Re: [RedHotJazz] Frog Spawn - a first opinion

  • Nick Dellow
    Message 1 of 16 , Sep 11, 2009
      Firstly, many thanks to Michael for his in-depth review. As Howard correctly
      surmised, the Paul Davis transfer was taken from Champion 40038.

      And Michael is also correct in his belief that there is another take of the
      Dixie Stompers' "Jackass Blues" which has still not made it onto CD.

      Nick

      Message 2 of 16 , Sep 11, 2009
        Gerard,

        Although I must admit to being puzzled by a track called "Solilognoy" (at a guess a typo for Rube Bloom's "Soliloquy") listed both on the Challenge website and elsewhere, I have the impression that most, if not all, of the contents of the CD have been previously issued on quality CDs (early JSP, Timeless, Jazz Oracle, Frog and HEP). From this point of view, it doesn't strike me as a particular sensible reissue. But it is sure to be entertaining listening and might have informative notes by Digby Fairweather and it depends whether such a package is worth a little more than ten bucks to you (Amazon.com price). Harry Coster is usually a sign of quality, but probably not better than John RT Davies.

        Michael

        > Michael:
        > Speaking of new releases,
        > would you--or any of the other list members--know if the songs on the
        > newly released Retrieval CD, "The Jazz Modernists," are the same as
        > those already widely available on other CDs? Even if they are,
        > perhaps Harry Coster has improved their sound.
        >
        > Gerard J. Fitzpatrick

        Neu: WEB.DE Doppel-FLAT mit Internet-Flatrate + Telefon-Flatrate
        für nur 19,99 Euro/mtl.!* http://produkte.web.de/go/02/
        Message 3 of 16 , Sep 13, 2009
          Okay, I know the provence of the modern belief that Arthur Ray is playing an
          accordion. But does anyone know of any other record in or out of jazz on
          which an accordion sounds like this?

          These records have been known to collectors since forever and the instrument
          has always been listed as an organ. Perhaps this could just possibly be
          because the labels of Vocalion 14913 state quite unambiguously ³organ and
          cornet².

          I can¹t help thinking this is a solution in search of a problem.

          Just out of interest, are these the earliest jazz records that were not
          primarily marketed for dancing? For they surely cannot have been aimed at
          home dancers, can they? They are music intended for listening.

          I mean to try and describe the differences between the versions if I don¹t
          go completely mad first, but the notes to DGF71 claim the Pathé version not
          the Vocalion, and I think we have previously established that the Vocalion
          version is on EPM (tracks 1 & 2).

          By the by, I don¹t think Frog are right that the version of Golden Lily
          Blues on which the first line of the vocal is ³Well, standing on Garfield,
          mama, near blue El² rather than ³Well, standing on Garfield, mama, near the
          El² is issued here for the first time. I already have two takes and the
          ³blue El² version is on Herwin H108 from the Klatzko/Whelan Collection. On
          the other hand I can¹t hear on any version the other difference noted by
          Richard Rains in the DGF71 notes, ³weren¹t that some good news² rather than
          ³ain¹t that some good news².
          Am I going potty or is something more complicated occurring here. Nick?

          on 11/09/2009 14:38, Michael Rader at Rader.Michael@... wrote:
          > The Texas Blues Destroyers, comprising only Bubber Miley and Arthur Ray on
          > what was thought to be a "reed organ", but now suspected to be an accordion,
          > have been discussed recently on the Red Hot Jazz mailing list. The two sides
          > included here are the Vocalion version missing from the EPM Hot and Sweet New
          > York Horns compilation, although that is probably now hard to get.

        • Nick Dellow
          Message 4 of 16 , Sep 13, 2009
            Howard, I don't think you are going potty; I also hear "ain't" rather than
            "weren't".

            Incidentally, the timbre of the sax heard under Punch's solo and vocal in
            "Golden Lily Blues" sounds like that of a soprano, at least to my ears (even
            though the notes played are well within the range of the alto sax);
            however, the instrument featured after Cohn's piano solo is an alto sax! The
            soprano sax is heard again towards the end of the side, as is a clarinet,
            and by my reckoning the last two-bar riff is played in unison by cornet,
            clarinet and soprano sax (with brass bass and cymbal adding the punctuation
            marks!)

            Presumably, the clarinet is played by Fred Howard, as suggested by Rust in
            the 4th (and earlier?) edition of Jazz Records, though oddly omitted in
            later editions!

            Nick

            Message 5 of 16 , Sep 13, 2009
              You're right about this, although the Frog comes from Perect 14341 - my memory is no longer as good as it was and I was writing from what is left of it.

