, Missouri, but by 1918 the family was at Danville, Illinois, and they were still there in 1930.  Jimmy's brother, Arthur W. Rachels, was also a musician.  Their father was a physician and surgeon.  And the family was shown as Mu (mulatto) in 1910, B (black) in 1920 and Neg (Negro) in 1930 - despite the mother being Ivory!

                      Bob