Who was Lou Arbuckle?

  • vntager8io
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 10, 2009
      On a trip this afternoon to a local record shop, I picked up (among others) a record called "Let's Charleston" by a group billed as "Lou Arbuckle and the Seniors." It's on the Dyna Disc label (CH-817) and likely dates from the early 1960s. It looks like any of the dime-a-dozen corny '20s hotcha nostalgia records of the period, but when I listened to it in the store, I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the recording and the performances. These are interesting instrumental arrangements of things like "The Charleston," "Black Bottom," "The Varsity Drag," and others played "seriously" without the usual corny novelty effects. I suspect that Arbuckle is only a pseudonym and that the band consists of some notable studio pros. Any way of finding out? A Google search turned up nothing I didn't already know. Does anyone have any further information on this fascinating record? Anyone know who's behind the name "Lou Arbuckle"?

      Thanks for any help,

      Bryan W.