              The notes also give Champion 400038 for the Paul Davis, but maybe the issue on Frog will bring an an owner of the other side into the open.

              The Charles Matsons are apparently foreseen for the second batch of Spawn and not for the Bernie Young - my guess was due to a "prototype" CD of a Bernie Young kindly sent by a collector friend of David French's.

              The Oliver Olga was recently reissued on Jazz Oracle's "Gift from the President" tribute to John RT Davies.

              I also forgot to mention that Nick had previously been active as a sleeve not writer for Retrieval.

              As I said, a first opinion...

              Michael Rader

              Message 6 of 16 , Sep 13, 2009
                Thank you for that reassurance, Nick. Sometimes comparing takes can make you
                doubt your sanity.

                According to Index to Jazz the Franko personnel was supplied by Eugene
                Williams, which doesn¹t really tell us the source, and he named Omer Simeon
                as the clarinettist and Fred Howard on tenor sax. Later the presence of an
                alto sax was noticed and Rust 3 has only one reed player (Howard, clarinet
                and alto sax). The alto sax was evidently identified as Leon Washington by
                the man himself in Record Research 99. I don¹t seem to have this but my
                notes from it at least imply that he confirmed the rest of the personnel as
                now quoted. It would be good to check though.

                on 13/09/2009 16:02, Nick Dellow at nick.dellow@... wrote:

> [...]
                >> > Blues on which the first line of the vocal is ³Well, standing on Garfield,
                >> > mama, near blue El² rather than ³Well, standing on Garfield, mama, near the
                >> > El² is issued here for the first time. I already have two takes and the
                >> > ³blue El² version is on Herwin H108 from the Klatzko/Whelan Collection. On
                >> > the other hand I can¹t hear on any version the other difference noted by
                >> > Richard Rains in the DGF71 notes, ³weren¹t that some good news² rather than
                >> > ³ain¹t that some good news².
                >> > Am I going potty or is something more complicated occurring here. Nick?
                >> >
                >> > on 11/09/2009 14:38, Michael Rader at Rader.Michael@...
                >> > on
                >> > accordion,
                >> > sides
                Sweet
                >> > New
                >>> > >

                >> > Howard Rye, 20 Coppermill Lane, London, England, E17 7HB

              • yves francois
                Message 7 of 16 , Nov 19, 2009
                  Hello, Nick, Michael and all else concerned about Paul Davis CHAMPION 40038     I just purchased Frog Spawn, and will have more  to say in the next day or so, but in the meantime, I see mention in the liner notes about Paul Davis. I agree with the liner notes that it sounds like a black band (the names were usually pseudonymous probably to save money, or have an "anglo" name to sell the record better). The name "Paul Davis" was used on a variety of records on the Champion label - much as certain names were used on ARC etc. I have an interesting theory here regarding this recording (matrix# 18910, you will see why I am taking about matrix # here in a second), when I look for what band a pseudonymous (this is probably just that considering Champion's track record with that name) issue on a record, I look at the matrix numbers, and then play the record you have next to it (easier said than done here!). Well I do not have Champion matrix # 18911, but
                  look what it is ...
                  Jimmy Raschel and His orchestrano dertails except Jimmy Raschel, Estelle Galloway vocalRichmond Indiana November 28 193218911 It Don't Mean A Thing (If It Ain't Got That Swing) (eg vcl) CHAMPION 1653418912 Nobody's sweetheart (jr vcl) (unissued)
                  It is too bad this record is phenomenally rare, it would be instructive to compare it. Think about it - 2 matrix numbers recorded (or mastered) within 3 days of each other, a known black band in Jimmy Raschel (Raschel's bands - territory band Detroit - included such alumni as George Johnson, Henry Savage, Milt Buckner, Bernie Peacock and Howard McGhee over a 17 year period of time), and one that sounds pretty much like a black territory band of that part of the country in the early 1930's - makes one wonder - any one who does own Champion 16534 please check on this (while we are at it were there any references to Raschel by the Argentine guitarist bandleader Ahmed Ratip - who was in detroit in the early middle 1930's?) - too bad I don't have that one, or else I would have. more soon and all the bestYves Francois
                  PS Nick wonderful work on the remastering on this CD - I have to admit the "Jackson's Southern Stompers" Marathon 227 never sounded better - but that is another story I will continue tomorrow from last week (and surprised no one was interested in the gentleman's response - esp 1933 broadcasts of the Johnson band!!)

