BILL DILLARD 1929/30 and Jelly Roll Morton trumpets

  • yves francois
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 26, 2009
         Hello everyone
      I have received(from an Amazon purchase) an excellent CD recorded in 1991 (and issued on Storyville) of swing trumpet star Bill Dillard. Besides the fact that he shows to be a considerably better player than his neglect in the history books make of him (the plunger work is truly masterful, I remember his some of best work with Wells to be of that nature - certainly better than the rather commercial Hill orchestra, save for "Passionette"), there was a fascinating bit of information:
      " By June (from the liner notes this is meant to be 1929) Bill (Alexander) and Barney (Alexander) had joined Jelly Roll Morton's touring band beginning with the recording of eight titles for Victor records that same month."
         That's interesting, 8 titles recorded with Morton in June 1929 would seem to be the dates with Bacquet et all. I believe however that the trumpets have been identified on that series of sessions - or is it set in stone? The p personnel includes Alexander, as follows:

      Walter Briscoe (lead tp); Boyd Rosser (solo tp); Charlie Irvis (tb); George Baquet (cl); Walter Thomas (as); Paul Barnes (as); Joe Thomas (ts); Jelly Roll Morton (p–shouts 1); Barney Alexander (bj); Harry Prather (bb); William Laws (d).
      from the Jelly Roll Morton website. Noted there is that both Theo Zwicky and Al Vollmer did research, and that Dillard was working for Vollmer in 1991 (Harlem Blues and Jazz Band), my question is regarding the trumpets on this session. Of course the other option is that Dillard perhaps recorded with Morton a little later in 1929 or 1930, there are plenty of sessions where unknowns abound - and are we sure of Bubber Miley on the 5th March 1930 session (there is no musical evidence that one of the two trumpets is Miley, indeed I would presume this to NOT be Miley, who shows up in full force in the later two sessions in March 1930), and since Pinkett and Dillard were together with Bingie Madison , would not the 5th March, and the June 1930 sessions ("Load Of Coal" etc) have the possibility of Dillard. Any ideas on this, Bill seemed to be rather a sober personality with regard to facts, but perhaps dates (and remember in the session with his friend before
      the tour) could have been somewhat clouded up, I know that this was the case on occasions when speaking to Franz Jackson
      about the exact years on who he was playing with.
         All comments would be appreciated, I hope that again my not owning many Storyville magazines may be making certain questions redundant.
      Thanks in advance
      Yves Francois