Re: Fats Waller 1941 touring band?

  • ikey100
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 17 9:12 AM
      Thank you, Yves Francois; so that indicates that the usual Rhythm members were indeed the core of the bigger touring group. I had checked the discography, but overlooked the larger personnel and location on the July date. In 1941, Fats made recording sessions every other month until a gap from July to October, so I had assumed that the Los Angeles Paramount gig was during that time, but with a recording session in Hollywood in July, it appears that it was actually in mid summer, and the show I mentioned was afterwards, probably on the return leg.

      It would indeed be great to hear airchecks of the expanded group, and it's a bit surprising to me if there are none. I can understand promoters of that time desiring a conventional larger group for these shows, and one would think the band used barely sketched head arrangements. Soloists of the calibre of Bill Coleman might have been given space to shine, although just as Jellyroll Morton proclaimed about his expanded-group territory dates, there is no doubt the crowds were there to see the man at the piano. Judging by the apparent personnel of this tour, however, it seems the added men were extra section players more than featured players.

      Thanks again,

      Warren

      --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, yves francois <aprestitine@...> wrote:

      > Checking the discography, Fats was in NYC in May 1941, and recorded with a 13 piece big band in Hollywood in July 1 1941 data follows:John Hamilton, Bob Williams, Herman Autrey on trumpets, George Wilson and Ray Hogan trombones, Dave McRae and
      > Jimmy Powell altos, Gene sedric and Bob Carroll tenors, Fats on piano/vocals, Al casey guitar, Cedric Wallace bass and yes, Slick Jones on drums.    It would seem logical to me since these are local 802 (NYC) musicians in 1941 that this was the touring band that was both going west in May 1941 and playing in August 1 1941 in whatever city your ticket was from (it would make sense to use the musicians to go back home to NYC, since most of those musicians were working in NYC a few months later).  Now a query: does anyone know if there are there any broadcasts of Fats with these mid sized "augmented" rhythm or the big band, the few mid and large band records seems to inspire Fats to considerably better music, but then I would say having a couple more horns and somewhat better songs may of made the mundanity of recording the same formula over and over agin a little less tedious - I would love to hear a Butler, a Coleman, a Carroll or a Jackson playing with Fats - I happen to like Sedric a lot, but it would be nice to hear some fresh talent w Fats ...Yves Francois
    • John O
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 17 2:35 PM
        from 'Fats In Fact' p 258:

        "Two entries in the International Musician for November 1941 may relate to engagements on the tour mentioned above. The reports are from Local 123, Richmond, Virginia and Local 543, Baltimore, Maryland. The first gives: Fats Waller, Eugene Sedric, David McRae, Theodore McCord, Herman Autrey, J.B. Hamilton, Herbert Flemming, George Wilson, Albert Casey, Cedric Williams, Wilmore Jones, Bob Williams and Jimmy Powell (all of 802) and the second notes all the above names but substitutes Cedric Wallace for Cedric Williams which suggests that the latter is simply an error. Note that Slick Jones is still present."