                  2009/9/11 Michael Rader <Rader.Michael@ web.de>

                  > > No dissent, but, two supplementary questions.

                  > I can only adress one:

                  > > Has anyone ever heard the other Paul Davis (Underneath The Harlem

                  > > Moon)? I

                  > > assume Frog only have access to the reissue on Champion 40038 or they

                  > > would

                  > > have issued the original reverse. As nothing whatever is known about

                  > > this

                  > > band any notion about them is merely a vagrant assumption. On Gennett

                  > > labels

                  > > issue numbers provide no clue to the intended market, not that that is

                  > > conclusive anyway.

                  > Nick might be able to answer this, depending what Frog gave him to work on.

                  > The previous reissue on Harrison B gives Champion 16524 as its source, but

                  > refrains from including the other side, for whatever reason. 78 Quarterly

                  > (under?) estimates 3 known copies, so someone must know the side.

                  > Michael Rader

                  Recent Activity

                   3
                  New Members

                  Visit Your Group

                  Yahoo! News
                  Odd News
                  You won't believe
                  it, but it's true

                  Share Photos
                  Put your favorite
                  photos and
                  more online.

                  Yahoo! Groups
                  Small Business Group
                  Share experiences
                  with owners like you_._,___

                • Nick Dellow
                  Message 8 of 16 , Nov 20, 2009
                    Yves, thank you for your kind words, which are very much appreciated. I also
                    do not possess matrix #18911, more's the pity. It would be good to work out
                    who this particular "Paul Davis" was!

                    2009/11/20 yves francois <aprestitine@...>

> [...]
                    >
                    > > > Moon)? I
                    >
                    > > > assume Frog only have access to the reissue on Champion 40038 or they
                    >
                    > > > would
                    >
                    > > > have issued the original reverse. As nothing whatever is known about
                    >
                    > > > this
                    >
                    > > > band any notion about them is merely a vagrant assumption. On Gennett
                    >
                    > > > labels
                    >
                    > > > issue numbers provide no clue to the intended market, not that that is
                    >
                    > > > conclusive anyway.
                    >

                    > > Nick might be able to answer this, depending what Frog gave him to work
                    > on.
                    >
                    > > The previous reissue on Harrison B gives Champion 16524 as its source,
                    > but
                    >
                    > > refrains from including the other side, for whatever reason. 78 Quarterly
                    >
                    > > (under?) estimates 3 known copies, so someone must know the side.

                  • Bob Eagle
                    Message 9 of 16 , Nov 20, 2009
                      FWIW, Jimmy Raschel's given name was James E. Rachels (sic), the son of a physician. His brother, Arthur W. Rachels, 2 years Jimmy's junior, was also a musician. Rachels is the consistent spelling in official records.

                      Jimmy was born at Mexico, Audrain County, Missouri in 1910, but the family had moved to Danville, Vermilion County, Illinois by 1916 and were still there in 1930. Raschel was later active in Detroit.

                      Bob

> [...]
                      > >
                      > > And Michael is also correct in his belief that there
                      > is another take of the
                      > >
                      > > Dixie Stompers' "Jackass Blues" which has still not
                      > made it onto CD.
                      > >
                      > > Nick

                      > questions.
                      > >

                      > > > I can only adress one:

                      > (Underneath The Harlem

                      > on Champion 40038 or they

                      > whatever is known about

                      > vagrant assumption. On Gennett

                      > intended market, not that that is

                      > > > Nick might be able to answer this, depending what
                      > Frog gave him to work
                      > > on.
                      > >
                      > > > The previous reissue on Harrison B gives Champion
                      > 16524 as its source,
                      > > but
                      > >
                      > > > refrains from including the other side, for
                      > whatever reason. 78 Quarterly
                      > >
                      > > > (under?) estimates 3 known copies, so someone

                      Win 1 of 4 Sony home entertainment packs thanks to Yahoo!7.
                      Enter now: http://au.docs.yahoo.com/homepageset/
                      Message 10 of 16 , Feb 24, 2010
                        I have now got hold of the Gennett ledger sheet relating to this session.

                        It offers no support for the seductive notion that this may be the Jimmy
                        Raschel band under pseudonym. The Raschel masters are clearly marked ³Race²,
                        the Davis masters are not. This is not absolutely conclusive because this is
                        a marketing assignment not a cultural one. 99% of the time this will
                        coincide but it is not a necessary relationship.

                        What is apparently conclusive is the arrival of the first volume of Richard
                        J. Johnson & Bernard Shirley¹s ³American Dance Bands on Records and Film
                        1915-1942² (Fairplay, CO, Rustbooks, 2010). This reveals what no one has
                        apparently ever bothered to mention before. This was Davis¹s first session
                        and is the only one in Jazz Records. The band actually made thirteen more
                        sessions for Gennett up to 29 July 1933, producing twenty-eight more issued
                        titles. Nineteen of these were issued in a special series for use at skating
                        rinks. Most of these are waltzes, so are many of the others though there is
                        a version of Shuffle Off To Buffalo on Champion 16591.

                        Not only that, but Johnson and Shirley have a personnel for the band from
                        December 1931, which is nearly a year before Black & Tan.

                        I think we have to accept that this is an amazingly idiomatic reading of an
                        arrangement by a white territory band which usually spent its time in other
                        areas of music entirely.

                        Incidentally there is no doubt that the Jimmy Raschel band were
                        African-Americans. These are not pseudonymous Davis items. I have several
                        personnels of Raschel¹s band and they include known names like the great
                        Chicago drummer Hillard Brown.

                        It is not inconceivable that Davis might have hired the Raschel band to
                        produce idimomatic versions of this material and issued it under the name of
                        his own band, but there is no supporting evidence for this theory and what
                        evidence there is is against it. To completely rule out skullduggery on
                        somebody¹s part, we need to hear Davis¹s ŒUnderneath The Harlem Moon¹.
                        Anyone seen it around?

                        Message 11 of 16 , Feb 24, 2010
                          Sorry, Yves.

                          Reviewing this I realize you did mention there were other sides on Champion
                          by Paul Davis & His Orchestra, though they are not in the original edition
                          of the American Dance Band Discography.

                          So the crucial piece of new information here is that this was a real
                          bandleader and a real band, but I agree that it would not be the only
                          instance of a bandleader¹s nme being borrowed for records with which he had
                          only a nominal connection. I only know of this happening on New York labels.
                          Do we know of any instances of it happening on Gennett?

                          It¹s going off the point but at this time Jimmy Raschel¹s band was not out
                          of Detroit, but out of Cincinnati, though some members including Raschel
                          himself apparently belonged to the white AFM local at Benton Harbor,
                          Michigan, which is weird beyond weird! As I have noted the Local number
                          consistenty over several occurrences I doubt it¹s a typo but it would
                          possibly bear re-checking. According to Albert McCarthy (quoting saxophonist
                          George Johnson) the band was originally based at Danvillie, Illinois. My
                          reference to Hillard Brown should be ignored. This is a misreading of
                          Willard Brown who was a saxophonist. Didn¹t do too well with this one!

                          on 24/02/2010 11:18, Howard Rye at howard@... wrote:

> [...]
                          >> > was interested in the gentleman's response - esp 1933 broadcasts of the
                          >> > Johnson band!!)
                          >> >
                          >> > --- On Fri, 9/11/09, Nick Dellow <nick.dellow@...
                          >> <mailto:nick.dellow%40gmail.com>
                          >> > <mailto:nick.dellow%40gmail.com> > wrote:
                          >> >
                          >> > From: Nick Dellow <nick.dellow@... <mailto:nick.dellow%40gmail.com>
                          >> <mailto:nick.dellow%40gmail.com> >
                          >> > Subject: Re: [RedHotJazz] Frog Spawn - a first opinion
                          >> > To: RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com <mailto:RedHotJazz%40yahoogroups.com>
                          >> <mailto:RedHotJazz%40yahoogroups.com>
                          >> > Date: Friday, September 11, 2009, 1:57 PM
                          >> >

                          >> > Firstly, many thanks to Michael for his in-depth review. As Howard
                          >> correctly
                          >> >
                          >> > surmised, the Paul Davis transfer was taken from Champion 40038.
                          >> >
                          >> > And Michael is also correct in his belief that there is another take of the
                          >> >
                          >> > Dixie Stompers' "Jackass Blues" which has still not made it onto CD.

                        • Bob Eagle
                          Message 12 of 16 , Feb 24, 2010
                            I have a sense of deja vu about this, so my apologies if it has been posted in the past.

                            Raschel's real name was Rachels.  He seems to have been born in 1910 in Mexico, Missouri, but by 1918 the family was at Danville, Illinois, and they were still there in 1930.  Jimmy's brother, Arthur W. Rachels, was also a musician.  Their father was a physician and surgeon.  And the family was shown as Mu (mulatto) in 1910, B (black) in 1920 and Neg (Negro) in 1930 - despite the mother being Ivory!

                            Bob